Birmingham, 10th February 2024

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Birmingham, 10th February 2024

Postby Slim » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:14 pm

This was the third time I'd seen the band in Birmingham in the last four years, and the third different venue. Birmingham Town Hall is a grand, spacious concert hall, renovated in the noughties. It's a very smart, elegant venue.

To be honest - I don't think they quite brought the magic last night. They played well. It was great to have Do You Like Rock Music? played in its entirety, an album experience and a gig at the same time. But - I thought the set sagged a bit in the middle. Just a couple too many of those drawn-out, moody outros. Interaction with the audience was minimal and there was something a little perfunctory about the whole performance.

I'm sure the venue sucked some of the energy out of the gig. Actually for such a distinguished concert hall, the sound wasn't great. I was amused to see how many different chord voicings Hamilton used to play the same three chord motif in No Lucifer, to no audible effect.

There was no encore, so to speak. More like two sets, punctuated by a very brief intermission. For sure Remember Me and Carrion lifted the atmosphere considerably but on the whole .. a little bit low key.
Slim

Re: Birmingham, 10th February 2024

Postby Heartland » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:51 am

Fair write up; I had similar feelings about Manchester. You’ve got to remember though they’re all getting on a bit now.

Spent a portion of Saturday afternoon explaining to some friends that it felt more like two sets, than a performance with an encore.

Look on the bright side; this could cement their future as a clubland act
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Re: Birmingham, 10th February 2024

Postby Slim » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:45 am

Whatever it was that was missing in Birmingham, they brought plenty of it with them to the Leadmill. Joyous gig. More on that later.
Slim

Return to British Sea Power