Tiger & 90s Bands

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Tiger & 90s Bands

Postby TheAlex » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:47 pm

Did anyone see Tiger live back in the mid-late 90s?

I've been having a clear-out for what seems like ages, listening to a load of my old CDs from the mid-90s onwards, and Tiger are one of the more interesting bands. They have a bit of BSP about them (or maybe that should be the other way around) and a bit of a krautrock vibe. And some of their songs go into what you think would be the middle 8, but it isn't, they just rock out and end.

This was their most well known song I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fafr3oN04FA

On first view I thought that was Ricky Gervais at the start of this slightly bizarre video with retro 80s mobile phones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot6Rly6ooho

And if not Tiger, how about other less well known mid-late 90s bands (a lot I first heard on John Peel)? Melys, Urusei Yatsura, Superdrag, Teenage Fanclub, Rialto, Cotton Mather, Fountains of Wayne, Feeder, Cinerama, Silver Sun, 3 Colours Red, Number One Cup, Ultrasound, Wilco, Warm Jets, Snug, Mostly Autumn, Bowery Electric, Longpigs, Symposium...

It's probably my favourite era, even though I wasn't around at the time (musically) to enjoy most of it.
TheAlex

Re: Tiger & 90s Bands

Postby Mr Bod » Thu May 18, 2017 5:16 pm

Yes Tiger! I have a few of their singles hanging around MY Puppet Pal, On The Rose, Race ..

never did get to see them live however which is a shame as i think they would have been good
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby bancroftboy » Fri May 19, 2017 2:17 pm

There were loads of great bands around at the arse end of britpop. I saw Tiger a load of times, they were doing something that not many at that time seemed to be with their droney krauty pop, and I loved Julie Sims the guitarist who was so rocknroll she seemed to be in the wrong band. If I remember they sort of disappeared and by the time their second album came out the world had moved on.
I once saw them at Camden Crawl and then and before them was Warm Jets who were also good. The singer was seeing Zoe Ball and most of their press seemed to concentrate on that.
Urusei Yatsura are one of those bands I wish I could have made everyone come and see, they were absolutely thrilling.
Of the others I saw ultrasound and cinerama several times and really liked both.

It was one of my favourite eras despite its bad press because along with the increased interest in live music caused by britpop came loads of new bands and new venues, bands could grow in the cracks - postbritpop if you will.
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
bancroftboy

Postby TheAlex » Sat May 20, 2017 9:33 pm

I don't think I've heard Tiger's second album - I'll have to hunt it down.

I used to love Warm Jets, particularly Hurricane, and they had some good b-sides like a lot of bands of that era - but I remember Future Signs sounding really dated when I last listened a few years ago.

I saw Ultrasound around the release of Play for Today, which I think beats Everything Picture. They're superb live. It's a shame they've only played London this time, and seem to be a bit disillusioned after two albums into their comeback.

I was hoping Urusei Yatsura would reform for a gig or two after the recent releases, but it doesn't seem likely. I think most of them are in Projekt A-Ko - I love their song Phosphorine, but I don't think they've played live outside of Glasgow, if at all?

Number One Cup are one of the other most unique bands I'd pick out from that era. Slightly off-the-wall pop songs.
TheAlex

Return to Other Music