Well, I will roll the Sausage.

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Well, I will roll the Sausage.

Postby mick wright » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:53 am

I'm still alive too and do wonderful things to Quorn Lincolnshire Sausages (but not Quorn bacon because that is just horrible).

Still working in Pathology - I'm 'management' now and this sounds really crap but working in the NHS gets more and more challenging - the sheer lack of common sense from Very Senior Managers is staggering. I make the mistake, occasionally of adopting the attitude of the child in The Emperors New Clothes.

Reasonably in good shape, still a slave to the treadmill however I am getting stronger in my old age as I now seem capable of bending my erections in half.

Gigging has taken a severe hit and a recent hit of three in 7 nights had the effect of rekindling the excitement and buggering me in equal measure.

Archie, once known as Mini-Sea-Power, is 21 and probably causing more mayhem than he admits to for a global grain management company.
What you need the most,
Is beans on cheese on toast. Today.
mick wright

Postby gtw » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:04 am

*taps microphone* is this thing still on?

Hullo. gtw here. aka Pale Fox, Alex Fop and Donald Crowhurst. Oh, and Lettuce Spray... I'd forgotten about him.

Health is fine although there has been a lot of unhealth close to me this past 13 months, which has turned me greyer still.

Still work for a Deaf charity. Still get to the gigs I want to get to, on the whole, but I seem to watch more TV dramas than ever, so something must have 'given', I suppose.

Still thoroughly concerned about climate change, although I tend to go on about it much less to people that aren't The Other Half than I once did. Also furious about Brexit. And air pollution. All these things fed into my decision to stand as a Lib Dem candidate in the local elections. I was trounced, but I think that its time for people to stand up for the things they believe in before yet more of the things we value slip away from us.

Haven't put a record out or a gig on for ages.
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby Rake » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:48 am

blir wrote:
Skinku wrote:It’s an euphuism, you know?
When everyone’s in a circle and no one wants to roll the sausage first, but bloody hell when it gets going?
Isn’t it?

If a vowel makes a consonant sound at the beginning of a word, is it still "an" or can "a" be used? The latter sounds more natural to me.

I've always taken it as good grammar to drop the 'n' in cases like euphemism, using 'an' sort of trips up the sentence.

I don't think I've been to a sausage-rolling party, does anyone have any rules as I'd like to stage one?
Rake

Postby Skinku » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:36 pm

I went with the n and a ironic quote, with a top hat wink feel.
..or is that an ironic?
Both should be a simple a in my view.
Lovely to hear a creaking lift of ghostly closets from all.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby Skinku » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:39 pm

No, it’s an ironic isn’t it?
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby Rake » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Skinku wrote:No, it’s an ironic isn’t it?

Definitely 'an ironic....' and 'a euphemism...' for me. Talking pedantry, this reminds me of the classic joke.....

Average Jo / Joe to pedant - "you know, if you look up the word 'pedant' in the dictionary it just says 'you'"
Pedant - "no, actually I think you'll find it says 'A person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning'"

Boom boom....

Talking of which, where the fuck has Boom gone?
Rake

Postby Alfie Noakes » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:24 pm

Since I first saw BSP I’ve changed my name by deed poll.

I’m the short one amongst the other tall fuckers.

One child who is 32 but not as tall as me. Eats veggie sausages (mums fault) and has never got BSP. He did come to see me in a bear suit at Reading festival once and tried to trip me over all night. I love him.

Working in an office to keep me sane but hoping for redundancy to travel during my last years.

Forgot how wonderful this place was

X
Alfie Noakes

Postby pomfob » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:13 am

Rake wrote:Talking of which, where the fuck has Boom gone?

Spotted at End Of The Road, currently working a lot in Italy, I believe. I'd like to think he'll materialise at a random BSP gig soon, smile, nod and buy an enormous round of drinks.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Rake » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:39 am

pomfob wrote:
Rake wrote:Talking of which, where the fuck has Boom gone?

Spotted at End Of The Road, currently working a lot in Italy, I believe. I'd like to think he'll materialise at a random BSP gig soon, smile, nod and buy an enormous round of drinks.

Ta for the update. Yes, that would be lovely.
Rake

Postby redc » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:19 pm

pomfob wrote:
..I'd like to think he'll materialise at a random BSP gig soon, smile, nod and buy an enormous round of drinks.

