Best albums of 2016

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Best albums of 2016

Postby pomfob » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:29 am

Salian wrote: Savages - Adore life

I was really disappointed by this LP. Savages are fantastic live, but they release records that sound flat & lifeless to me. Having said that, Adore Life is a lot better than the first record, so maybe the next one might be the one.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Salian » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Agree that they are a huge degree better live, but I think there are some great tunes on there and a fair bit of menace and malice too.
Salian

Postby Skinku » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Minor Victories is on constant play throughout Skinku Castle.
I cant remember which bit to wipe let alone what we have bought.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby Bastian » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Had another listen to the Minor Victories album. I was a bit harsh earlier. It's not too bad.
Bastian

Postby burghblue » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:56 pm

SPT wrote:John Cale – MFANS/Fragments of a Rain Season. One musical genius that 2016 forgot to kill off bookended the year with re-releases of superb records. Music For a New Society got a fascinating make-over and Fragments… is just one of the greatest live albums of all time.

Seconded. Fragments is one of my favourite albums. I'm not sure JC's "curation", specifically the resequencing, was necessary (the illusion of a concert flow is now lost as what used to be continuous applause in between songs now fades in and out), but it is a truly fantastic collection. Brings back very happy memories of seeing him in 1993 - an incredibly powerful solo performance, still one of my top gigs.
You're an absolute shower...
burghblue

Postby SPT » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:27 am

burghblue wrote:Seconded. Fragments is one of my favourite albums. I'm not sure JC's "curation", specifically the resequencing, was necessary (the illusion of a concert flow is now lost as what used to be continuous applause in between songs now fades in and out), but it is a truly fantastic collection. Brings back very happy memories of seeing him in 1993 - an incredibly powerful solo performance, still one of my top gigs.

Haven't seen him in years, but managed to catch him doing both the solo piano thing (at Queen Elizabeth Hall) and a full band gig (at Union Chapel) while I lived in London - both ace. Everything he does is worth a listen. Some of the additional stuff on the fragments re-release is great. Especially like the extra strings.
You can always outrun a golfer

http://www.soundsxp.com
Always changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/
SPT

Previous

Return to Other Music