Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby Cold Ethyl » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:36 pm

While part of me agrees that a band can't just keep producing the same album over and over without inevitably becoming a pastiche of themselves ( hence why I appear to have never opened the last two REM albums- oops!), part of me wishes that they could.. Imagine another Decline or first Waterboys' album.. Or maybe all bands should be given a three album only contract- great debut, so so second and then make or break time on the third. The albums and songs i've loved the most have always drawn upon a sense of longing, that inevitable nostalgia for a time when all things seemed possible still and maybe that is a well of inspiration that can only be drawn upon once or twice in a career?

Any way enough of my talking bollocks.. Should I put pease pudding on my ham bun and pretend it's a Greggs' stottie?

Ps mine would go Decline, OS and MOA. Then a compilation of the best from the other three.
"Even if I saw these names grouped together completely out of context away from here... lets say a set of albums sitting together in a charity shop - I would immediately think of you and no other!"

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:42 pm

I think my dislike for DYLRM hit me so hard at the time that I lost a lot of faith in the good ship BSP. It was like I thought they were one thing, but they revealed themselves to be quite another. It was like finding out your dad is a cross dresser or something. I'm not referring to your dad in particular, obviously.

Half of it is probably in my perception, these things tend to be, but I was excitedly expecting the follow up to Decline and OS, the music, the artwork, the attention to detail and what I felt I got was a terrible compromise, 25% BSP and 70% a half baked attempt at winning the mercury prize or whatever it/was/tiswas sodding well called.

I dont know what the other 5% was. Canvey Island football shirts, probably.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Sorry, just realised this thread has gone way off topic.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Rake » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:50 pm

That's fine, I think we'd done the top 3 to death, time to do 'what went wrong?' to death again instead ;-)

I actually think you've summed up my feelings perfectly re; the DYLRM era, I felt cheated too, and cheated by the best looking and most sorted girlfriend I'd had in years. I was just playing Krankenhaus and was struck by how much better an album DYLRM would've been if they'd dropped Canvey Island, Down on the Ground, A Trip Out, No Need To Cry and We Close Our Eyes for Straight Down The Line and Hearing Aid.
Rake

Postby Cold Ethyl » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:50 pm

Wendelin of Trier wrote:I think my dislike for DYLRM hit me so hard at the time that I lost a lot of faith in the good ship BSP. It was like I thought they were one thing, but they revealed themselves to be quite another. It was like finding out your dad is a cross dresser or something. I'm not referring to your dad in particular, obviously.

Half of it is probably in my perception, these things tend to be, but I was excitedly expecting the follow up to Decline and OS, the music, the artwork, the attention to detail and what I felt I got was a terrible compromise, 25% BSP and 70% a half baked attempt at winning the mercury prize or whatever it/was/tiswas sodding well called.

Eloquently appraised. I think I got what I expected - the no thought British Home Stores dinner service wedding gift- the one you feel obliged to use but you can't wait till it breaks. Great Skua aside, I can't think of anything on it that now makes me go wow.. Couple of half decent tracks in Waving Flags and Lights Out, but even they don't make me feel like I'm looking at myself and my life through someone else's eyes. I''m with you on the cross dressing analogy. It was like finding out that it was a monkey with a typewriter after all.
"Even if I saw these names grouped together completely out of context away from here... lets say a set of albums sitting together in a charity shop - I would immediately think of you and no other!"

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Rake wrote:That's fine, I think we'd done the top 3 to death, time to do 'what went wrong?' to death again instead ;-)

I actually think you've summed up my feelings perfectly re; the DYLRM era, I felt cheated too, and cheated by the best looking and most sorted girlfriend I'd had in years. I was just playing Krankenhaus and was struck by how much better an album DYLRM would've been if they'd dropped Canvey Island, Down on the Ground and A Trip Out for Straight Down The Line and Hearing Aid.

Well, its funny, just shows how subjective it is, because I thought Down on the Ground and a Trip Out were among the strongest on that one.
I totally agree about Canvey Island. Awful. I hated lights out for darker skies too. It felt almost like a novelty album to me. i hated the production on it too.
I like straight down the line, although its a bit throwaway, but not keen on Hearing Aid at all. Zeus is a classic though.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Cold Ethyl wrote:
Wendelin of Trier wrote:I think my dislike for DYLRM hit me so hard at the time that I lost a lot of faith in the good ship BSP. It was like I thought they were one thing, but they revealed themselves to be quite another. It was like finding out your dad is a cross dresser or something. I'm not referring to your dad in particular, obviously.

Eloquently appraised. I think I got what I expected - the no thought British Home Stores dinner service wedding gift- the one you feel obliged to use but you can't wait till it breaks. Great Skua aside, I can't think of anything on it that now makes me go wow.. Couple of half decent tracks in Waving Flags and Lights Out, but even they don't make me feel like I'm looking at myself and my life through someone else's eyes. I''m with you on the cross dressing analogy. It was like finding out that it was a monkey with a typewriter after all.

