New Doctor Who to be announced today

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: New Doctor Who to be announced today

Postby Blackout » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:50 pm

It's a programme made with "family friendly" rules such as relatively easy to follow stories, no swearing or other adult themes, no gruesome bloodbaths, in which complex concepts are explained simply often by the Doctor themself (as I guess we say now) and it's on at teatime or just after teatime if you've got kids.It does indeed cover a lot of political, social and moral issues but in the sort of allegorical way that great childrens' fantasy and sci-fi TV and indeed literature always has done. That's all I meant - not in any way a derogatory thing.

(I also never miss an episode, and suspect that if I did not live with someone who has lots of classic era DVDs then I'd have some anyway. Am I a fan? Well you know me, I refuse generally to identify as a fan of anything but I guess if I'm a fan of bands I've been watching for years then the same probably applies to TV shows. )
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby flatland juz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:00 pm

Only a proper Whovian would reference Movellans - well done pomfob. If pushed, I may admit to being one (a Whovian, not a Movellan). Anyhow, this last series has had some right steaming shite episodes (not Capaldi's fault) and I'm looking forward to seeing Jodie Whittaker give the show a kick up the jacksie.
flatland juz

Postby pomfob » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:13 am

flatland juz wrote:Only a proper Whovian would reference Movellans - well done pomfob. If pushed, I may admit to being one (a Whovian, not a Movellan). Anyhow, this last series has had some right steaming shite episodes (not Capaldi's fault) and I'm looking forward to seeing Jodie Whittaker give the show a kick up the jacksie.

heh heh. Well, the Movellans did have a cameo in the last series, didn't they?
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby flatland juz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Yes, brief but good fanwank. As was Alpha Centauri.
flatland juz

Postby pomfob » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:01 am

flatland juz wrote:Yes, brief but good fanwank. As was Alpha Centauri.

There's usually a couple of callbacks to the originals each season, aren't there? Just to keep the old codgers (like me) smiling & muttering 'them were the days'...
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Wish the powers that be would announce the bloody date when the new series starts. Serious withdrawals kicking in round here.
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:42 am

Also, some previous forum thoughts on the good Doctor...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1086

Those who questioned the wisdom of Catherine Tate as Donna were proved very, very wrong.
pomfob

Postby flatland juz » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:03 am

I see that a bit of leakage has occurred.
flatland juz

Postby TheAlex » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:41 pm

pomfob wrote:Also, some previous forum thoughts on the good Doctor...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1086

Those who questioned the wisdom of Catherine Tate as Donna were proved very, very wrong.

She was one of those people (based on characters I'd seen) I couldn't stand, but she became (and still is) my favourite assistant. Was it Never Mind the Buzzcocks she had a hilarious appearance on?
TheAlex

Postby pomfob » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am

Well that went well, I think? Even Bradley Walsh didn't come across as a complete cromartie.
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:20 am

There'll always be something timeless about the concept of a central character that's been going for decades, travelling all over, frequently changing the younger people that travel with them fulfilling the supporting roles (sometimes for years and sometimes just for a couple of appearances) and has a fine line to tread regarding remaining relevant without upsetting a bunch of man-babies who want everything to be exactly as it was when they were young. Sometimes it's great, sometimes a bit shite, often depending on the quality of said supporting players and the location / setting, but last night was a triumph.

By which I mean I went out watching The Wedding Present in Hebden Bridge. Will catch up the telly I missed later.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby flatland juz » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:30 pm

I've kept quiet so far but now I have to blurt.
So far the new series is dreadful. Execrable writing and bad acting. It's like the Sarah Jane Adventures but not as entertaining.
Very disappointed. I've cancelled me subs.
flatland juz

Postby Rake » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:31 pm

Agreed. The writing is particularly bad. I know it's primarily a kids program but it really is banal. The assistants are awful too. It's hard to rate how good / bad / indifferent Jodie is amongst all that detraction.
Rake

Postby flatland juz » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:56 pm

I think she's probably going to be good, but she needs better stuff to get stuck in to. Just being a bit Doctor-y isn't enough.
flatland juz

Postby Rake » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Yes. I always argued that the gender was a side issue and that Jodie would be as good as the writing allowed her to be, which is sadly letting her down currently. Missed opportunity I think.
Rake

PreviousNext

Return to General