..or to appear carrying several bags-for-life of cans. Hello Boom, wherever you are.

I recently spent a fortnight in the shadow of Tan Hill without tasting any local Cumberlands despite several attempts. Reminds me of my last holiday abroad - 2 weeks on the Greek Island of Paxos - when I similarly failed to consume any Souvlaki.
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby Blackout » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:30 pm

I never really went anywhere, literally or metaphorically. Except last week when I was up in the far north (Aberdeen, Inverness, Skye, Harris & Lewis, Ullapool) and didn't have much internet and anyway you know I generally only come on here when I'm at work.

I'm 46 years old now and how the fuck did that happen.

I actually achieved my highest ever level of gig attendance in 2017, somehow. This is probably because I go to two different gigs in a night more than I used to, as I'm less tolerant of stuff I don't like (or at least as I'm fully retired from local music scene reviewing etc now I don't have to tolerate things I don't like as much as I did) so will fuck off elsewhere. Mostly though my gig going has hovered around 250 ish a year for the past decade and some.

I have now been a semiconductor analysis engineer for 23 years and 3 months. I don't know how the fuck that happened either.

I have seen British Sea Power 396 times. That does sound like quite a lot, even to me. It's also quite a nice number with lots of whole factors.

I'm not dead, so yeah I suppose I am in reasonable health.

Heartland wrote:Yep, still check in daily and get rewarded with the odd gem, ie early info on the Hebden Bridge gig.

We've a long-ago ex-forumite, a lad called Pete who used to post on this and/or the old forum as "foxinthesnow", to thank for that one, texting me the ticket link before either the venue or the band had announced it. I first met him when me and Mandy/Doll offered him and his then girlfriend a lift to a gig in Coventry in 2003 following his request on here (or there, technically, given that it was Before The Great 2007 Reboot). We had a flat tyre on the way down and then on arrival Mandy produced a large holdall of sherry and mince pies and started handing them out (it was November, but not December). Amazingly he still talks to me. And lives in Hebden Bridge and hangs around the Trades quite a bit.

mick wright wrote:Archie, once known as Mini-Sea-Power, is 21 and probably causing more mayhem than he admits to for a global grain management company.

My abiding memory of Archie - and if he's 21 now he must have been about 7 at the time - is some adult (not one of us) asking him in that patronising voice people do when talking to children, "Are British Sea Power your favourite band?" and him shrugging and saying rather matter-of-fact-ly that he preferred Interpol.

I want this forum to be the last remaining example of its kind, thank you all for coming home even if it was just for a visit.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Rake » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:54 pm

Blackout wrote:
I want this forum to be the last remaining example of its kind, thank you all for coming home even if it was just for a visit.

That bought a slight lump to my throat, I must be getting more sentimental with age. It would be fitting though wouldn't it.

Welcome for the day or stay forever.
Rake

Postby Skinku » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:27 am

It is strange not to be able to 'like' something and to have to actually respond.
Let us us all get out our favourite relaxing potion and sit amongst the fires of memories.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby SPT » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:04 am

OK dokes - I've kept an eye on the forum too but not done much. For me not much changes. Sheffield, work, etc. Still a bit of an occasional BSP goer compared to many here, but have spread myself around the country a bit and actually met rather more forumites over recent years, which is genuinely always nice.

Indoctrination of the kids has been at least partially successful - my eldest spent the indietracks set right down the front and blummen loved it. I have caught her voluntarily listening to BSP since amidst her emo and videogame soundtrack remixes. Though in the modern way - a couple of big songs on youtube rather than actually an album or anything weird like that. Still.
You can always outrun a golfer

http://www.soundsxp.com
Always changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/
SPT

Postby avocetboy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:01 am

I've never left, weekly visits to the forum to check for action, always looking for poached egg variations. Still in Lincolnshire and proud it is now the official home of BSP, thanks to the sterling efforts of Bob & Johnny (and not forgetting the legacy of Smoggy). Gigging has slowed right down, into the 60+ for BSP, but other more middle aged activities such as running and hill walking have taken over. Kids are growing up young Carter, who used to rock back and forth as a baby to Waving Flags in now 11 and my Eldest is now 30 and I'm a Granddad.

I miss the forum, I miss the arguments, I miss Bobfalconscotch and ilikerockmusic and I still don't believe a man landed on the moon
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

PreviousNext

Return to General