New Doctor Who to be announced today

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: New Doctor Who to be announced today

Postby SPT » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:18 pm

The dalek episode is the only one I've seen from this series. It really was fucking shite. Was it actually written by a backward 8 year old who'd just watched programme about the second world war on the History Channel, or were they simply very accurately targeting that demographic?

Are the rest of them any better?
You can always outrun a golfer

http://www.soundsxp.com
Always changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/
SPT

Postby Bing Diddley » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:35 pm

That episode was by far the worst of the series so far. I thought the first half was great but the second half was a load of bollocks and made zero sense. V Disappointing from Mark Gatiss of The League of Gentlemen.
Not a copy, not fake, not Asian.
Bing Diddley

Postby Raumfahrer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:12 pm

yeah, it was a bit ropey. it seemed like there was a really good idea there and then he got told to wedge in somehting about the new daleks. i did actually like the new daleks, don't care about the co,ours, if anything, its a bit retro.
Raumfahrer

Postby Nurdled, by Astley » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:46 pm

Struck me as the token Dalek episode, with a few sub-texts (historical bit -tick, new merchandising - tick).

Hopefully that is the Daleks out of the way for this series now.
Nearly drowned on a learn to swim course.
Nurdled, by Astley

Postby rover » Sat May 01, 2010 11:45 am

Nurdled, by Astley wrote:Struck me as the token Dalek episode, with a few sub-texts (historical bit -tick, new merchandising - tick).

Hopefully that is the Daleks out of the way for this series now.

I doubt it. Seemed to me that they were sewing the seeds for the series finale. First half of that episode was very good, but it did indeed get messy and confusing.
Last weeks however was great. I reckon they could do a River Song spin-off series.
The Law of Inverse Relevance: the less you intend doing about something the more you have to keep talking about it.
rover

Postby bob falconscotch » Sat May 01, 2010 1:02 pm

Can't stand the programme tbh,and don't feel like I need to tune in anyway as the Beeb seem to show 99% of the sodding show by way of incessant trailers in between almost every programme that I actually do want to view.
That new chap playing the Doctor is one weird looking bloke,though - I have never seen a head shaped like his before,not even in the Natural History Museum.
James Dean was just a careless driver,and Marilyn Monroe was just a slag...
bob falconscotch

Postby m1573r_g4v » Sun May 02, 2010 6:59 pm

what? matt smith is ace. ace. ace. daleks and churchill were fun. weeping angels were shit scary. truly rtd's reign of terror is over.
m1573r_g4v

Postby rover » Sun May 02, 2010 9:47 pm

m1573r_g4v wrote:what? matt smith is ace. ace. ace. daleks and churchill were fun. weeping angels were shit scary. truly rtd's reign of terror is over.

I'm expecting the Daily Fail to spontaneously combust after the last couple of minutes of the last episode:

oofph!
The Law of Inverse Relevance: the less you intend doing about something the more you have to keep talking about it.
rover

Postby Raumfahrer » Sun May 02, 2010 10:25 pm

i don't blame them, i'm pretty sure i did something very similar.
Raumfahrer

Postby pomfob » Tue May 04, 2010 1:46 pm

rover wrote:
m1573r_g4v wrote:what? matt smith is ace. ace. ace. daleks and churchill were fun. weeping angels were shit scary. truly rtd's reign of terror is over.

I'm expecting the Daily Fail to spontaneously combust after the last couple of minutes of the last episode:

oofph!

Sadly, that image isn't coming through on the work computer, but I'm going to hazard a guess that the correct response should be - ding dong! (in a Terry-Thomas stylee).

Seriously, I much prefer Amy coming on all lustful to the Jersey cow-eyes of Rose & Martha. More believable, really.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Raumfahrer » Tue May 04, 2010 2:00 pm

pomfob wrote:Seriously, I much prefer Amy coming on all lustful

you're not the only one. i have to lie down every time i think about it.
Raumfahrer

Postby pomfob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 pm

There's a brief Capaldi thread elsewhere if someone feels like reviving that, but this appears to be the biggest Dr Who thread.

So, opinions on the new one?
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:33 pm

(1) Any adult who gets in a tizzywizzy about the change of actor in a children's TV show needs to get out more, a lot more.
NB. I do not use the phrase "children's TV show" dismissively. I watch it myself. but it is.

(2) Unfriended one long overdue bellend on facebook already due to him whimpering that the BBC "should hang its PC head in shame". no, you hang your Stone Age one, sad twat. Was actually pleased to see that I know very few people of this opinion, I guess reactions to several political events of recent years mean that my friends list (on social media and in the real world) was already largely purged of the backward brigade.

(3) Mildly disappointed that the token horrible little shit in our office, who is a Dr Who fan, is quite happy with the news. I was relishing a demolition argument.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby pomfob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Blackout wrote:(1) Any adult who gets in a tizzywizzy about the change of actor in a children's TV show needs to get out more, a lot more.
NB. I do not use the phrase "children's TV show" dismissively. I watch it myself. but it is.

Hmmm...agree with all of this, apart from the "children's TV show" bit. It certainly was in the old days, may even have been when it came back, but after Moffat got his mucky fingers on it, I don't think it is any longer. Example - the Monks storyline in the last series was deeply creepy, heavily political and dealt with issues of love & loss that I reckon would either confuse (or more likely bore) the younger viewer.

I accept I may be reading way too much into it, but I'm a bit of a fan*. Though apparently the bottom has dropped out of the under 14s viewing figures. I don't remember where I saw that, but I definitely have.

* As in, never miss an episode, have lots of classic era DVDs, but I don't dress up as a Movellan or anything like that. Nor do I have a problem with it now being 'A Tardis full of bras' as some tool on Twitter said.
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:05 pm

pomfob wrote:
Blackout wrote:(1) Any adult who gets in a tizzywizzy about the change of actor in a children's TV show needs to get out more, a lot more.

Hmmm...agree with all of this, apart from the "children's TV show" bit. It certainly was in the old days, may even have been when it came back, but after Moffat got his mucky fingers on it, I don't think it is any longer. Example - the Monks storyline in the last series was deeply creepy, heavily political and dealt with issues of love & loss that I reckon would either confuse (or more likely bore) the younger viewer.

I accept I may be reading way too much into it, but I'm a bit of a fan*. Though apparently the bottom has dropped out of the under 14s viewing figures. I don't remember where I saw that, but I definitely have.

* As in, never miss an episode, have lots of classic era DVDs, but I don't dress up as a Movellan or anything like that. Nor do I have a problem with it now being 'A Tardis full of bras' as some tool on Twitter said.

I feel I should add that I don't care if it is still is a children's programme - I love Doctor Who anyway.
pomfob

PreviousNext

Return to General