updates

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

updates

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:18 pm

Can I be brought up to speed with everyone, please?

I'll start....
I am grumpier than I used to be.
Youngs are closing the factory I work at (it was in the Observer and everything).
I don't read as much.
I cycle again (knee still hurts a bit though)
I still owe Skinku a tenner
I haven't bought a Sea Power album since Do You Like...
I still talk to Ethyl
I watch Downton, and enjoy it (without irony)
I think I saw Tristan on University challenge (and James, I think the year before)
I still don't know what I am looking for.

If you know what is going on from posters from t'old days who no longer post please can you update for them too...

Thanks
NicholasVanWotsisface

Re: updates

Postby Rake » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:31 pm

I am about as cheerful as I always remember being outside the really shit times.
I officially work for the Devil; as of midnight on Halloween I had logged and investigated 666 site issues for the year, no shitting.
I've got 6 books on the go and am struggling with 5 of them.
I still walk a lot. Sometimes I think I could just keep walking.
I still owe Skinku a hug.
I've bought every Sea Power album/cd since Do You Like...and loved them, although I am getting increasingly sentimental about the Decline era.
I still talk to Ethyl on Facebook occassionally.
I also watch Downton, and enjoy it (without irony).
I think I thought I saw you try
I know what I am looking for but I'll be buggered if I can find it.
Rake

Postby Thing2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:40 pm

I'm mostly supine
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Thing2

Postby redc » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Once a month I'm Lupine.
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby TheAlex » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:06 pm

I don't get it.
TheAlex

Postby [FBI Scanbot] » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:23 pm

Assistant Director Vanwotisface, good to see you back sir. We have run an official state of the forum update as requested. The most recent breakdown is as follows:

Self-publicising gobshites 6%
Supernatural beings 3%
Largely incomprehensible AI prototypes 3%
British Sea Power fans 88%

Comparing these statistics with those of April 2010 (appended for ease), we are forced to conclude that British Sea Power have resumed being any good. Would you like us to arrange for the seizure of all extant copies of Man of Aran, Zeus and Valhalla Dancehall as a precaution? Please notify in due course. Code Yellow.

State of the forum April 2010

Well meaning liberals: 27%
Obstreperous contrarians: 21%
Comedy pseudonyms: 15%
Harmless deviants: 13%
Future Conservative MPs: 9%
Artists in residence: 3%
Supernatural beings: 3%
British Sea Power fans: 9%
[FBI Scanbot]

Postby Lieutenant Woodpigeon » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:17 pm

NicholasVanWotsisface wrote:Can I be brought up to speed with everyone, please?

I'll start....
I am grumpier than I used to be.
Youngs are closing the factory I work at (it was in the Observer and everything).
I don't read as much.
I cycle again (knee still hurts a bit though)
I still owe Skinku a tenner
I haven't bought a Sea Power album since Do You Like...
I still talk to Ethyl
I watch Downton, and enjoy it (without irony)
I think I saw Tristan on University challenge (and James, I think the year before)
I still don't know what I am looking for.

If you know what is going on from posters from t'old days who no longer post please can you update for them too...

Thanks

I am also grumpier than I used to be.
David Cameron would like to shut my workplace down, but I live in Scotland, so he can fuck off.
I never read much anyway (never been the same since Ethyl recommended some books).
The world is a safer place as long as I don't go near a bicycle.
I have never knowingly borrowed money from anyone on the Forum, but I owe some people so much.
I have bought a BSP album since DYLRM.
I try to talk to Ethyl, but she's elusive.
I have never seen Downton, but watched Spooks, instead.
Tristan is never off University Challenge.
Don't get around much anymore.
Wave to the Wottingers.
Lieutenant Woodpigeon

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:13 am

Not sure if I'm grumpier than I used to be, probably not.
Not in the bulbs anymore, now have a "proper" job in publishing
I don't read much literature now, mostly history, not picked up a novel in ages, don't know why
Knacked me bike, getting a new one. I like cycling
I haven't seen Skinku since 2006 at Sheffield.
I talk to Ethyl now and again, normally she responds when I post something rude or intemperate on a Social Media platform
Up to date more or less with BSP, still need that new green CD
I don't watch telly so no period dramas or ex forumites baiting Paxman
Still drawing but no painting
I am looking for a bit of quiet & a change of tack next year, especially after May
Die "beste Show ever" (c) British Sea Power) beinhaltete fliegende Zwiebeln, einen Plüsch-Pferdekopf, Walzer-tanzende Fans und Musiker, das Besteigen der Boxen, das unabsichtliche Zerstören der Speaker (und einer Gitarre und einem Keyboard).
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby Blackout » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:44 am

I am generally happier than I used to be although I know it goes in cycles.

The American owners have still managed not to run our factory into the ground, somehow, leaving me one of the diminishing species of British people who still works in manufacturing, they'll probably be sticking us in a museum soon so all the service industry people can come and see what it looked like to actually make stuff.

I read a novel recently for the first time in about three years, it was "Alone In Berlin" as recommended on this foum and it was excellent.

I still don't do enough healthy exercise.

I saw Skinku and Mrs Skinku on Saturday and both seem well and happy.

I've bought all BSP's releases and can safely say I like all of them better than DYLRM.

I have not seen Ethyl in a while, which makes me a little sad.

I have never seen Downton, which doesn't.

I missed Tristan on University challenge last night because I went out to watch Josh T Pearson, who was brilliant, and when I got home I-player wasn't working.

