DAMSELFLY

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

DAMSELFLY

Postby Rake » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi all. Please excuse the indulgence of a new thread but the old one was getting a bit long in the tooth. My new DAMSELFLY album An Awkward Bow is out in November. Some of you have enjoyed my music thus far so I'll use this thread to keep you posted on AAB news. As such please see links below to the 2 download-only singles from the album, available now to stream / download from Bandcamp. I always like to hear what people think of my music, good, bad or indifferent, so feel free to share any thoughts here. Cheers, Darren

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/track/flamethrower

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/track/hemaneh
Rake

Re: An Awkward Bow

Postby Rake » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:36 pm

You can hear Samara from An Awkward Bow, along with 3 older remixed and remastered tracks, on this sampler EP that I've released via the very good people at Smikkelbaard records (including our very own Lancs). It's only 1Euro to download if you're feeling cheeky.....

https://smikkelbaard.bandcamp.com/album ... ttleground
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:20 pm

That version of A Hunter Gathers is probably my favourite - very End of the Beginning era God is An Astronaut. I love it!

And as you said bad or indifferent and you seem quite open to remixes (!)...this is more indifferent actually - I'm not sure about the drum-sound on Hemaneh (particularly) and Samara. And I think I want them to erupt at the end rather than fade out. I like everything else that's going on in them quite a lot.
TheAlex

Postby TheAlex » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:55 pm

I really like Red Leader Out too - there's often not enough in ambient to keep me interested, but this does, and I wish it was a bit longer!

I had a listen to the previous A Hunter Gathers, and it doesn't seem that different actually - the new one is maybe crisper thanks to the remaster? But aye, crackin' tune.
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:29 am

TheAlex wrote:That version of A Hunter Gathers is probably my favourite - very End of the Beginning era God is An Astronaut. I love it!

And as you said bad or indifferent and you seem quite open to remixes (!)...this is more indifferent actually - I'm not sure about the drum-sound on Hemaneh (particularly) and Samara. And I think I want them to erupt at the end rather than fade out. I like everything else that's going on in them quite a lot.

Thanks for the feedback sir, good to hear from you. Funnily enough I am actually remixing the drums for Hemaneh for the final album version as I'm not 100% happy with the sound of them on the single version (and it's always nice to have a slightly different version I think anyway, especially for those who pay for singles and albums). I think I need them more compressed on Hemaneh, I'll have a play and will share a couple of versions with you for your thoughts. I'm happy enough with the drums on Samara, but again will tweak the album version, might even extend it a bit. Red Leader Out was originally longer, so who knows, a longer version may appear somewhere, sometime :)

Cheers!

PS; I've put back the album release until January now I have the EP release through Smikkelbaard Records, don't want to have them out too close together. This also gives me a bit more time for the final album version tweaks aforementioned.
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:01 am

That sounds good to me - I've already got 6 or 7 album of the year contenders, with more favourite artists to come - which seems a lot more than usual. So from what I've heard of An Awkard Bow so far I'd prefer an early contender for 2018. ;)
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:21 pm

TheAlex wrote:That sounds good to me - I've already got 6 or 7 album of the year contenders, with more favourite artists to come - which seems a lot more than usual. So from what I've heard of An Awkard Bow so far I'd prefer an early contender for 2018. ;)

Haha, cheers mate :)
Rake

Postby Rake » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:38 pm

Release date for digital download / stream will be 31st January 2018. Hoping to get limited edition CD out at same time but just waiting on the printers for the sleeves as they all seem to have hibernated, and I don't blame them.
Rake

Postby Rake » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:52 pm

What ho! You can now preview the album version of 'Hemaneh' here....

http://www.damselflymusic.co.uk
Rake

Postby Rake » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:48 pm

Hello BSP friends,

Exciting news - An Awkward Bow, my second album, is now available to you very good people to stream / download a full two days prior to its official release via Bandcamp....

