The Twilight Sad are doing a massive tour

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

The Twilight Sad are doing a massive tour

Postby Blackout » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:45 pm

...and every single time I saw them in 2014 they were outstanding, so I'm very much looking forward to a few of these...

http://www.thetwilightsad.com/tourdates/

There's a part of me that wishes I'd had the cash to go to Malta this weekend because when the hell will I ever get a chance again to go there for a gig, but common sense prevailed.

So I'm just doing Cologne, Hamburg, Aarhus, Oslo, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Wakefield and Liverpool (oh and maybe Newcastle).. :)

(They're also doing a stripped-back / semi-acoustic tour of record shops in February, some daytime and some evening (details of which are on their facebook and stuff)....
http://diymag.com/2015/01/06/the-twilig ... new-single )
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Re: The Twilight Sad are doing a massive tour

Postby bancroftboy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:24 pm

1. 2 nights in Malta!
2. can somebody tell touring bands that the Scala is shit? Thanks
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
bancroftboy

Postby atombowl65 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:24 am

Loved them for ages but saw them live for the first time on the Waverley stage on New Years eve sandwiched between Young Fathers and Twatlantic. Low key to start with and an apology 'for being miserable but we're from Glasgow'. Gradually gathered momentum and after half an hour were little short of stunning. Young Fathers were impressive too. Twatlantic less so. Away the week of Scala so will prob' head for Bristol instead.
atombowl65

Postby LikeAnotherLanguage » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:03 pm

atombowl65 wrote:will prob' head for Bristol instead

Got my ticket for the Bristol gig. Every time I listen to the new album it sounds better and better; never took much notice of the earlier stuff but this has finally convinced me to go and see them live.
LikeAnotherLanguage

Postby atombowl65 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:09 am

Agreed. I was a bit underwhelmed with the new album at first but I stuck with it on the way to work for a few days and I think it's now my favourite since Fourteen Autumns
atombowl65

Postby Blackout » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:18 am

Have to say the last week was fucking incredible. Absolutely nailed it night after night in some cracking little venues. There was a bit of a worry when James's voice went in Aarhus but he was fine by Oslo. The Stockholm gig was basically in a hotel bar, so naturally I'd booked that hotel to stay in - breakfast was slightly awkward :) and absolutely wonderful to have been back in Gebaeude 9. Ever since that British Sea Power gig in September 2003 I have regularly referred to it as my favourite venue in the world, even though I'd only been back once since (in 2004) and when we arrived I couldn't really remember why, but by the end I knew. Still can't put it into words. It's just ace and the band reckoned it was one of their favourite gigs ever.

There were also a great many ridiculous cocktails consumed. Should your travels ever take you to Loppen in Copenhagen then do not miss their White Russians. :)

bancroftboy wrote:1. 2 nights in Malta!
2. can somebody tell touring bands that the Scala is shit? Thanks

1. Amused to discover that the guy who booked the gigs in Malta is a good friend of our mate in Oslo we were staying with. Apparently he's just a massive music fan with access to a venue and sometimes they stump up the cash for him to bring a favourite band over. Which, er, got me thinking....

2. Have had this conversation several times this week with various music fans from the UK and beyond, it bloody is isn't it. Annoying as hell cos I really fancy a third one on the UK stint and besides Scouse and Wakey, London's the easiest weeknighter for me due to the frequently cheap 6am train, but I'm just not doing it. Annoyance.

Thinking about Leicester though the logistics are slightly more interesting....

I can not underline enough how fucking on form this band are live right now. According to my list of things, I'd seen them 22 times previously (I know, poor effort) and many of them were great, but at least 3 of last week's 6 would go top 5. I mean obviously the music is not for everyone but if you do like the records and haven't seen them, or have seen them previously and liked it, then get a ticket. I genuinely wish I could do the lot (except the Scala).
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby Blackout » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:33 am

Blackout wrote:

Fuck it, I'm doing it. Her Name Is Calla are supporting which is a massive bonus.
Anyone know the venue (Cookie Jar) at all? Like, how big is it, etc?
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby PontiacB » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Blackout wrote:
Blackout wrote:

Fuck it, I'm doing it. Her Name Is Calla are supporting which is a massive bonus.
Anyone know the venue (Cookie Jar) at all? Like, how big is it, etc?

