Snow watch

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Snow watch

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:28 pm

Whats it like round your way? Are you experiencing a bit of the 'Beast from the East?'

All quiet here at mo but absolutely bloody freezing. The kettles on, the heating is up, the blanket is out (I'm 45 you know) and the whisky is on standby.

Brrrr.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Re: Snow watch

Postby pomfob » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:11 pm

It's cold for sure, but this is Yorkshire and it's February, so *shrug*. We've had it worse.

A few flurries of snow throughout the day, but it's not settled or owt.

Whisky is always on standby round these parts, my buck.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:32 pm

pomfob wrote:Whisky is always on standby round these parts, my buck.

Good stuff!

From the latest reports looks like you might get 'the beast' on Wednesday, and we might see it down here tomorrow..
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby TheAlex » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:18 pm

In Chester today there were a few flakes - and as I watched them from upstairs - those few flakes couldn't decide whether to reach the ground or not.
TheAlex

Postby Heartland » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:40 am

Also in Yorkshire...

Bit of snow. No big deal. Might put me coat on... :-/
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Postby pomfob » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:57 pm

pomfob wrote:Whisky is always on standby round these parts, my buck.

As I retired to bed last night, I reached down for a warming nip from the bedside hip flask, and was shocked to find mere drops left.

I've done an audit of the whisky chez Pom, and all is well. Hip flask 2 filled with the M&S blended bottle (it was a gift, not complaining).

Otherwise it's an unopened 70cl of Glenfiddich 12, unopened 35cl Jura 10 and half a 70cl of Aberlour 10. It's nothing wild or outstanding (hello Dero if you're reading), but it'll keep me warm for a while to come.
pomfob

Postby Bastian » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:05 pm

If the forecast for Thursday evening to Friday morning pans out we might be looking at once in a generation kind of stuff.
Bastian

Postby pomfob » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:36 pm

Bastian wrote:If the forecast for Thursday evening to Friday morning pans out we might be looking at once in a generation kind of stuff.

Ooh heck. It's been snowing pretty constantly round here for 3 or 4 hours, and on & off most of today. Very light though, so just a dusting.

However, according to my family in Plymouth, they have something similar there - and that is pretty startling. They get snow about once a decade.
pomfob

Postby Mr Bod » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:37 am

SW London 2 flakes Tuesday trains all stop working, today a small covering told to work from home as it would be way too risky to travel

My folks up on the North Yorkshire moors snowed three times this year already bus to Whitby still running but has a shovel by the door to dig itself out just in case.

I miss the north
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby Rake » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:23 pm

Here on the South coast it is now officially brass monkeys now that the wind chill has kicked in.

Only light snow yesterday and a few flakes today, but this was enough to lead to the cancellation of the first two hourly buses from my sleepy village in The Downs to work in the Chavtropolis that is Lancing this morning. I needed a proper thawing out with a couple of hearty mugs of Yorkshire Gold tea when I eventually made it to work some 2 hours later. By the time I get home tonight, whenever that may be, whiskey will surely be required. I've got some mental-strength single malt that should do just the trick.

Guilt-free non-working day tomorrow to play in the snow that does arrive and then a likely work from home day Friday, as if the weather today was enough to screw the buses by Friday presumably the entire infrastructure of Sussex will be in tatters.
Rake

Postby Bastian » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 pm

pomfob wrote:
Bastian wrote:If the forecast for Thursday evening to Friday morning pans out we might be looking at once in a generation kind of stuff.

Ooh heck. It's been snowing pretty constantly round here for 3 or 4 hours, and on & off most of today. Very light though, so just a dusting.

However, according to my family in Plymouth, they have something similar there - and that is pretty startling. They get snow about once a decade.

Similar deal here. Currently as much as I've ever seen here and we're led to believe that it's only the support to tomorrow's main event.

Best plan for tomorrow might be to just stick on Man Or Aran and look out the window for a while.
Bastian

Postby pomfob » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:02 pm

Bastian wrote:Best plan for tomorrow might be to just stick on Man Or Aran and look out the window for a while.

Best plan most days, surely?

Been snowing non stop for about 3 or 4 hours now, can only tell where the pavement ends & the road starts because of the cars. Brrr.
pomfob

Postby Mr Bod » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:27 am

Well more snow in SW London overnight and i'm not moaning we never get any anymore, starting the day with Melvyn Bragg and guests discussing the influential ancient Chinese work Sun Tzu and The Art of War ...always know your enemy ..
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby TheAlex » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:22 pm

I had a bit of an adventure yesterday. I have some old walking shoes with completely worn grips and some ice crampons I haven't tried, so I fitted the crampons to the boots.

"These aren't very good," I thought as I slipped down a small bank and almost into the stream I was about to cross.

A few minutes later I realised the crampons were no longer attached to my boots, and walked all the way home without finding them. I found one of them on the way back, which then proceeded to fall off twice resulting in more backtracking in brief blizzards which quickly covered the best clues (my footprints).

Crossing the stream on the way back, a huge dog soaked my leg when it brushed past me and jumped into the stream (it could possibly have taken me out completely). I didn't say anything but gave the owner a dirty look.

It was meant to be a half-hour walk, but I got home about two hours later with my fingers aching with cold (a finger and thumb still hurt today).

Anyway, it was all worthwhile as my target was a little waterfall which looked beautiful in the snow with icicles and stuff. I'll post a picture when I download the photos from my camera. It was only a simple walk but I wouldn't like to be up a mountain in that weather, or even lowland Scotland which I hear has much worse weather than little Staffordshire at the moment.
TheAlex

Return to General