Primavera Sound Barcelona (rolling thread since 2009)

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Primavera (2009 onwards, now planning 2014!!)

Postby Blackout » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:08 pm

TheAlex wrote:I didn't realise it was already. I was thinking of going to watch Slowdive again (and the other good bands).

Can you get to Portugal in 3 days?
http://www.optimusprimaverasound.com/artistas

Barcelona was, as ever, incredible. I keep meaning to do Porto instead one year but realistically I don't think this will ever happen......
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby TheAlex » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:01 pm

Blackout wrote:
TheAlex wrote:I didn't realise it was already. I was thinking of going to watch Slowdive again (and the other good bands).

Can you get to Portugal in 3 days?
http://www.optimusprimaverasound.com/artistas

That looks like a good lineup.

Even though I didn't realise Primavera was so soon I've been eyeing up Slowdive's festival appearances. All the best (or most convenient) locations are too soon e.g. Paris, Portugal...
TheAlex

Postby redc » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:53 am

Pomfob - a perfectly timed release for you to relive those Barcelona moments:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yacht-Rock-Vari ... Yacht+rock
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby pomfob » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:44 pm

redc wrote:Pomfob - a perfectly timed release for you to relive those Barcelona moments:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yacht-Rock-Vari ... Yacht+rock

That's pretty much all we listened to on board...that & The Replacements (the one person with a Spotify account was a big fan).

And Dero - tomorrow. 11am. Hup to it.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Dero » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:58 pm

It looks like you can't get a cheap VIP ticket unless you bought one this year - unless I misunderstand that.

Means I might have to wait for the full price ones?
Can a man of perception respect himself at all?
Dero

Postby pomfob » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Dero wrote:It looks like you can't get a cheap VIP ticket unless you bought one this year - unless I misunderstand that.

Means I might have to wait for the full price ones?

Full price are €250...are they really worth it?
pomfob

Postby Dero » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:29 pm

I'd look at it as an investment for the year after that if they keep that rule.

I think I'd make enough use of it that it'd be worth it, it's likely one of the only festivals I'll go to in 2015 too so I can justify this pretty easily :)
Can a man of perception respect himself at all?
Dero

Postby pomfob » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:38 am

Boy oh boy, am I in a shitty mood now. Ready at 11:00 for the first batch of 2015 tickets, & the portal goes belly up, presumably due to the 1,000s of people trying to buy 'em. It's still knackered, even though they've announced on Twitter all the tickets are gone. Bollocks.
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 pm

I was quite surprised by how smoothly it was running at 11am...... though by the time I'd got to the checkout page it had died. I had been more than a little concerned when they informed us there wouldn't be any on Seetickets this year, as I know from past experience that Portal is flaky to say the least. I did get in in the end, though after regular tickets were sold out - and as we had bought cheapo VIP last year we had codes. (It was fairly random that we'd bought cheapo VIPs for 2014 as I'd never done that before, not for anything ever, I think I was feeling flush last year which I'm certainly not right now but there you go). Which is when the fun really started - you could only buy one ticket per account on the VIPs, mine went through fine, then Nick's code didn't work (seems a few 2014 Seetickets customers had the same thing), which would have left us with one cheapo VIP and therefore have to buy a second at full price which personally I don't think is worth it and wouldn't normally consider, which would have annoyed me immensely. Thankfully on the 5th go the code suddenly worked (and as I had been pasting it each time this wasn't a typing thing)... so yeah we had secured both tickets by about 12.45 our time, leaving me 15 minutes to de-frazzle myself and switch my head back into work mode before a really important meeting... I'm left feeling rather tired, mildly empathetic with what Glastonburians have to go through every year, even a little guilty, as opposed to the usual "got em!" jumps for joy...

They do pay attention to problems though (eg 2013's crappy ATP stage layout which was fixed this year, or the 2011 cashless bar debacle) and I wouldn't be surprised to see external ticket agencies reinstated for the 2016 sale.

Time to edit that thread title again then....
And there she was....

Blackout

Re: Primavera!!!!

Postby pomfob » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:49 pm

Blackout wrote:Time to edit that thread title again then....

Excellent work...it's rather lovely how we keep this going.

I'm happy to report that I'm now the owner of a second-tranche pleb ticket (still some left at €115 by the looks of it). Nearly wasn't though - marvellous timing by the bank to do a security check and block payment...
pomfob

Re: Primavera Sound Barcelona (rolling thread since 2009)

Postby Skinku » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:25 pm

House.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby pomfob » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:22 pm

First act announced...The Strokes! Woo hoo. I can almost guarantee there will be someone better on.
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:25 pm

It's the thread that will not die! Welcome back my old friend :)

Records show that I never watch all of the main stage headliners and some years don't even see any of them. There just aren't a lot of bands I like that are big enough to headline a festival as big as Primavera's got these days. This bothers me not one jot, given that the ATP stage line-up alone is usually better than most whole festivals. And I wouldn't mind seeing the Strokes just the once actually - I never did when they were "the thing" 12-15 years ago, even when BSP supported them in 03 cos it was the end of the year and as usual I'd run out of leave/money... and yeah they might be posh boys playing at rock'n'roll but (a) some of their songs are good and (b) it still cracks me up after all these years that Albert Hammond (Bootleg)'s son is in a proper band.

Anyway the really important thing is that we are just two weeks away from the Primavera Equinox - as in, the week when the next one is closer in time than the last one :)
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby TheAlex » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:24 pm

I saw a couple of songs of The Strokes when they ridiculously headlined a festival not long after their album had been released (Leeds '01 or '02 I think). What I saw was pretty good - and I strongly disliked them at the time. I still hate songs from that first album but I have liked the odd song I've heard since.
TheAlex

Postby Blackout » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:07 pm

This is doing the Twitter rounds today. Real or fake? (This does happen pretty much every year with someone, and it's about 50/50 on past counts)

(If it is real let's hope they're in as much denial about most of what happened after the second album as most level headed music fans, though the subsequent employment of Mr Bell doesn't exactly instil confidence on that count....)
Attachments
0AOO-Yny.jpg
?????????????????????????
0AOO-Yny.jpg (87.93 KiB) Viewed 12032 times
And there she was....

Blackout

PreviousNext

Return to Meet ups