Primavera Sound Barcelona (rolling thread since 2009)

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Primavera Sound Barcelona (rolling thread since 2009)

Postby pomfob » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Shall we start the 2017 rumour mill? Yeah, fuck it, why not.

Yello. Yep, I reckon they'll get the Swiss bastards. This was suggested to me pretty much the week after Primavera Sound 2016 ended, and at the time it sounded ridiculous. Now, much less so.

Swans. Touring that time of year, finishing off the current phase of Swans, so makes sense. See also anyone else doing that Transmissions festival in Manchester at the end of May (The Fall, Loop, Royal Trux, TINThisHeat).

British Sea Power...well, they've played before and there'll be a new LP to promote...
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:50 pm

As has been noted elsewhere by Blackout, we've passed the Primavera Sound Equinox - where the last one is now further away than the next one. Huzzah! And the promoters must know this too, as they've posted 20.1.17 up on their Twitter feed (and presumably elsewhere). Line up announcement date, I guess. Rumour mill is suggesting Bon Iver, The XX & Smashing Pumpkins. Excellent, I was hoping to avoid the main stages in 2017.
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:26 am

Or...maybe they'll announce the line up today.

http://www.primaverasound.es/?lang=en#

Yes to Bonnie Langford & The XX, no to Pumpkies & Yello.
pomfob

Postby Mr Bod » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:31 pm

I'l go if they promise a slayer vs Grace Jones onstage together in some form of hard core pull up to the bumper action..

or thinking about how that sounds after typing it may be not but it doe shows the diversity on offer here!
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby giftonnoelwilliamsagent » Fri May 05, 2017 1:35 pm

Timetable is out (on the app). I'm only doing Saturday - no major clashes, I'll trade in some of Arcade Fire for a full Wild Beasts set (probably) but apart from that...
Also posted as robbieblakesdriver c 2003-6, blaugrana 2009-15, burnleynotbarcelona 2017
giftonnoelwilliamsagent

Postby Blackout » Fri May 05, 2017 2:41 pm

I really should get the app sometime, bet I end up doing it on the Monday afternoon. Timings all up on individual artist pages on the main site though so you can have a stab at working it out without.

giftonnoelwilliamsagent wrote:Timetable is out (on the app). I'm only doing Saturday - no major clashes, I'll trade in some of Arcade Fire for a full Wild Beasts set (probably) but apart from that...

Probably the right choice given that the Rayban stage is the best festival stage in the world and Mango is, I'm guessing (given that Arcade Fire are on it) is the other big one opposite the Heineken. This does of course presume you have been before. If not, you'll see what I mean when you get there.

I realise that Primavera is a bit of a musical elitist wankers' festival in the first place and this makes me basically an elitist wanker squared, but I really don't like that whole "new" bit on the south side of the site, it just feels like it could be any old festival (obviously with better weather). Quick scan of the lineups says I probably won't be spending much time that end anyway. This is good. Put all the more mainstream stuff on them two, keep "old Primavera" weird. Though Aphex Twin on a big one... that's going to be very odd. And clashes with the Damned who are on Adidas, I'm trying to remember which stage that even is these days. I'm guessing Primavera (stage) is the same as it was last year, formerly the (new) ATP stage AKA what was the old main stage before they built the two big ones... Seat? Possibly a stage down at the Raval like least year? Need to find out, Playback Maracas are on it and they look fucking nuts. Presumably sponsored by the automotive manufacturer, as opposed to just being a big seat (though that would be good). And by process of elimination I am guessing Adidas is what used to be Vice next to Pitchfork.

Surprised to see The Wedding Present at the small Apolo, will have to get in early for that. No listings for the small Apolo Tuesday night yet though which bodes well for them sticking a Polish showcase in there as usual.

Sorry, I seem to be splurging my unfiltered thoughts onto here. Again.
I should just get the app and shut up really.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby giftonnoelwilliamsagent » Fri May 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Blackout wrote:I really should get the app sometime, bet I end up doing it on the Monday afternoon. Timings all up on individual artist pages on the main site though so you can have a stab at working it out without.

giftonnoelwilliamsagent wrote:Timetable is out (on the app). I'm only doing Saturday - no major clashes, I'll trade in some of Arcade Fire for a full Wild Beasts set (probably) but apart from that...

