New Doctor Who to be announced today

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: New Doctor Who to be announced today

Postby pomfob » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:36 pm

Harsh, folks. She's putting in a great shift, playing it like she was born to it - I'm more convinced by Whitaker than I ever was by Eccy or Capaldi (and they were both good). I like team Tardis so far; even (surprisingly) Bradley Walsh. The first episode was, like all first episodes since the return, trying to do too much. It almost got away with it. The second episode was a right rattling tale, sets up the new bad guys, and looked fantastic.

The third episode...well, that sucked, mostly. All for them doing history, that can work well. Team Tardis are coming together nicely, we're learning who they are and how they fit together. However, inaccurately presenting a character from the recent past just to move the narrative along...nope. Big pile of nope. And that pay off segment with the asteroid was terrible, shoe-horned in to pad out an already thin plot. Script was cringey, supporting cast not good enough to work around it. And as for boyband bad guy...oh please, no.

Next one is about spiders. I am not comfortable with spiders. Help!
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby gtw » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:06 pm

Liked episode 1 and 3. Thought episode 2 was a bit too generic. Also had a problem with the audio mix in ep 2 which rendered the dialogue difficult to follow... music far too loud. But generally I'm enjoying it. Like Jodie a lot... enjoying getting to know Team Tardis.

I personally thought episode 3's story telling was excellent. It had a lot to do, and did it well. I was nervous that they would somehow get it wrong, but ensuring that Rosa's actions were her own, and not influenced by the Doctor was the most important element. Having them not being able to help her, because not helping her was the right thing to do was smart. The fact of the Doctor and Graham's whiteness being what caused her to have to give up her seat, likewise. I did think the baddie was implausibly good looking, but then again, why not? If you look at it from the perspective of 'baddies shouldn't need to look like baddies', that's fair enough. Think of Milo and a lot of the rising alt.right. They don't all look like Bannon.
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby flatland juz » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:32 pm

Implausibly good-looking, implausible backstory/setup and terribly acted. I'm a bit worried we'll see him again, along with tooth-face man and the carpet remnants.
flatland juz

Postby TheAlex » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:30 pm

The third episode was wonderful. I don't think I've laughed so much at Doctor Who since the Matt Smith footballer sharing a flat with James Corden* episode, and I thought it tacked an important issue well. I hated the music at the end - that was invasive, and the asteroid bit felt pointless.

It's the first time I've liked Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor - she'd been too Victoria Wood in previous episodes. I thought the Rosa Parks actress was excellent, as was Bradley Walsh. For a moment I thought he was going to end up driving the bus.

*The only thing I've laughed at with James Corden in, if you don't count that advert where he spins the Mercedes.
TheAlex

Postby Mcginness » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:29 pm

TheAlex wrote:The third episode was wonderful. I don't think I've laughed so much at Doctor Who since the Matt Smith footballer sharing a flat with James Corden* episode, and I thought it tacked an important issue well. I hated the music at the end - that was invasive, and the asteroid bit felt pointless.

It's the first time I've tried electric log splitters and liked Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor - she'd been too Victoria Wood in previous episodes. I thought the Rosa Parks actress was excellent, as was Bradley Walsh. For a moment I thought he was going to end up driving the bus.

*The only thing I've laughed at with James Corden in, if you don't count that advert where he spins the Mercedes.

Only watched the first two episodes so far. Wasn't impressed, but they also weren't bad either. I think I'm going to skip the rest of the episodes until the whole season airs and then I'll binge watch the whole thing. Maybe the new Doctor will grow on me that way. Worked with Peter Capaldi. haha
Last edited by Mcginness on Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mcginness

Postby pomfob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:11 am

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46501393

With the exception of the Rosa Parks episode, and the spiders one, I've enjoyed the whole series. Demons of the Punjab was my favourite, I think. And if you didn't warm to the P'nin, Doctor Who might not be for you.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby flatland juz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Hooray! It will give Chibnall time to reflect on his crimes against Whovian fandom. I found the series dull and unconvincing from start to finish, maybe a couple of glimmers of acting and competent storytelling towards the end but overall very poor. My 9 year old daughter really enjoyed it, but that makes sense as it did seem to be specifically aimed at children. Or the easily pleased.
flatland juz

Postby gtw » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:07 am

Yeah. Overall I was a little underwhelmed by the series. Standouts were Rosa, Punjab and the fantastic It Takes You Away. I don't think Chibnall should be allowed to write any more episodes. Disappointed by the 'no previews to journalists' finale... Were we really supposed to get excited by the return of Toothy Tim?
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby TheAlex » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:23 am

I only watched the final episode because I watched the previous 9. Rosa was excellent but some of the episodes were poor. Even the other episodes I liked seemed of lower quality than I'm Who-used to. With all the publicity of a female Doctor and talk of a complete reboot, I was hoping it'd be back to its best. I hope the break does it good.

My favourite villain was the Kerblam robots, even though they weren't the main villain in that episode. I did like how there were multiple villains in some episodes.

I thought three companions were a good thing to start with (it worked especially well in Rosa), but often two of them were sent off on tasks that didn't really achieve anything, it seemed so the scriptwriters could get them out of the way.
TheAlex

Previous

Return to General