Everything Was Forever release day hallelujah

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Everything Was Forever release day hallelujah

Postby Wicker Man » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:58 am

For old time's sake.

Just finished my second listen. It's one of their best ever, eh?

Hoping the postie will drop off my box set later but not holding my breath - Storm Eunice is in the ascendent and the wheelie bins have started flying.

One morning
You are gonna wake up
In a different world

Happy release day, everyone!
Wicker Man

Re: Everything Was Forever release day hallelujah

Postby avocetboy » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:12 pm

Yup, its great
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Postby flatland juz » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:16 pm

Ooh, it came. It's epic.
flatland juz

Postby Digger2 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:16 pm

Epic. Sprawling. Ethereal. Trippy.
Their soundtrack stuff has clearly informed this record, but rightly contributed rather than dominated, and the result is a meisterwerk.
Best since DYLRM, time will tell it may go higher.
Congrats to all the band, they truly deserve the long overdue plaudits.
Awesome stuff.
Digger2

Postby Kattegat » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:44 am

It's a magnific album. They managed to capture everything that makes them so great and put it in a focused album. Hope it gets the attention it deserves.
Kattegat

Postby polak451 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:25 pm

Bit peeved that they have had my funders cash for more than three years now but no album for me yet.
polak451

Postby T Adventurer » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:21 pm

It was painful on Friday waiting for the post to arrive whilst reading all the excellent reviews.
What with Eunice battering us and the postman failing to turn up, I felt doomed.
However, my box set arrived Saturday and I couldn't wait to hear it. Wonderful, simply wonderful and yes all the ingredients which makes Sea Power so great were there.
OK, it has been three years since the album was announced, but it has been worth the wait, even on first hearing you just know that these songs are going to stand the test of time.
Tuesday, I'm off to the Cavern in Liverpool to hear these songs live and I can't bloody wait.
A great album indeed and I agree, wouldn't it be superb if they get the recognition they deserve.
T Adventurer

Postby Wicker Man » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:22 pm

Agree with most of the above.
Some crackers on the Alternatives disc, too - great to hear Rocky VI finally getting a proper outing after all these years!
Amsterdam on the extended LP is another beaut. I love it when Hammy goes proper folk rock.
Wicker Man

Postby flatland juz » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:51 pm

It’s a Whopper. Quite an emotional listen, and that was before reading the sleevenotes. It’s not the album I was expecting, it is much better; absorbing, humane and none of it obvious. Have to say I prefer it with Vestiges and Amsterdam included, they change the shape of the album for the better. This band can still go anywhere!
flatland juz

Postby Bastian » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:31 pm

It's undoubtedly a brilliant album. As to the level of it's greatness when put up next to all their previous albums, It's far too early for me to compare. This would be the case after only several listens to any of the bands albums just after their release, but even more so with EWF.

We've had 4 digital/radio singles and Doppelgänger released over the last 9 months or so. For me these songs individually have taken on a bit of a life of their own and now are suddenly part of album. I'd probably have a much better idea of how much I like the album if I'd only heard one or two of these songs and not been listening to them extensively over the last several months. I'm not complaining either. During the shitty pandemic these songs were an absolute tonic for me and gave me hope. And knowing them also made the one time I've seen them over the last couple of years an even better experience. I saw a tweet from a fan the other day saying that he'd avoided all the singles because he just wanted to hear them all together as part of the album for the first time. Fair play to him, but I would never have had that discipline.

To give some thoughts on the album. Even after hearing 5 songs already from it, it's a testament to the quality that at least another couple of songs we had not yet heard could easily have been considered as a lead single. Fire Escape To The Sea (as it's now called) would make a really nice single. Perhaps as it's already had a previous couple of lives, that might have put the band off using it as a promo.

Still no sign of the actual funder boxset for me unfortunately, which is very annoying, but at least I can still listen to it, which of course is the most important thing.
Bastian

Postby Primrose44 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:40 pm

The comments show clearly that the release was epic. I can't wait to listen and as well share my plaudits!
Last edited by Primrose44 on Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Primrose44

Postby Slim » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:56 pm

Liking it a lot, so far. To be honest I wasn't expecting to like it quite so much because none of the new tunes so far has really grabbed me that much. But as an album experience, it improves. Sort of still doubtful that I'll like it as much as my favourite couple of BSP records. But certainly, nothing to complain about!

Slim

Postby atombowl65 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:50 pm

Is anyone in the UK still waiting for their funders box-set to arrive? If so was it Royal Mail or somebody else? Starting to get a bit worried but don't want to bother the band while they're touring
atombowl65

Postby Slim » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:18 pm

Mine only came yesterday. Hope yours arrives tomorrow.
Slim

Postby atombowl65 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:17 pm

aah, good to know, thanks. The vinyl turned up today, so not all bad
atombowl65

Next

Return to British Sea Power