I will turn 40 in a few weeks, thus have been doing a lot of that existential / "taking stock of my life" stuff recently, and have come to the conclusion that it's alright actually.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Airbrushed From History » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:00 am

I am always grumpy. I was bought a Grumpy Old Man mug for my tea.

I am on a 6 month contract so will possibly be on the dole come March.

I read all the time. Last two novels were The Sense Of An Ending and A Visit from the Goon Squad. I have also been reading various books about Android development and some papers about cis regulation in neural stem cells.

I play 5-a-side 3 days a week. My knees ache for the other 4 days so perhaps I need to cut down.

I only know what Skinku looks like because of photos posted here in the distant past. Despite me being 6'4" the bugger obscured my view at the Forum gig in November 2007.

I bought Valhalla Dancehall but haven't listened to it yet. I've no idea what these red and green CDs are but am likely to investigate at some stage.

I have never seen Ethyl.

Or Downton.

I've been on University Challenge but often miss it these days as I'm usually sanding skirting boards.

This doesn't really count as an update as none of you know who I am. Except James Sui who doesn't come here anymore.
British Sea Power Forum Official Celebrity Short Description Mid Winter Word Search Competition Winner 2007.
Airbrushed From History

Postby Wicker Man » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:14 pm

I've never been grumpy, but I do feel panicky more often than I used to.
I've lost two regular jobs over the past year, but am being offered exciting new opportunities I don't have the time or wherewithal to make the most of.
I read sporadically, but mostly newspapers and children's books.
I only started cycling this year - along the seafront, mostly - but the bike belongs to a friend's ex and he'll probably want it back soon.
To the best of my knowledge I've never met Skinku, but I did recently fall out with him on here. A 'joke' fell flat, he took offence and I regret it.
I've bought all of the Sea Power albums and most of the 'reformed meat'-type products, and have a special place in my heart for the Zeus EP and Valhalla VIP thing.
I'm not aware of having met Ethyl, but I think I've encountered Blackout once or twice.
I used to quite like Doc Martin, but I can't be arsed with it now.
I saw Tristan on University challenge the other day, but I assumed it was a repeat and left the room.
My life is at a tumultuous crossroads, and I feel a bit frozen by it all.

Sorry, Nicholas - I don't think we've met, but that was quite theraputic.
Wicker Man

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:22 pm

I once met Nic and he said don't you fucking know me? and started laughing and I thought he was stalking me but you know it was almost 7 years ago and a lot of water has been passed by all of us since then.
Die "beste Show ever" (c) British Sea Power) beinhaltete fliegende Zwiebeln, einen Plüsch-Pferdekopf, Walzer-tanzende Fans und Musiker, das Besteigen der Boxen, das unabsichtliche Zerstören der Speaker (und einer Gitarre und einem Keyboard).
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby Smoggy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm not really grumpy at all, More cynical than I used to be perhaps, I'm older, obviously

I quit college and got a job at McDonalds, I'm still not sure whether that was the right decision...I can get promoted to a manager role at McDonalds at get a job somewhere else, after college I've just got no job and a piece of paper saying I'm good at sitting on my own playing along to Rush.

The only thing I read are forums, the odd paper and 'zines.

I had a go on a pushbike for the first time in ages a month or two ago, It was only to go to Bargain Booze to buy 4 cans of Dragon Soop but it hurt, I am unfit.

I owe skinku nothing, nothing at all (Bros reference).

I didn't buy Valhalla Dancehall, I intended to buy it at a HMV signing session but it was £20 or something so I bought a copy of Cool Runnings on DVD for £3 and got them to sign that instead.

Ethyl and I often exchange facebook comments.

I don't watch Downtown, I mostly watch Pointless, Only Connect, Wipeout and Chain Letters.

Despite my penchant for quiz programmes I don't really watch University Challenge as it's mostly bobbins and if something good happens I'll eventually findout somehow, see Grinyer.

I still haven't found what I'm looking for (U2 reference)
Smoggy

Postby wishiwasskinny » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:43 pm

I'm only occasionally grumpy and then only really at work. I'm pretty swell most days.

I'm half way through a 4 year training contract in Radiotherapy Physics. There should be a job at the end of it.

Reading quite a lot at the moment. Currently on Far From The Madding Crowd which will hopefully end up joyously depressing. Fuck happy endings.

I keep telling myself I'll buy a bike, but I never do. I'm too fond of the buses, despite them being quite awful.

I've got VD. It's not as bad as some people make out.

I don't watch Downton. Pointless is the only thing on TV worth watching. Paxman boils my piss.

I don't know who any of you are, but you're probably all alright.
wishiwasskinny

Postby gtw » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm not grumpier, but almost certainly mellower than I used to be.
We've had in many ways a truly shit three years, with about a dozen people we know well dying, including four or five from our inner circle. Life seems to have returned to an equilibrium recently though and a wider lesson seems to be that life goes on, unless it doesn't.
I read i paper on the way into work, evening standard on the way home. Last book read was Do It For Your Mother, which I enjoyed immensely.
I'm no less concerned about climate change than I used to be, but don't go on much about it these days.
I really should get the bike out the garage and start using it a bit. But probably won't.
It was nice to see the Skinkus at a couple of BSP gigs recently.
I've bought pretty much every BSP release bar a few singles.
I want to go and spend a few days milking Ethyl's cows.
Currently enjoying The Slap and Masterchef - The Professionals. The Hour was great recently also. I preferred the Upstairs Downstairs reboot to Downton, but do watch the latter, ironically.
how's it going to end?
gtw

Next

Return to General