Barbican Centre, London, Saturday 24 January

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Barbican Centre, London, Saturday 24 January

Postby pomfob » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:14 am

LikeAnotherLanguage wrote:Similar schedule for the new date? I'll be in town from about 18:30, where will everyone else be?

Yes, I think the same pub as last time makes sense - though hanging around in the alley outside might be less pleasant in January.

I'm not entirely sure of my schedule, but I'm aiming to arrive early and see Darren Hayman at the Union Chapel at lunchtime. Bit concerned about that one, as it's free and I've no idea about the capacity of the venue.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Re: Barbican Centre, London, Saturday 24 January

Postby pomfob » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:17 am

This was the pub we went to before & after;

Ye Old Red Cow: http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... Smithfield
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:27 am

pomfob wrote:
LikeAnotherLanguage wrote:Similar schedule for the new date? I'll be in town from about 18:30, where will everyone else be?

Yes, I think the same pub as last time makes sense - though hanging around in the alley outside might be less pleasant in January.

I'm not entirely sure of my schedule, but I'm aiming to arrive early and see Darren Hayman at the Union Chapel at lunchtime. Bit concerned about that one, as it's free and I've no idea about the capacity of the venue.

It's massive, and yes we were planning on going to that too. I've been to quite a lot of Daylight Music events there, always a good use of a Saturday in London. Doors open at 12 (and they start the music almost immediately, tends to run til about 2 or 3) so get there before opening and you should be OK, they don't exactly publicise them massively anyway. (And whilst it is technically free as in they can not force you to pay in under the agreement they have with the church, a "donation" of £3.50 (usually) is pretty much compulsory).

Depending on timings we may then head over to the Shacklewell Arms and watch the first few bands at their all dayer (our mate's band's on at 6 I think), it's too cold to stand about outside pubs and the advantage of seated theatre gigs is so long as you get there before the show you don't have to think about getting a good spot.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby pomfob » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:04 pm

I knew I could rely on the collective for further intelligence about the Darren H show. Thanks. Definitely want to see the first band, it's Amelia Fletcher from Tallulah Gosh. Not so bothered about the other one as it features Sarah Cracknell.

Might tag along to the Shacklewell Arms thing as well.
pomfob

Postby redc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:45 pm

pomfob wrote:

Do you mean:

gtw wrote:Pre BSP Brassy Barbican Beerfest:

5.30pm - 6.25pm. The Rising Sun: http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... Smithfield

6.30pm - 7.25pm. Ye Old Red Cow: http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... Smithfield

Aftershow: Head back to Ye Old Red Cow

Or:

Kramer wrote:Extended drinking options for those who want them are below. This wasn't the real ale trail I originally envisaged, but maybe that is something for another day.

Mother Kelly's, 251 Paradise Row, E2 9LE. 2.45pm-3.30pm. http://www.motherkellys.co.uk

Kings Arms, 11a Buckfast Street, E2 6EY. 3.40pm-4.30pm. http://thekingsarmspub.com

That then leaves plenty of time to get to the official meet up at the Rising Sun at 5.30pm. The Rising Sun is a half-hour walk from The Kings Arms, or a ten-minute walk from Liverpool Street, from where you can take the tube.

I would be up for the earlier start if others are.
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby Mr Bod » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:33 pm

It being a Saturday and just me and Mrs Bod doing this one I may only have time a quick one before doors, is the plan still for the last drinking den before entering venue to be the Ye Old Red Cow?
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby pomfob » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:45 pm

Mr Bod wrote:It being a Saturday and just me and Mrs Bod doing this one I may only have time a quick one before doors, is the plan still for the last drinking den before entering venue to be the Ye Old Red Cow?

I think so...though that depends on whether RedC resurrects Kramer's longer tour or not. Pretty sure my plan looks like this;

Lunchtime gig at the Union Chapel
Check in at digs
A few bands at the Shackewell Arms
Pint or two in the Red Cow
Sea Of Brass
Another pint or two.
pomfob

Postby Mr Bod » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:35 pm

pomfob wrote:
Mr Bod wrote:It being a Saturday and just me and Mrs Bod doing this one I may only have time a quick one before doors, is the plan still for the last drinking den before entering venue to be the Ye Old Red Cow?

I think so...though that depends on whether RedC resurrects Kramer's longer tour or not. Pretty sure my plan looks like this;

Lunchtime gig at the Union Chapel
Check in at digs
A few bands at the Shackewell Arms
Pint or two in the Red Cow
Sea Of Brass
Another pint or two.

Sounds like a good day in the city, sadly mine involves washing machines, children, my parents and a tree someone has cut down without asking first, in fact I may be lucky to make the Red Cow for a pre-doors pint at all,…but if I do I will keep a look out for you old chap …
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Return to Meet ups