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com

Unfortunately the CD version is not quite ready. It's a long'ish story, but suffice to say that being a supporter of all things 'British Cottage Industry' can leave you in a bit of a spot when your one-man printing organisation succumbs to a nasty bout of post-festive flu and is unable to work for a few weeks. I think you'll all agree that Tom's health is far more important than having to wait a few extra days or weeks for a shiny thing that spins around and plays music. If you want though, you can order the CD now using the above link and you still get an immediate high-quality download of the album to tie you over until all is well again and the nice sleeves land on my doormat. I will of course endeavour to keep you posted on when the CDs will be shipping out as soon as I know myself.

The Bandcamp page has been redesigned to reflect the feel of the new album. Slate greys, British Racing Green and Chalk White nestle alongside one another in an organic palletscape (?) of the British Isles' magnificent countryside. I hope you like the look of it.....I hope you like the sound of it.....and I hope Brighton & Hove Albion avoid relegation this season.

Yours, for now anyway,

Darren x
Rake

Postby Rake » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:39 pm

Update - limited edition CDs now flying out.....

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:58 pm

I was going to buy the digital version.

But the CD artwork and packaging is rather nice.

So I'm not buying either.

I'm joking! That's rather cruel of me. I hope your heart didn't drop too much then. I'm buying the CD. Thanks for not doing rip-off Bandcamp postage like a lot of bands/artists. I thought it was a Bandcamp-thing until quite recently, when I remembered I could check and set postage for my own band (recently played by Adrian Chiles on BBC Radio 5!).

I'm on my second listen and especially like Flamethrower and Sub Rosa. I like Into Echo's Chamber too, and I guess you'll remember from your first album I'm not usually a big ambient fan. I wasn't sure about the title track on first listen, but it has something about it - I really like the atmosphere you've created. Similarly Let It Flood - which isn't a pleasant listen in terms of the atmosphere, but I want to listen to it. I'll let you know any more thoughts, should I have them.

Nice work and congratulations on being my first contender for album of the year (we'd already had Slowdive for a month this time last year, so you're lucky it's not 2017). :-)

When it comes to your next remix release, I vote for Sub Rosa minus the percussion. I enjoy it all, but particularly love all the other instrumentation that's going on.
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:11 pm

TheAlex wrote:I was going to buy the digital version.

But the CD artwork and packaging is rather nice.

So I'm not buying either.

I'm joking! That's rather cruel of me. I hope your heart didn't drop too much then. I'm buying the CD. Thanks for not doing rip-off Bandcamp postage like a lot of bands/artists. I thought it was a Bandcamp-thing until quite recently, when I remembered I could check and set postage for my own band (recently played by Adrian Chiles on BBC Radio 5!).

I'm on my second listen and especially like Flamethrower and Sub Rosa. I like Into Echo's Chamber too, and I guess you'll remember from your first album I'm not usually a big ambient fan. I wasn't sure about the title track on first listen, but it has something about it - I really like the atmosphere you've created. Similarly Let It Flood - which isn't a pleasant listen in terms of the atmosphere, but I want to listen to it. I'll let you know any more thoughts, should I have them.

Nice work and congratulations on being my first contender for album of the year (we'd already had Slowdive for a month this time last year, so you're lucky it's not 2017). :-)

When it comes to your next remix release, I vote for Sub Rosa minus the percussion. I enjoy it all, but particularly love all the other instrumentation that's going on.

Thanks Alex, CD winging its way to you today. I like the dark'ish humour start to your post too :-)

That's great that you've been played on Radio 5, good work sir!

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the individual tracks, really pleased you like them, and naturally if I stay in your list somewhere for the year I'll be very chuffed indeed. Sub Rosa minus drums is a good call, definitely room to play around there.

Cheers!
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Ah, you'll definitely stay in.

After loads of my favourite artists released albums (and delivered) last year, this one is looking quite barren.

More dark humour for you, though there is some truth to it. An Awkward Bow would make last years list already anyway, so it's definitely going to make this years.

I'll hold you to that version of Sub Rosa now!
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:14 am

TheAlex wrote:Ah, you'll definitely stay in.

After loads of my favourite artists released albums (and delivered) last year, this one is looking quite barren.

More dark humour for you, though there is some truth to it. An Awkward Bow would make last years list already anyway, so it's definitely going to make this years.

I'll hold you to that version of Sub Rosa now!

:)
Rake

Next

Return to Other Music