Con Club, Lewes, Friday 14 December

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Con Club, Lewes, Friday 14 December

Postby pomfob » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:11 am

Oh c'mon, you've all been expecting this...

Pre-gig pub? No idea, suggestions welcome. I presume there aren't that many.
Offers of lifts? Well, you never know.
Spare beds? Does anyone actually live in Lewes?
Cheap digs? Well, the Travelodge in Brighton was cheap when I booked it (lateish trains from Lewes to Brighton, winner)
Spare tickets? Because it's sold out, of course. Ooh look, here's a couple

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13760

DMs still down, unfortunately.

Planning on arriving about 1800, need to introduce Mr Bod to DeLacey for their mutual benefit.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Re: Con Club, Lewes, Friday 14 December

Postby Mr Bod » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:33 am

Indeed you do Sir, I may well beat you in to town, but only as I am not staying over as Thameslink have started running late trains again .. or at least so they say ..

This is the last train back to London by my working out for any one going that way..

Lewes [LWS] 23:34
Brighton [BTN] 23:49
Brighton [BTN] 00:04
London St Pancras International [STP] 01:43

but folks staying over in Brighton you have much more drinking time until the 00:27

But after that it's a bus all weekend as no trains at all from Lewes on Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 December

And hear ends your travel update ...
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby Blackout » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:06 pm

Hoping to be in town about 6ish and staying in the White Hart pub/hotel I last stayed in for the Berwick village hall weekender, it was nice (though disclaimer that that was actually over 7 years ago!!) which obviously means we get to deal with Sussex's rail replacement bus fun on Saturday morning, but just didn't want to be having to travel again that day. Nick and I have reserved a table for us to have tea in the pub/hotel at 7pm, the menu's fairly basic pub grub (sample menu here
http://www.whitehartlewes.com/wp-conten ... u-2018.pdf )but I figured we wouldn't need the hassle of going out looking for somewhere. It's only 4 minutes walk from the venue. There'll probably be space for others, or if you want to ensure a table then give them a call.

Various people have recommended the Snowdrop pub which is on the road out of town, about 20 minutes walk from the venue. We ate there when we were down for Lewes psychfest in January 2017 and had the best halloumi "fish"nchips ever. Real fish of course also available for you who eat that stuff, there was actually a full pub menu there too but pretty much everyone seemed to be eating those. Quality beers / open fires etc too, really lovely. We tried a couple of other pubs too but they weren't all that. The festival's warm-up night was in the Con Club and it's a fantastic venue.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby kevo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:06 am

Lewes is a great little historic town and was home to Yan, Hammy and the Secretary during the early years of BSP (Fear of Drowning was inspired by the Lewes floods of 2000). It used to be my manor too (I grew up a few miles away), so here are some tips for anyone coming to the gig.

First of all pubs. These are the best ones imho:

The Snowdrop: Quirky, eccentric pub, slightly out of the centre (head down Cliffe High St and turn right) - but well worth the detour (everywhere is reasonably close in any case). Fun decor, music, and, as Blackout said, does great food.

The Gardeners Arms, Cliffe High Street. Nice little pub and home of the Cliffe Bonfire Society. You usually get a few odd Lewes characters in here!

The John Harvey. Just behind the Gardeners, along the river. The Harveys Brewery pub.

Lansdown Arms. Handily placed a minute from the station. Maybe a slightly younger, trendier vibe. Interesting decor. Always a pleasant place for a pint before/ after your train.

The Swan. Really lovely old Harveys pub in a nice part of town, at the end of Southover High St. The only pub in Lewes I know of with a beer garden.

Pubs to avoid (though they may have got better since I last visited): the Royal Oak and the Volunteer.

As for ones in the immediate vicinity of the venue, there are four I can think of: the Pelham Arms, the Black Horse, the Brewer's Arms and the Rights of Man. 'Hungry Joe' (Damselfly) elsewhere suggested the Brewers as the best meet up one. Never been in, but trust his judgement. The Rights of Man, another Harveys pub, is a bit bland but might have more space. Never visited the other two. Apart from the Snowdrop, everywhere else is within a 5-10 min walk, so take your pick.

Other things to see/do:

The Castle. Great views from the tower at the top (though you have to pay to get in). At the back of the castle precincts is Castle Lane, a spooky late-night detour which comes out near the Con Club (lots of ghosts in Lewes - partcularly in the little lanes that run down to Friars Walk).

Harveys Brewey and the brewery shop (all BSP fans should pick up a Bob Copper ale!), on Cliffe High Street.

Keere St, off the main High St. A very steep cobbled lane, where some prince or other once drove a horse and carriage for a bet.

This comes out at Southover Grange and Southover High St, Anne of Cleeves House and the ruins of Lewes priory. Turn left and you are back at the station and the Dripping Pan, Lewes FC's scenic ground, haunted by ghost monks. Turn right for the Swan.

