Cabbage

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Cabbage

Postby Salian » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:43 pm

Bluedot inspired thread.

The EP is great, the videos disturbing, but live, Jesus. A proper shambolic assault, dirty, funny and exciting.
User avatar
Salian
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Cabbage

Postby avocetboy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:15 pm

I've liked what I have heard
How would they survive back in the wild?
User avatar
avocetboy
 
Posts: 2082
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: Where the Samphire grows

Re: Cabbage

Postby Heartland » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Think they were on with The Fall in Manchester last April?

Hmmm.

Maybe I hadn't had enough ale.
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland
 
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Northern England

Re: Cabbage

Postby bancroftboy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Doll, once of this parish, has been bending my ear about them for a while now. Unfortunately they never seem to play London so I may never know
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
User avatar
bancroftboy
 
Posts: 2956
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:08 pm
Location: supine

Re: Cabbage

Postby Blackout » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:22 am

My mate's stepdaughter's partner's band - I've seen them twice and could still go either way. It's all very anarchic and that, but telling everyone you're the best new band in town / the world and heavily signposted "chaos" can only get you so far - the second time they did appear to have a song or two though so we'll see. I'm sure they would love to play London if they could afford to, but (speaking as a former manager of a Manchester based band) unfortunately van hire companies still don't accept payment in the "exposure and a few beers" often offered to bands at this level.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
User avatar
Blackout
 
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:02 pm
Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Re: Cabbage

Postby pomfob » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:30 am

bancroftboy wrote:Doll, once of this parish, has been bending my ear about them for a while now. Unfortunately they never seem to play London so I may never know



She's rather upped her game with this lot. And it seems they're very hot property at the mo'. Sounds like Fat White Family II to me, but I'm coming round to them as well.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
User avatar
pomfob
 
Posts: 1817
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: Where the one eyed bear is king

Re: Cabbage

Postby bancroftboy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:21 pm

pomfob wrote:
bancroftboy wrote:Doll, once of this parish, has been bending my ear about them for a while now. Unfortunately they never seem to play London so I may never know



She's rather upped her game with this lot. And it seems they're very hot property at the mo'. Sounds like Fat White Family II to me, but I'm coming round to them as well.


Indeed, I was only saying to Kramer the other day that them being so often compared to Fat White Family is one of the main things putting me off them.
I have an idea they will be 'over' before I see them.
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
User avatar
bancroftboy
 
Posts: 2956
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:08 pm
Location: supine

Re: Cabbage

Postby avocetboy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:00 pm

bancroftboy wrote:
pomfob wrote:
bancroftboy wrote:Doll, once of this parish, has been bending my ear about them for a while now. Unfortunately they never seem to play London so I may never know



She's rather upped her game with this lot. And it seems they're very hot property at the mo'. Sounds like Fat White Family II to me, but I'm coming round to them as well.


Indeed, I was only saying to Kramer the other day that them being so often compared to Fat White Family is one of the main things putting me off them.
I have an idea they will be 'over' before I see them.


Nowt wrong with Fat White Family
How would they survive back in the wild?
User avatar
avocetboy
 
Posts: 2082
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: Where the Samphire grows

Re: Cabbage

Postby bancroftboy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:45 pm

Matter of opinion of course, however I saw them and hated them - by that I really mean I hated them as people and their music - and being the type of person I am I will never give them another chance especially since they became popular
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
User avatar
bancroftboy
 
Posts: 2956
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:08 pm
Location: supine

Re: Cabbage

Postby Salian » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:38 am

Their last gig in Manchester, at the Ruby Lounge, was spectacular but for many of the reasons highlighted in their deficit column. Mates onstage, gimp masks, adult babies, trousers down and shirts off. Good laugh, shit sound and full of the (aging) Manchester left field hip priests and their teenage kids.

Mine was unavailable so we trotted off to Stoke last week, back to the Sugarmill.

The sound was better, they were better and the songs are getting better, and without the slightly choreographed on stage wackiness they stood up well.

More big support beckons and their trajectory is definitely upward and I'm pleased that without the distraction of having their mates on stage their music is starting to take over as the reason to see them live.
User avatar
Salian
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Cabbage

Postby Blackout » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:56 pm

Seen them a couple more times in more suitable venues and apologise for comparing them to Overrated Shite Family. Mind you they do actually have songs now, which they really didn't before.

Salian wrote:
The sound was better, they were better and the songs are getting better, and without the slightly choreographed on stage wackiness they stood up well.

More big support beckons and their trajectory is definitely upward and I'm pleased that without the distraction of having their mates on stage their music is starting to take over as the reason to see them live.


^^^^^ THIS, EXACTLY.

We'll see how it goes in 2017. Bit of a shame they share management with Stockport lad-twats Blossoms, who keep getting them gigs on the lad circuit (they supported The Twang last week, I mean seriously, why are the Twang even still in existence!?) when they're considerably more intelligent and interesting than that (not that it would be difficult) - probably worth seeing before the piss-throwing troglodyte brigade pile in and ruin their gigs for actual music fans.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
User avatar
Blackout
 
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:02 pm
Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Re: Cabbage

Postby Don_Gorgon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:53 pm

I've never seen them live so I can't comment on how they sound although with the right sound people it could be extraordinary. When the first few tracks starting leaking out I was pretty excited by their sound, the lyrics less so. I was hoping they would develop songs slightly deeper or imaginative than reciting their hatred for people and economic systems in a totally direct manner. I haven't heard anything else though, fuck this guy, capitalism sucks, i came on your chips. That might work if they had a bit more character or experience in life. Blah blah third rate Dead Kennedys, the songs all sound the same, makes Green Day sound like Stephen Davis.
Where the ancient oak leaf clusters grew, the deaths head hawk moth flew
User avatar
Don_Gorgon
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:53 pm
Location: The Desert, New Jerusalem

Re: Cabbage

Postby giftonnoelwilliamsagent » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:43 am

Also posted as robbieblakesdriver c 2003-6, blaugrana 2009-15, burnleynotbarcelona 2017
giftonnoelwilliamsagent
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:42 pm

Re: Cabbage

Postby Salian » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:02 pm

The internet fog surrounding this makes it difficult to comment, but I suppose the moral of the story is things that may be accepted, laughed off in front of 150 like minded souls/ your own fanbase in the Ruby Lounge don't always get appreciated when you step into someone else's world.
User avatar
Salian
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:39 pm


Return to Other Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron