Boris Johnson

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Postby Fox » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:14 pm

Precisely.

Lettuce Spray wrote:I don't think he'll be elected, But I am really worried that he could be. People may vote for him because 'He Isn't Ken' and because they think he'd be fun, (in the same way that the people of Hartlepool voted for a bloke in a monkey costume). But Boris is a dangerous right-wing politician who does not have a credible viewpoint on many of the issues facing London today. Polly Toynbee in the Guardian thinks his candidacy will reflect very badly on Cameron, and I can only hope it does.
Fox

Postby Thing2 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:25 pm

Julie wrote:to be honest i don't even knowe what his politics are, i just liked him cos he looked cool

Ok. I've been to Oxfam for the really frayed tatty jacket.
When can we meet?
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Thing2

Postby Ketchup » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:31 pm

Someone who gets on with things, speaks his mind and doesn't piss about ensuring he's kept off everyone's toes? I'd vote for him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/guardianpolit ... 93,00.html
- aside from Imams in English and minor disagreements over the Catholic adoption issue and smoking ban I broadly agree with most of that. What's more I feel that Boris is the sort of person who, given the power, would actually enact such legislation rather than suddenly shift some bland form of inaction.

Which of those policies do you disagree with, Gary?

And Polly Toynbee can fuck right off with her sanctimonious preaching. Half of that's spent attacking his Etonian background - fine words from a woman who has been privately educated and sent her offspring to a private school and ignores the fact that Boris went there for free based on his academic talent. It would seem to have been well deserved given the success he's since gone onto.

As far dragging up his reference to cannibals in Papua New Guinea...can't she lighten up? Does it especially matter? It's nice to see someone with a bit of colour in politics. And, oh yes, he can't half speak well.
Ketchup

Postby Lieutenant Woodpigeon » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:55 pm

I'd vote for him.
Lieutenant Woodpigeon

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:04 pm

Ah teh Toynbees, still telling people what to do, and telling us we are not worthy to live on the planet... Its their posh background, don't you know?
Die "beste Show ever" (c) British Sea Power) beinhaltete fliegende Zwiebeln, einen Plüsch-Pferdekopf, Walzer-tanzende Fans und Musiker, das Besteigen der Boxen, das unabsichtliche Zerstören der Speaker (und einer Gitarre und einem Keyboard).
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby Lettuce Spray » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:43 am

Ketchup wrote:Which of those policies do you disagree with, Gary?

My main opbjection to him is that he has always appeared to be a politician who is against things rather than for anything. So, just on teh evidence of the assembled quotes above, he wants to scrap the fleet of modern buses that Ken has built up. He is against support for single parents, not really sure about gay rights and extremely flakey on the environment. How people can say they'd vote for him when we don't even know his viewpoint on something as basic as the congestion charge I don't know.
Lettuce Spray

Postby kevo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:58 am

Why should anyone be thought of as worth electing because 'they have a bit of colour'? An extremely dangerous concept.
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Ketchup » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:38 pm

PS: Note to media. Please stop reporting (and pretending to be outraged by) every politician who once smoked a joint. It's really dull and more than a little pointless. Event bloody Norman Lamont's done a "space cake".

As for Boris:

"I think I was once given cocaine but I sneezed and so it did not go up my nose. In fact, I may have been doing icing sugar."
Ketchup

Postby Red Kite » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:09 pm

I think he should give up politics and just present Have I got news for you on a permanent basis.
Red Kite

Postby Ketchup » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:12 pm

Red Kite wrote:I think he should give up politics and just present Have I got news for you on a permanent basis.

Why not do both and earn an extra £400,000 year?
Ketchup

Postby Drew Peacock » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:46 pm

Red Kite wrote:I think he should give up politics and just present Have I got news for you on a permanent basis.

Well, you're nearly there.
He should give up "politics" alright...and then just fuck off somewhere else.
He's a fuckin' shambles
It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it...
Drew Peacock

Postby a pilgrim's progress » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:36 am

He's great at hosting/being on Have I Got News For You and an affable chap.(I've met him!)

He would make a complete pig's ear as London Mayor, not that this is likely to help given Brown's helped muck the Underground around through giving Metronet the contract in the first place.
a pilgrim's progress

Re: Boris Johnson

Postby pomfob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:10 am

Amusing and strangely relevant thread from eleven (!) years ago. Some quite peculiar theories about the blonde cromartie. Good riddance, hope he's never heard from again.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:59 am

Best not remind "Ketchup" of this now.... or should I? Hmmm....
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Rake » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Haha, good read that, top bouncing!

I think kevo's post was the most apposite. I've always considered BJ to be a very dangerous politician. That affable, bumbling and disheveled appearance belies a deeply intelligent and ideological politician who's hunger for power sets him among the more unscrupulous (out of an admittedly very unscrupulous lot). I'd hope by now that most people see that and either like or dislike him for his ideology rather than his cartoon'ish persona.
Rake

PreviousNext

Return to General