Bands you'd love to have seen, or see again.

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Postby Manplow » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:15 am

An Albatross puts on a pretty crazy show.

I'd like to see Comet Gain play live sometime. Don't get to see many British bands play this side of the Atlantic.
Manplow

Postby Tristan » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:24 am

Never seen Radiohead...definitely top of my list. Bowie would be nice too, but it wouldn't be Ziggy era which would be prime.

BSP as well, please announce a tour guys!
Tristan

Postby Smoggy » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:24 pm

Manplow wrote:An Albatross puts on a pretty crazy show.

Might be seeing them in Leeds in may
Lets All Go
Smoggy

Postby kate o » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:50 pm

When I was 16 I was desperate to see the Libertines at the Leadmill but my mum wouldn't let me go. They never came back, sob.
Lucky escape there, then.
I'd like to see Richard Swift live, he seems like a nice man.
kate o

Postby kevo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:33 pm

kate o wrote:When I was 16 I was desperate to see the Libertines at the Leadmill but my mum wouldn't let me go. They never came back, sob.

Not really. I went to that, but only because of the support (some band called British Sea Power....)
kevo

Postby mycarrion » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:22 pm

Richard Swift is very good live. He may also be nice, but I wouldn't know about that. He does have that stylish hair thing going for him, though.
mycarrion

Postby vyse » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:17 pm

I would have loved to have seen the Smiths live
vyse

Postby Manplow » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:58 pm

Smoggy wrote:
Manplow wrote:An Albatross puts on a pretty crazy show.

Might be seeing them in Leeds in may
Lets All Go

Remember to bring your Viking hats.
Manplow

Postby Martin Our Pravda » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:51 pm

kevo wrote:
kate o wrote:When I was 16 I was desperate to see the Libertines at the Leadmill but my mum wouldn't let me go. They never came back, sob.

Not really. I went to that, but only because of the support (some band called British Sea Power....)

I checked them out once, Newstatesman said one of there songs called "Victorian Ice" was pretty good....it was pretty shit!
Martin Our Pravda

Postby bancroftboy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:24 pm

[quote="de lacey"]

2. Bob Dylan playing to 250,000 people at Blackbushe aerodrome in July 1978 - a stunning 3 hour concert which I have on a mediocre bootleg;

3. British Sea Power at Cargo, Shoreditch on 6 May 2004. You bastards.

i was at blackbushe. was it 3 hours? i remeber arriving and the stage was so far away you couldnt see it (lake - german pomp rock were on) and spending the next several hours working our way through the crowd as bands came and went (graham parker, joan armatrading) until we watched dylan from the very front while all the seated hippies behind told us to sit down

i ruined my back a week before cargo (i ended up off work for 6 months) and was virtually immobile and unconscious on diazapam. i still wish i had gone though. my mates coulnt give my ticket away outside. everyone tels me it was the best ever...

the one i would like to see again is the clash at queens hall belle vue , which is the one they always show bits from when they need clash footage as it was done for tony wilsons so it goes show. totally incendiary and it felt like you were going to change the world
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
bancroftboy

Postby de lacey » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:06 pm

bancroftboy wrote:
de lacey wrote:
2. Bob Dylan playing to 250,000 people at Blackbushe aerodrome in July 1978 - a stunning 3 hour concert which I have on a mediocre bootleg;

3. British Sea Power at Cargo, Shoreditch on 6 May 2004. You bastards.

i was at blackbushe. was it 3 hours? i remeber arriving and the stage was so far away you couldnt see it (lake - german pomp rock were on) and spending the next several hours working our way through the crowd as bands came and went (graham parker, joan armatrading) until we watched dylan from the very front while all the seated hippies behind told us to sit down

i ruined my back a week before cargo (i ended up off work for 6 months) and was virtually immobile and unconscious on diazapam. i still wish i had gone though. my mates coulnt give my ticket away outside. everyone tels me it was the best ever...

the one i would like to see again is the clash at queens hall belle vue , which is the one they always show bits from when they need clash footage as it was done for tony wilsons so it goes show. totally incendiary and it felt like you were going to change the world

You must be quite old BB to have been at Blackbushe!

There is a soundboard recording of that gig in the hands of certain collectors (Clinton Heylin for one).

N
de lacey

Postby Julie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:59 am

I'd love to have seen/seen again

The Smiths

Dolly Parton at the MEN Arena

BSP at Cargo

The Beatles at the height of Beatlemania

Stravinsky's Rite of Spring at the Theatre des Champs Elysees

Joy Division

BSP Baraka
Julie

Postby kevo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:32 am

BSP gigs I wish I'd seen:

Baraka, at the ICA
Ram Inn, Firle - Decline album launch
Scilly Isles
St John Boste, Kendal
Whelan's, Dublin
SXSW, 2003
TT the Bears, Cambridge, MA
Haldern Festival

Bands I wish I'd seen:

Joy Division
The Smiths (actually had a ticket for their gig at Guildford Civic Hall in 1985 but didn't go for some reason. Doh!)

See again:

BSP at Cargo
Radiohead in the tent in Victoria Park, 1999
(the two best gigs I have ever been to)

... and New Order at Birmingham Powerhouse, 1984
kevo

Postby bancroftboy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:57 am

i was 45 last monday de L
if thats old i suppose i am
i regard myself to have been really lucky to have grown up at exactly the right time (15 in 1977) in the right place (manchester was the centre of the musical universe when i was 17) with an older brother who went to gigs all the time and didnt mind me going too
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
bancroftboy

Postby antonjw » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:28 am

mycarrion wrote:
antonjw wrote:Never saw the Smashing Pumpkins, but hoping to see them this summer seeing as they are reformed.

Will be seeing Wilco again in the summer too - really excellent live band (the best I've seen so far).

Will catch BSP I'm sure, too, when they tour the new album.

One of these three bands is actually exciting live.

heh. I wouldn't expect SP to be 'exciting' live - but musically they are one my my favourite bands and so I would hope I would enjoy the gig.

I'd say a similar thing about Wilco - I think they're a great band but not sure I would describe them as exciting, live - brilliant? You bet. Bloody marvellous in fact, and well worth seeing.

BSP live? Excellent musically, no doubt, and exciting, for sure.

I trust I picked the one you meant ;-)

A big point in there is that not every band has to be 'exciting' live.... the most important factor for me is that they are actually good musically - I go to hear them play, first and foremost. Anything else being a bonus.

But if you want 'exciting', as in there are some sort of stage antics and an 'act', then I can recommend the Eagles of Death Metal and Flaming Lips as a couple that stand out from recent memory.
antonjw

PreviousNext

Return to Other Music