If anyone has a bit more time on either the Fri or Sat, I'd recommend a walk along Juggs Road, an ancient track that used to lead to Brighton. It starts at the other end of Southover High St to the station (right next to the Swan), and takes you to Kingston Windmill. Beautiful views of the surrounding Downs. From the windmill you can head down to Kingston village and the Juggs Inn.

In the other direction, you can head up Mount Caburn, an atmospheric neolithic hill fort overlooking the Ouse valley. North west of the town, you can also walk up to the old racecouse to the battle site on Mount Harry.

Finally, a miscellaneous Lewes BSP fact: the vinyl 7" of Carrion was released in a limited edition of 1,264 copies to commemorate the date of the Battle of Lewes (allegedly......)
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby eddiecurry » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 am

Great review - although I think I am going to get into town just as the band take to the stage ...

What is the parking situation like at/near the Con Club? I went to Lewes a few months ago and found parking to be a bit sparse.
eddiecurry

Postby gtw » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:00 am

A very useful thread. Thanks all.

We too are staying in the White Hart. In no rush to get anywhere on Saturday so if the weather is fine certainly up for one of Kevo's walks.
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby kevo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:09 am

eddiecurry wrote:Great review - although I think I am going to get into town just as the band take to the stage ...

What is the parking situation like at/near the Con Club? I went to Lewes a few months ago and found parking to be a bit sparse.

There is a car park on Westgate Strret, literally just round the corner from the venue, but I suppose it might get full when a gig is on. There is a much bigger public car park by the station (about 10 mins walk from venue).

kevo

Postby Rake » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:52 pm

I used to spend a lot of time in Lewes as variously my brother and band mates lived there. I'm not so familiar these days and admit my recommendation on the Brewer's Arms as a meet-up venue was based on it being decent on my recent trip for a pre-Spear of Destiny gig drink, including bumping into Kirk Brandon in there. I appreciate the last part of that can be viewed as good or bad depending on your opinion of Mr.Brandon (I know The Secretary certainly doesn't speak highly of him), but on a 'take as you find' tip I've always found him pleasant and good value (as long as you don't ask him about Boy George). I'll likely be in there if I get over in time. Again, I accept that this may be viewed as another reason to avoid by some ;-)
Rake

Postby kevo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:24 am

Mr Bod wrote:Indeed you do Sir, I may well beat you in to town, but only as I am not staying over as Thameslink have started running late trains again .. or at least so they say ..

This is the last train back to London by my working out for any one going that way..

That's pretty painful. Last direct one is 22.48. Could be do-able if the band finish a bit early.

kevo

Postby Mr Bod » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:57 am

kevo wrote: That's pretty painful. Last direct one is 22.48. Could be do-able if the band finish a bit early.

Indeed that train would cut a few hours off the trip home..but I was not expecting to get it, but as you say it will depend on set times .. which I don't think we any heads up on?

The venue has no info and does not even list the gig but does list opening hours for a Friday as:

Friday and Saturday 4:30 pm - 11:30 pm N.B. Hours may be extended on gig nights.

which don't help any..

But we do know who the support is from, this lot.. expect fuzz...what ever that may be,,

Rex Speedway and The Denim Avengers

"Hot Rod Fuzz in Blue Gold."
Rex-Fuzz
Dr T-Bone Flaps-Fuzz
Buff Betty-Fuzz Bass
Dim Diamond-Fuzz key
Meatbag-Fuzz kit
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby pomfob » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:37 pm

Mr Bod wrote: we do know who the support is from, this lot... expect fuzz...what ever that may be, Rex Speedway and The Denim Avengers

Rex has supported a few times before. They're perfectly fine. Not rushing for them, however.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Poshseapower » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:16 pm

kevo wrote:
Mr Bod wrote:Indeed you do Sir, I may well beat you in to town, but only as I am not staying over as Thameslink have started running late trains again .. or at least so they say ..

That's pretty painful. Last direct one is 22.48. Could be do-able if the band finish a bit early.

Will be on the same train. which as it’s so slow, arrives 7 minutes after my last train home out of kings cross. Now having to stay on at st Pancras for another hour and a cab home. Relying on our local unreliable taxi firm to pick up at 3am at the station, feeling nervous.
Poshseapower

Postby kevo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:40 pm

BSP on stage at 9.15 so that 10.48 train doesnt look at all feasible.

kevo

Postby kevo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 am

gtw wrote:A very useful thread. Thanks all.

We too are staying in the White Hart. In no rush to get anywhere on Saturday so if the weather is fine certainly up for one of Kevo's walks.

Lewes are at home to Margate on Sat - so that may be another option. The Dripping Pan is a great place to watch a football match.

kevo

Postby Poshseapower » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:26 am

No it doesn’t, long night ahead. Doing the best encore ever will make up for it.
Poshseapower

Next

Return to Meet ups