Outdoor Adventures

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Outdoor Adventures

Postby ORK (Original Red Kite) » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:02 pm

TheAlex wrote:I'm planning on doing Jura's west coast walk at some point (about 50 miles). It's uninhabited by us lot, with the only signs of human life being 3 bothies, and a cave an artist lived in in the early 90s.

TheAlex wrote:And last year, I did! After not seeing another person for 5 days, despite the difficult terrain in places, it was more mentally than physically challenging. Though during the walk, I was thinking I'd never want to do it again. But I'm thinking about doing it again this year. In spring, to avoid the worst of the tics and high bracken. What a beautiful and incredible place.

Visited twice in 2019 (April & May) and, having done the round of the Paps both times, can vouch for the fact that heather, bracken & ticks were NOT a problem earlier in the season. Have been eyeing the coastal route for a future visit, did you camp or use the bothies (or cave)?
Hanx...
ORK (Original Red Kite)

Postby O Larsen Beret » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:09 am

ORK (Original Red Kite) wrote:
TheAlex wrote:I'm planning on doing Jura's west coast walk at some point (about 50 miles). It's uninhabited by us lot, with the only signs of human life being 3 bothies, and a cave an artist lived in in the early 90s.

TheAlex wrote:And last year, I did! After not seeing another person for 5 days, despite the difficult terrain in places, it was more mentally than physically challenging. Though during the walk, I was thinking I'd never want to do it again. But I'm thinking about doing it again this year. In spring, to avoid the worst of the tics and high bracken. What a beautiful and incredible place.

Visited twice in 2019 (April & May) and, having done the round of the Paps both times, can vouch for the fact that heather, bracken & ticks were NOT a problem earlier in the season. Have been eyeing the coastal route for a future visit, did you camp or use the bothies (or cave)?

I was hoping to visit this spring, but it's looking unlikely given the COVID situation.

I stayed in two of the bothies and camped the other nights. Julie Brook's cave was full of goat poo and a dead goat. I didn't make it up the Paps as the cloud was low, and I didn't feel like making the effort for possible lack of views. Though I am often rewarded when I venture out in bad weather. After a cancelled flight, I had less than 24 hours on Sao Jorge island in the Azores, so ventured up despite the rain and wind and weather forecast saying there was only a 10% or 20% chance of the cloud clearing at all. I was rewarded, and had the place to myself! This place is greener than Skye or Ireland. Later that day, my rental car broke down, but I still had a great day despite all the issues.

O Larsen Beret

Postby ORK (Original Red Kite) » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:45 pm

The cave sounds idyllic! Thanks for the info, duly noted.

The Azores look amazing, haven't made it there...yet.
Hanx...
ORK (Original Red Kite)

Previous

Return to General