I've been interviewed by Louder Than War

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

I've been interviewed by Louder Than War

Postby Rake » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:33 pm

If anyone fancies a read...(obligatory name-check for BSP within of course) Interview conducted by our very own forumite The Lancashire Fusilier....

https://louderthanwar.com/damselfly-interviewed/
Rake

Re: I've been interviewed by Louder Than War

Postby TheAlex » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:47 pm

I have Wild Places by Robert Macfarlane but haven't read it. I've just looked up Landmarks and I'd like to read that too. Have you read anything by Tristan Gooley? I've only read bits, but Aldo Leopold has some great nature writing (from an early 20th century American perspective).

That's interesting you played guitar parts on keyboard. Synth guitars must have come a long way since my keyboard(s), or maybe I'm not doing it right! Some interesting snippets about your titles too, and I'm envious of anyone who is lulled asleep by the sound of flowing water.

Edit: I found an Aldo Leopold extract from one of my favourite pieces: http://www.eco-action.org/dt/thinking.html
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:07 pm

TheAlex wrote:I have Wild Places by Robert Macfarlane but haven't read it. I've just looked up Landmarks and I'd like to read that too. Have you read anything by Tristan Gooley? I've only read bits, but Aldo Leopold has some great nature writing (from an early 20th century American perspective).

That's interesting you played guitar parts on keyboard. Synth guitars must have come a long way since my keyboard(s), or maybe I'm not doing it right! Some interesting snippets about your titles too, and I'm envious of anyone who is lulled asleep by the sound of flowing water.

Edit: I found an Aldo Leopold extract from one of my favourite pieces: http://www.eco-action.org/dt/thinking.html

Not read anything by Gooley, will check him out. Next on the list for this type of read is another recent recommendation - Time's Anvil by Richard Morris. Have heard of Leopold but not gone there yet due to being interested in British Isles stuff primarily, will spread my wings time-permitting though (there's so much to read eh!). Will check out your link for def though.

Not all the guitar parts were played on they keyboard, but a fair bit was. Where the tech has come on leaps and bounds is the amps-pedals-mics software options and settings available now. You can't recreate really technical guitar playing (not that I was ever much cop at that), but rhythmic, spacious, minimalist stuff sounds great now if you're willing to spend time mucking about with settings (you can even recreate genuine feedback using some of the amped guitar synth settings).
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:43 pm

I love Gooley's stuff on natural navigation. Often simple things that seem so obvious as soon as he tells you, like spotting sheep wool on a gorse bush - that side is most likely to be north-facing, used by sheep as shelter from the prevailing wind. I'd noticed how some trees lean in the same direction as prevailing wind before, but not how canopies are often larger on the south side. There was loads of great stuff for me.

For something entirely different, I loved Wild Nights by Phoebe Smith. She camped at Britain's mainland extremes (compass points as well as lowest and highest) and included interesting historical anecdotes about the places alongside her experience. Maybe a bit of a spoiler if you don't read the blurbs - it took her to mostly wild places, but the most easterly point is a fish finger factory. :D

I'll make a note of your guitar synth tips!
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 am

Interesting stuff mate, I've added to my notepad of 'things to check out'. Like the bit about the sheep's wool, little details that tell a big story. A slightly different kind of read I'm making my way through at the moment, but one crammed with the big and small of life, is the semi-meditative travelogue The Rings of Saturn by W.G.Sebald, I'd recommend it highly.
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:44 pm

Added to my reading list, so I may get around to it in the next 10 years!
TheAlex

Return to General