Probably the right choice given that the Rayban stage is the best festival stage in the world and Mango is, I'm guessing (given that Arcade Fire are on it) is the other big one opposite the Heineken. This does of course presume you have been before. If not, you'll see what I mean when you get there.

I realise that Primavera is a bit of a musical elitist wankers' festival in the first place and this makes me basically an elitist wanker squared, but I really don't like that whole "new" bit on the south side of the site, it just feels like it could be any old festival (obviously with better weather). Quick scan of the lineups says I probably won't be spending much time that end anyway. This is good. Put all the more mainstream stuff on them two, keep "old Primavera" weird. Though Aphex Twin on a big one... that's going to be very odd. And clashes with the Damned who are on Adidas, I'm trying to remember which stage that even is these days. I'm guessing Primavera (stage) is the same as it was last year, formerly the (new) ATP stage AKA what was the old main stage before they built the two big ones... Seat? Possibly a stage down at the Raval like least year? Need to find out, Playback Maracas are on it and they look fucking nuts. Presumably sponsored by the automotive manufacturer, as opposed to just being a big seat (though that would be good). And by process of elimination I am guessing Adidas is what used to be Vice next to Pitchfork.

Surprised to see The Wedding Present at the small Apolo, will have to get in early for that. No listings for the small Apolo Tuesday night yet though which bodes well for them sticking a Polish showcase in there as usual.

Sorry, I seem to be splurging my unfiltered thoughts onto here. Again.
I should just get the app and shut up really.

You can safely assume I've been before, if I hadn't I probably wouldn't have seen my dad for about 15 years. He lives in the environs of Barcelona, what better excuse for a visit ?
(Think you're right re Mango - I'm assuming it's the Spanish (whoops, "Catalan") retailer - my wife has been alerted re any freebies, unlikely I've said).
Seat is in the Raval at the CCCB, preferred it when the free stuff was in the city park. One of my biggest regrets is missing The Twilight Sad there in 2014. Partly made up for it, in my mind only , by seeing them at Sala BeCool in 2015.
Also posted as robbieblakesdriver c 2003-6, blaugrana 2009-15, burnleynotbarcelona 2017
giftonnoelwilliamsagent

Postby pomfob » Thu May 11, 2017 8:26 am

Shellac on stupidly early, but playing on Sunday evening as well, so I can't complain too much.
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Thu May 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Tuesday Polish showcase stuff is up on the main website now and looks as demented and glorious as ever. (And I think Australians NO ZU are currently winning the best promo picture league. In fact Thursday daytime at the CCCB appears to be entirely Australian).
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby pomfob » Fri May 19, 2017 8:10 am

No surprise that Grandaddy have cancelled. Arab Strap as replacement, though.
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Fri May 19, 2017 8:15 am

Blackout wrote:Tuesday Polish showcase stuff is up on the main website now and looks as demented and glorious as ever.

Going to have to miss the first of the Polish bands (look who's on upstairs!!!) but the other 2 look proper out there. Superb stuff.
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Fri May 19, 2017 8:19 am

pomfob wrote:
Blackout wrote:Tuesday Polish showcase stuff is up on the main website now and looks as demented and glorious as ever.

Going to have to miss the first of the Polish bands (look who's on upstairs!!!) but the other 2 look proper out there. Superb stuff.

Yep saw that. Should be fine to get in the small room after, it'e never massively full for the Polish stuff. Ridiculously. That's become one of my highlights....

And no disrespect intended but I was never likely to want to watch Grandaddy. Arab strap however... YASSSS! as I believe those of the corresponding nationality might say :)
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby pomfob » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:41 am

Tuesday 4 July, midday CEST (so 1100 BST). €150. You know the drill.
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Fri May 25, 2018 8:11 am

The weather looks nice in Catalonia this time of year :)
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:01 am

Let's hope it's as nice the same time next year

(2019 tickets in the bag. Brilliant.)

Quite amusing to look back at my first post on this thread now - and despite the massive expansion of the festival site and heinous plunge in beer quality, most of it still stands - not least the bit about there still, somehow, being enough bars and bogs :)

Also don't let any of my Twilight Sad crew mates see the post I made here on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:09 pm (middle of page 8) though I still agree with that, too
And there she was....

Blackout

Previous

Return to Meet ups