Polar Challenge- Gareth would like to explain

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Polar Challenge- Gareth would like to explain

Postby Gareth Ellis » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:58 am

Good morning nice BSP people

I had a good read through your discussion of BSPs sponsorship and my participation in this event and I agree with many things you say in respect of this appearing hypocritical so please allow me to introduce myself and explain myself.

Firstly I am not a rich kid type, I am a simple engineer with a spirit of adventure. I have funded this through hard work and some assistance from companies who wish to use this as an internal marketing opportunity to inspire their staff. Whilst at the same time contributing any private sponsorships direct to charities.

I am not trying to raise 18000 then give money to charity once I have reached my goal to get me in the race. That's not what I am all about! I have only raised 5000 through corporate sponsorship. I have put 13000 of my own money into this. Everything I get from here on in goes to charity. Everything over and above cost price of t-shirts and badges will go to my 3 charities…

NSPCC- because my mother works for and with them and to be frank some of the horror stories she tells me about child abuse are just unbelievable. I would like to tell you some on this forum to give you an idea but they are too hideous to write up!

JDRF- Juvenile Diabetes research Fund- I work with people with this ailment and the company I work for are deeply involved in their own private fund raising schemes.

PBI- Polar Bear International Research- I want to contribute to important research into the change in habitat of these creatures. I also love the idea of researching whilst racing...sounds hypocritical again, but listen.... Much of the current research is only down in Hudson Bay area and it is already clear from there that the animals are becoming more distressed and more malnourished, and are therefore starting to roam to other locations to find food, shelter etc which is being depleted further South. The High Arctic where we are racing is an area they know little about when it comes to polar bears and the marine ecosystem. In the longer term, it is expected that the High Arctic will be the primary refuge for polar bears if the climate continues to warm. Observations of any polar bear predation events are therefore very useful even if the bear isn't about (and it is not recommend going over to investigate closer!). I will record location of bears, feeding observations, condition of bears, numbers of cubs and so on.

WHY HAVE I ENTERED?
For a long time in my life I have wanted to visit the polar regions. I am a geologist and naturally inquisitive about nature, the earths processes and why and how we are here and developed how we did as a race. Yes...I am entering this race for my own selfish personal ambition, some people are cool with that, some people think it a waste of time and money and carbon! I want to go there, I want to race there and push myself...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go…and our limits are often far beyond where we assume them to be". (T.S. Eliot)

I want to do all this in the most sensitive way possible, hence the charity work.

This is what the race organisers have to say about their carbon footprint....

http://www.polar-challenge.com//detail. ... icleID=386

Finally, Global Warming, what and who do we believe? There is so much going around in the media, and many different opinions. Whether or not you believe global warming is due to mans intervention in the earth cycle, or if it is a natural phenomenon and the earth cools and heats due to other processes, we all need to change our lifestyles accordingly for the simple fact that we are littering up the planet and ruining our own health and that of animals co-existing with us.

FINALLY...as a BSP fan I am absolutely blown away by the bands decison to patronize my Polar Challenge team. The fact that I can use their name is very flattering for me. British Sea Power Polar Team sounds awesome. To be able to use this opportunity with BSP to raise funds for charity is again fantastic, and I hope that they and you will inturn get a little enjoyment back out of following the team and hopefully cheering us on to win!

If you want a t-shirt cos it looks cool, buy it, if you want one cos it looks cool and you are contributing to some charities, even better.

Thanks for reading this guys and girls, if you wnat to know any more you can email and I'll do my best to answer you.

G
Gareth Ellis

Postby nora dindian » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:04 am

Well I for one wish you all the best for the race. I hope you write a diary of your experience. We will be interested to see how it goes.

Out of interest, will you have any bsp music with you, and what track(s) will you listen to when in that vast and dramatic area?
nora dindian

Postby Gareth Ellis » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:09 am

thanks Nora

I listen to them all the time in training and will be taking an MP3, current training favourite is the Atom, but I think 'The Great Skua' will sound amazing out there!
Gareth Ellis

Postby nora dindian » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:11 am

and True Adventures surely?
nora dindian

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:12 am

Brilliant stuff. Best of luck.

Heavenly Waters springs to mind too.
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby Skinku » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:26 am

Thanks for coming on and giving your background and views Gareth.
The Skinkus wish you good luck.
Skinku

Postby sputnik 101 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:39 am

Many thanks for taking the time to explain this to us Gareth. Good luck, and try not to shoot any polar bears!
sputnik 101

Postby Spaceman! » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:41 am

the best of luck, i hope it all goes well.

can we expect an Ellen Macarthur style video diary?
"One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz."
visit my blog; THE GUEST ROOM
Spaceman!

Postby Cold Ethyl » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:57 am

best of british from all chez Ethyl. don;t think you'll get much wear out your t-shirt out there though. x
"Even if I saw these names grouped together completely out of context away from here... lets say a set of albums sitting together in a charity shop - I would immediately think of you and no other!"

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby mick wright » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Best wishes for this. Excellent charities too.

Polar Bears have cute noses, I've been told.

[..and thanks for not making me feel as bad I did yesterday about my Three Peaks endeavour]
What you need the most,
Is beans on cheese on toast. Today.
mick wright

Postby Gareth Ellis » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:30 pm

thanks everyone for your kind wishes. Polar Bears do indeed have cute noses, and you can all be rest assured that I will not shoot one, cos apart from anything else, if you shoot one even if you are being attacked, you still have to pay a fine of 20000 canadian dollars. since there is no way i can afford that, in order to survive i will resort to using my sense of humour and long intelligent words, like i did with the school bullies!
Gareth Ellis

Postby Trev » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:47 pm

Fascinating post Gareth - good luck! Wish I was going.
Could I also recommend 'Polar Bear' by Ride - a wonderful ditty.
Far back, through creeks and inlets making ...
Trev

Postby Dero » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:04 pm

How nice.

Good luck, I shall purchase cool things to help you along you way.
Can a man of perception respect himself at all?
Dero

Postby The Good Doctor » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:03 pm

Best wishes Gareth! Can we expect a lecture, with documentary film, to be presented at the Royal Institution, followed by BSP concert, on your return?
The Good Doctor

Postby No Paranoia » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Good luck and thank you also on behalf of Knut, Flocke and countless other nonnaturally kept polar bears all over the world.
No Paranoia

Next

Return to British Sea Power