What are you listening to at this very moment?

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: What are you listening to at this very moment?

Postby Blackout » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:01 pm

bancroftboy wrote:
Rake wrote:The Race for Space (Remixes) by Public Service Broadcasting.

Haven't heard the re-mixes, do they add much ?
The actual record has been constantly on my ipod since release except for two weeks when the new record came out. I decided I didn't like that as much and back it went.
I've only seen them live once but it really didn't work for me.

Interesting. I love The Race For Space and think everything they have done before or since is on a scale of shite to mediocre with the occasional bit of quite good. Enjoyed them live a few times when they were touring it, but probably won't bother again until they make another record I like, which it's entirely possible they might or indeed might not. This actually annoys me more than it should, you know, I like to know where I stand with bands...

Records I have listened to in the past week, old and new:

Spinning Coin - Permo
Olafur Arnalds - For Now, I Am Winter
Vibracathedral Orchestra - Live At Texture (official bootleg CDR, Pomfob was at this gig with me I think, Carefully Planned fest a couple of years ago)
Forward Russia - Life Processes
Victories At Sea - (various EPs and whatever)
Minami Deutsch - Minami Deutsch
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby redc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Beaming Youtube through the telly & hi-fi: Dopesmoker by Sleep.

If only the neighbours to the left weren't in I could avenge the endless Celine Dionne through the walls on the right at 4 on a Monday morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIw7oeZKpZc

Way outside my usual cup of aural tea, but the Quietus review of their new album caught my attention.

It would be easy to dismiss as 'totally ludicrous' but after a good 10 minutes or so the effects of the relentless repetitive* riffing kick in and for me it's quite something (* it took me at least 10 attempts to spell that corectly).

And some of the Youtube comments are great - notably the first reply to the first one.

If I could be bothered to search thoroughly enough I could probably find a little bit of something left over from the summer '07 festivals.
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby Bastian » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:37 pm

redc wrote:Beaming Youtube through the telly & hi-fi: Dopesmoker by Sleep.

If only the neighbours to the left weren't in I could avenge the endless Celine Dionne through the walls on the right at 4 on a Monday morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIw7oeZKpZc

Way outside my usual cup of aural tea, but the Quietus review of their new album caught my attention.

It would be easy to dismiss as 'totally ludicrous' but after a good 10 minutes or so the effects of the relentless repetitive* riffing kick in and for me it's quite something (* it took me at least 10 attempts to spell that corectly).

And some of the Youtube comments are great - notably the first reply to the first one.

If I could be bothered to search thoroughly enough I could probably find a little bit of something left over from the summer '07 festivals.

You probably already know but new album out from them yesterday. First in 20 years. Not had a chance to listen to it yet.
Bastian

Postby Blackout » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:28 am

Bastian wrote:You probably already know but new album out from them yesterday. First in 20 years. Not had a chance to listen to it yet.

Quite interested to see how that turned out, but having sploshed this month's record budget in one go it'll have to wait. It's not my fault, I even waited til Sunday to go near a record shop so there'd be less temptation (Record Store Day is the third Saturday in April, my pay day the 20th or the Friday 18th/19th if 20th is a Sat/Sun, which means roughly 50% of RSDs I have a freshly filled bank account - these are the years I have to be really fucking careful!) but .... but....

This weekend just gone I have mostly been listening to:

Can - Tago Mago and 1971 live.
This is fuck all to do with RSD, I just woke up Saturday morning thinking about Damo Suzuki for no apparent reason so I had to dig it out, maybe I'd been dreaming about him, I rarely remember my dreams.

Erased Tapes - 1 + 1 = X
Yep, I did it. Not only was it a post-payday RSD but Nick's away. I'm fucking dangerous record shopping unsupervised. It is absolutely incredible though, end to end, and the box itself makes BSP/Mogwai/65days boxes look like cereal packets. I still hate that I have become a Box Set Person but hey that's basically three of my fave bands and one of my fave labels, that's OK, right? I know, that's how they all start....

Mark Peters - Innerland
Newly released but non-RSD ambient-ish instrumental solo debut from Ulrich Schnauss collaborator and ex member of Engineers. Don't let the latter bit put you off, mind. He was always so much better than some third rate shoegaze indie rockers. This just proves it.

Yeah, that's it. There is quite a lot of the Erased Tapes one. Also I've been out a lot.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby flatland juz » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:30 pm

Ooh I am well envious of the Erased Tapes box. I couldn't stretch my budget to that.
flatland juz

Postby Rickety Rackety » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:16 pm

The Clown by Charles Mingus
Rickety Rackety

Postby Bastian » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:26 pm

New album from experimental Irish krautrockers Woven Skull

https://wovenskull.bandcamp.com/album/woven-skull

Some shoegaze from New Zealand. Bad Sav

https://occultation.bandcamp.com/album/bad-sav

Latest album from Elder

https://open.spotify.com/album/3KHAbIF4 ... HPi2TKrleA

Protomartyr - Relatives In Descent

https://open.spotify.com/album/5w1LR7cb ... 9y1wffNt4A
Bastian

Postby Bastian » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:50 pm

Toy - You Make Me Forget Myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=024h_HNmK_8
Bastian

Postby pomfob » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:05 am

In the next instalment of burying the spam posts, right now I'm listening to a collaborate piece by Georgia Ellery of Jockstrap and Jamie Smith of The XX. They share a house apparently, and have done an improvisation for BBC Radio 3's Late Junction programme.

Since lockdown, the BBC Sounds app has been an absolute delight. Once I realised it carried on working while you did other stuff on your phone, it opened up a world of possibilities. Pretty much every day in the office is filled with interesting music, be it last night's Gideon Coe show on 6 Music, or the various late night unusual music programmes on Radio 3 - the already mentioned Late Junction, Night Tracks and Elizabeth Alker's Unclassified show. Her Saturday Breakfast programme is also pretty smart.

So yeah, if can get BBC Sounds, dive in.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby SelmaAdam » Thu May 20, 2021 1:34 pm

Jazz music.I love it as it has all the elements that other music has: It has melody; that's the tune of the song, the part you're most likely to remember. It has harmony, the notes that make the melody sound fuller. It has rhythm, which is the heartbeat of the song.

great post on gsf-promounts drawer slides | see some good gsf drawer slides | guidomaggi.com | guidomaggi.it
Last edited by SelmaAdam on Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SelmaAdam

Postby BabyGray » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:55 pm

I won't lie, I was at university with Hamilton back in the 90s in derby and he adopted a pet BAT from a local bat dealer we named his Clarence.
BabyGray

Postby The Duke of Warsop » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:02 am

Working from home & the phone is on shuffle & linked to the good ol' bluetooth speaker... Last five tracks were -

Def.Con.One - Pop Will Eat Itself.

Heart Cookie - Buck 65 & Controller 7.

Dear Mr Fantasy - Traffic.

For Tomorrow - Doves.

Dragon Town - Big Audio Dynamite.
We're all going to jail or the mental home...
The Duke of Warsop

Postby Haapala » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:14 pm

I'm listening to the new Taylor Swift album, Folklore.
Haapala

Previous

Return to Other Music