Haha, BHS dinner service indeed! And you're right, you feel an 'obligation' of sorts don't you, partly because you want to like it so much, you don't want to feel your time has been wasted in some strange way or that youve been let down. I think I tried to make DYLRM good in my head many times, but it never worked out. :)
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Blackout » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:59 pm

I just didn't really like it cos it wasn't the sort of thing I was listening to at that point in time, and I still don't cos it reminds me of some very shitty times of my life (though individual songs out of context work fine in the live set)What I did not do was then instantly decide the band were now shit and slag off everything else they did after it and by association anyone who liked it, which was pretty much why I fucked off this forum for a long time, it was like considered some sort of crime to still like the band.

I'd be hard pushed to pick an order; though if forced I'd go with 1/2/5 equal first, then 4/6 equal second. Genuinely can't choose beyond that.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:02 pm

Blackout wrote:I just didn't really like it cos it wasn't the sort of thing I was listening to at that point in time. What I did not do was then instantly decide the band were now shit and slag off everything else they did after it and by association anyone who liked it, which was pretty much why I fucked off this forum for a long time, it was like considered some sort of crime to still like the band.

Big love = Bad breakup

Im now past the breakup stage, gone through the reflection stage and can now just enjoy what I like of theirs without feeling in some way let down!
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:05 pm

'Managing your expectations' is what they call it, I think.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Rake » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Blackout wrote:What I did not do was then instantly decide the band were now shit and slag off everything else they did after it and by association anyone who liked it, which was pretty much why I fucked off this forum for a long time, it was like considered some sort of crime to still like the band.

Yes, I remember that time well too, it was the closest I'd come to quitting this place. I guess we're all a bit older (definitely), wiser (hopefully), and mellower (probably) now. I think that's why, apart from being a very good album in its own right, I love MOJ so much - it feels like a reward for keeping the faith.
Rake

Postby pomfob » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Harumph. It's all subjective of course, but this dislike of Do You Like Rock Music? I just don't get it. It rather tails off after Atom, but overall I bloody love it. The intro bit to Atom would be my favourite moment of theirs if it wasn't for The Great Skua ...and the rest of Atom (which would be perfect if it wasn't for the vomiting noises at the end)...why all the hate for Canvey Island? It's quite sweet. Lights Out For Darker Skies, Waving Flags, No Lucifer, Down On The Ground - c'mon, these are great songs that stir the blood, surely?

I'll get back in the box now, shall I?
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby mick wright » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:40 pm

Blackout wrote:A couple of people had mentioned the band name to me in 2002, but likewise it was a flyer handed to me while queuing for a gig in Brighton (or Hove, actually, as "they" allegedly say) - Interpol at the Old Market -.

Ohh I was at that gig too - have we had that conversation? Smoking monitors? Carlos setting off the fire alarm post gig?? My embarassingly non-verbal communication with Sam during Roland???

Erm..Top 3 then
BSP
Clinic
Interpol
(all done when I could drive and had enough of the disposables to do it.)

Admirable mentions (ie >10) for when I was relatively skint and had to rely on trains goes to The Fall, Bauhaus, Cocteau Twins, Xmal Deutshland, Wolfgang Press and, ahem, The Reluctant Stereotypes.
What you need the most,
Is beans on cheese on toast. Today.
mick wright

Postby pomfob » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:51 pm

mick wright wrote:Admirable mentions (ie >10) for when I was relatively skint and had to rely on trains goes to The Fall, Bauhaus, Cocteau Twins, Xmal Deutshland, Wolfgang Press and, ahem, The Reluctant Stereotypes.

4AD obsessive? Me too. Sir, I salute you, only ever saw Cocteau Twins & Xmal once (both past their best, truth be told), The Wolfgang Press a couple of times...as for Bauhaus...I wish!
Last edited by pomfob on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:11 pm

pomfob wrote:Harumph. It's all subjective of course, but this dislike of Do You Like Rock Music? I just don't get it. It rather tails off after Atom, but overall I bloody love it. The intro bit to Atom would be my favourite moment of theirs if it wasn't for The Great Skua ...and the rest of Atom (which would be perfect if it wasn't for the vomiting noises at the end)...why all the hate for Canvey Island? It's quite sweet. Lights Out For Darker Skies, Waving Flags, No Lucifer, Down On The Ground - c'mon, these are great songs that stir the blood, surely?

I'll get back in the box now, shall I?

Yeah that bit at the very start of 'Atom' is lovely. Great Skua is ok, but leaves me feeling a bit flat really. A better production would have helped, I don't like the way it sounds at all, sort of mushy and warm. The song is ok, but much prefer 'Heavenly Waters', for example.
Waving flags and No lucifer really feel 'novelty' to me, I just can't really relate to them, especially after being previously presented with Decline & OS, like I said.
Wendelin of Trier

PreviousNext

Return to General