The venue is in the basement of the Cookie. Capacity is about 120-150, smaller than the musician, they can actually get about 200 in the room according to fire regs but in practice they don't sell that many tickets as it would be extremely uncomfortable and the owner/promoter knows that and so limits it. Owner is mega enthusiastic about his music. Stage isn't very high as the ceiling isn't that high, so not the best viewing venue unless you are in the front few rows. I've seen some great gigs there, Eagulls, Lola Colt, Autobahn, Flowers, Girl Band to name a few.

Bar is upstairs, no real ales unfortunately, stays open late. They do nice food till early evening. It's far more central than the musician, opposite the highcross shopping centre in a pedestrianised area. There isn't any parking immediately next to the venue but anywhere near the city centre is short walking distance.

I had a ticket for this but have given it away as week before marathon and so can't risk injury!
PontiacB

Postby blaugrana » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:30 pm

Saw them in Barcelona last night - absolutely bloody fantastic, they also appeared very appreciative of what was a comparatively small crowd - James quipped that he never goes to a gig on a Monday night. Unfortunately they've landed in Madrid on the night of the Madrid derby in the Champions League QF.
Long term lurker/part-time poster, lately known as giftonnoelwilliamsagent and previously known as robbieblakesdriver.
blaugrana

Postby Blackout » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:15 pm

Magnificent again in Leicester last night. Loved the venue, too, though it did get slightly warm.

Starting to get that "only two gigs left oh no" feeling, but hopeful that they'll do some more later in the year... I am guessing from the fact that said massive tour has been going on for nine weeks solid now that they are effectively "full time" at least at the moment (as in not working day jobs) and with the plaudits continuing to roll in for the 4th album (they're on the SAY (Scottish mercurys type thing*) nominations list announced today) I reckon they can get another tour out of it. I hope so.

* With the Mercury itself having gone to Scotland c/o Young Fathers last year it's like a music version of the old political West Lothian question, isn't it? Sort of.
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby pomfob » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:19 am

Blackout wrote: I reckon they can get another tour out of it. I hope so.

When they did the in-store in Jumbo back in February, the singer apologised for not playing Leeds properly on this tour, but promised they'd be back at the Brudenell later this year. He did then qualify it with a 'hope so anyway', but it bodes well.

See you tonight in Wakey?
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:55 am

pomfob wrote:
Blackout wrote: I reckon they can get another tour out of it. I hope so.

When they did the in-store in Jumbo back in February, the singer apologised for not playing Leeds properly on this tour, but promised they'd be back at the Brudenell later this year. He did then qualify it with a 'hope so anyway', but it bodes well.

See you tonight in Wakey?

You did indeed (I clearly didn't see this beforehand).

Actually incredible, again.

If you can go to one of the remaining dates do so.

Spare still available for Liverpool tomorrow face value o.n.o.

Oh and apparently he said the same at recent instore in Edinburgh (also not on current UK tour) so looks like there may well be another tour this year :)
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby Blackout » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:33 am

Christmas, then. Or December at least. Big Barrowland date on Saturday 12th, tickets on sale tomorrow unless you're on the mailing list in which case get on the pre-sale now, I just did.

http://www.glasgow-barrowland.com/ballroomevents.htm

I really hope BSP do a Christmas Krankenhaus on Friday 11th so I can enjoy that six hour train journey with a colossal fucking hangover as usual.... NOT. 18th please BSP.
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby Dero » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:04 am

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/36004EE98B8A2382

Is now up if anybody wasn't on the pre-sale.
Can a man of perception respect himself at all?
Dero

Postby Blackout » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:03 pm

Blackout wrote:Christmas, then. Or December at least. Big Barrowland date on Saturday 12th, tickets on sale tomorrow unless you're on the mailing list in which case get on the pre-sale now, I just did.

http://www.glasgow-barrowland.com/ballroomevents.htm

I really hope BSP do a Christmas Krankenhaus on Friday 11th so I can enjoy that six hour train journey with a colossal fucking hangover as usual.... NOT. 18th please BSP.

What the fuck was I even on about here? Christmas isn't the same without attempting to get between Brighton and Glasgow one way or the other.......

Barrowland was.... well, all I'm saying is BSP are going to have to be pretty fucking good tonight/tomorrow.
And there she was....

Blackout

Return to Other Music