Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby TheAlex » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Blackout wrote:I don't think Crewe even has a venue these days does it? Supposed to be going to a sort of reunion there soon (25 years since starting at Danebank 6th form college) and entertainment options of any sort are looking very fucking bleak indeed.

The only one I know of is The Box.

DYLRM? is my least favourite BSP album too. I do love Waving Flags, and there are other good tracks. The Great Skua is probably my favourite live track, but the album version isn't as good as it could be. I think I prefer the version on Man of Aran.
TheAlex

Postby Heartland » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Well said Pomfob.

I bloody love DYLRM me
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Postby Skinku » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:14 pm

BSP
Puressence
The Cure/Longcut/65dos/MV/iLT maybe Brakes.
I don't count them but that post from Blackout made me feel like I see more than I can remember.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby avocetboy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:01 pm

Bsp
Interpol
iForwardrussia!

Dylrm pisses all over vd
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Postby Wicker Man » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Cold Ethyl wrote:Imagine another Decline or first Waterboys' album..

The first four Waterboys albums are all brilliant.
You hurt me when you diss 'A Pagan Place' by implication.
Wicker Man

Postby Cold Ethyl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:01 am

Wicker Man wrote:
Cold Ethyl wrote:Imagine another Decline or first Waterboys' album..

The first four Waterboys albums are all brilliant.
You hurt me when you diss 'A Pagan Place' by implication.

While I love Fisherman's Blues, don't think it is up there with the first two. This is the sea is a great record but I still prefer the first two, though some of that is no doubt emotional attachment as much as anything else. Lonely nights in my tiny uni bedroom listening to All the things she gave me after splitting up with a very significant other and all that.

Which reminds me, the demo version of Beverly Penn came on shuffle last night and may quite possibly be one of the greatest recordings ever.
"Even if I saw these names grouped together completely out of context away from here... lets say a set of albums sitting together in a charity shop - I would immediately think of you and no other!"

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby redc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:58 am

Cold Ethyl wrote:
Ps mine would go Decline, OS and MOA. Then a compilation of the best from the other three.

I assume with the Moodys it would be 1-7 (in whatever order) + an ep/maxi-single from the other 20 odd?
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby Wicker Man » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:54 pm

Cold Ethyl wrote:While I love Fisherman's Blues, don't think it is up there with the first two. This is the sea is a great record but I still prefer the first two, though some of that is no doubt emotional attachment as much as anything else. Lonely nights in my tiny uni bedroom listening to All the things she gave me after splitting up with a very significant other and all that.

Which reminds me, the demo version of Beverly Penn came on shuffle last night and may quite possibly be one of the greatest recordings ever.

Damn right. Why wasn't that song on 'This Is the Sea', anyway? What a tune.

I quite understand - actually find 'Fisherman's Blues' quite painful to listen to now, thanks to its associations. I'd go and see the forthcoming gig at the De La Warr Pavilion, otherwise: The Waterboys are one of the most significant bands of my life, for one reason or another, but I've never seen them live.

Only heard that legendary Glastonbury '86 recording for the first time this year. My goodness.

Just realised I've seen Tindersticks more times than the Cardiacs, so please amend your data banks accordingly.
Wicker Man

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Wicker Man wrote:The Waterboys are one of the most significant bands of my life, for one reason or another, but I've never seen them live.

Never seen them live either. Love them though. Weird.

Fishermans Blues is strong contender for my funeral song. Or one of the 30 or so i'm going to force everybody to sit through anyway.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Cold Ethyl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:25 pm

Never seen them live? Only seen them a handful of times over nearly a thirty year span but that includes the greatest gig if my life at Riverside in Newcastle, so not too shabby. I was at Glastonbury in 86 just to see them.. Hated the festival so much I made by then boyfriend now long suffering husband drive there, see band and leave to drive back to Cumbria. If either of you would like a copy of the bootleg from Riverside, give me a shout.. Though sadly the recorder appears to have missed off a storming cover of Paint in black. Part of me wonders if I'll ever forgive him for becoming rubbish.
"Even if I saw these names grouped together completely out of context away from here... lets say a set of albums sitting together in a charity shop - I would immediately think of you and no other!"

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby Wicker Man » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Oh, I'd love to hear that - thank you, will PM.

I expect you've heard this, but worth a listen if not, if only for the anecdote about Tomás Mac Eoin missing all his cues: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0211jzz

No idea where they got the picture of Robert De Niro and Doctor Who holding up the album, though.
Wicker Man

Postby Cold Ethyl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Will have a listen to link. I don't do radio so tend to miss things. Heard Scott give reading in Galway last year when he talked about the recording of the Stolen Child.
Will get my techno mate in neros to do some copies as I have been known to send out blank CDs.i pay her in gelatine based products.

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby Wicker Man » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Oh, blimey - that's very kind. I'll see if I can source you any Moody Blues rarities in return. I do often find myself short of blank CDs when I need them, so even the worst case scenario wouldn't be a complete disaster.
Wicker Man

Postby Cold Ethyl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:37 pm

See the forum isn't dead- anywhere that has such discerning music fans has to be a winner.

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Cold Ethyl wrote:See the forum isn't dead- anywhere that has such discerning music fans has to be a winner.

We can build a new forum anyhow.

"We built this forum on a trad arr. tune."
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

PreviousNext

Return to General