6Music

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

6Music

Postby Ketchup » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:10 pm

Callum aside, what the hell's going on with it?

Jupitus has gone, so have most of the decent launch presenters.

And now Gideon Coe, the last bastion of daytime decency is being shunted to some rubbish night-time slot in favour of some pillock called George Lamb.

Colin Murray's show is just a non-stop indie disco. Xfm's sounds just plain shit.

Where else can I hear proper music and interesting presenters?
Ketchup

Postby ceecee » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:18 pm

Aww I still like Lamacq - his voice has a soothing, lullaby-like quality to it which means that I should make more of an effort to catch his Radio2 late night show (I happened upon it on Wed night as I drove back from Sheffield) - would be good to send me to sleep

I think they're doing ok with the comedy show presenters aren't they? Russell Howard and Stephen Merchant are some of the most downloaded podcasts if I'm not mistaken.

George Lamb looks younger than a 6music presenter ought to be - but I can't listen to his late night show - Gideon at the same time would be good

To anwer your first question = the director of programmes has just been sacked in the phone-in competitions row so maybe there's disarray in the ranks, or perhaps just not enough listeners? If they had to fake winners or let me win whenever I emailed/texted (yes, really)...

(Guardian:
Ric Blaxill, the director of programmes at digital radio station 6Music, yesterday becoming the most senior casualty to date when he resigned.

Two of the rigged competitions revealed yesterday involved shows on 6Music, as did one of the six that came to light in July.
)
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
ceecee

Postby Ketchup » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:49 pm

I've got about 20/30 CDs I've won from the station over the past couple of years, so it's not all rigged.

Can't say that I'm at all bothered by this whole 'trust' thing that broadcasters are beating themselves up about. My trust in the Beeb is only being shaken by a willingness to engage in over-enthusiastic witch hunts which cost people jobs over errors of judgement...
Ketchup

Postby Lettuce Spray » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:58 pm

Completely. It is a witch hunt at the Beeb at the moment and it is a total disgrace. They are making fools of themselves, and they will create a culture where staff are terrified of making mistakes, and end up scared of their own shadows. One of the things you learn in management is that staff have got to be able to make mistakes and learn from them. If you start sacking everyone who makes a mistake, you will lose some great staff and also will not be able to then attract the best staff either. And what were the mistakes? Its not that they were caught with their hands in the till or snorting coke in the BBC canteen or anything. All they were doing was making what they thought were the best decisions for the programmes they were working on. Errors of judgement of this kind should result in a warning at the most.
Lettuce Spray

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:10 pm

Andy Kershaw's where it's at, cock
Die "beste Show ever" (c) British Sea Power) beinhaltete fliegende Zwiebeln, einen Plüsch-Pferdekopf, Walzer-tanzende Fans und Musiker, das Besteigen der Boxen, das unabsichtliche Zerstören der Speaker (und einer Gitarre und einem Keyboard).
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby bancroftboy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:38 pm

Lancashire Fusileer wrote:Andy Kershaw's where it's at, cock

prison?
bancroftboy

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:41 pm

he could be in cock prison by the sound of it Jim.
Die "beste Show ever" (c) British Sea Power) beinhaltete fliegende Zwiebeln, einen Plüsch-Pferdekopf, Walzer-tanzende Fans und Musiker, das Besteigen der Boxen, das unabsichtliche Zerstören der Speaker (und einer Gitarre und einem Keyboard).
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby bancroftboy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:44 pm

actually it seems to me what is happening at 6music is exactly what happened at xfm. there just isnt an audience for the more esoteric end of pop music, or if there is its a small one. in the end even the bbc need to have an audience to justify themselves.
its nice to have people playing what they want and all that but this isnt the 70s/80s. people can consume their music from lots of places now. if john peel was starting now he would be listened to by a little group of people on an internet radio station
bancroftboy

Postby kevo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:53 pm

Yes, it was amazing how downhill XfM went after it was taken over by Capitol (spit). 6Music is virtually the only station I listen to and that's pretty intermittently. Does Stuart Maconie still do his Sunday afternoon show? That was always worth a listen.
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Lieutenant Woodpigeon » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:13 pm

bancroftboy wrote:actually it seems to me what is happening at 6music is exactly what happened at xfm. there just isnt an audience for the more esoteric end of pop music, or if there is its a small one. in the end even the bbc need to have an audience to justify themselves.
its nice to have people playing what they want and all that but this isnt the 70s/80s. people can consume their music from lots of places now. if john peel was starting now he would be listened to by a little group of people on an internet radio station

Blaxhill ruined xfm and was brought into 6Music to do the same thing. He has also succeeded in deflecting some attention from the woman who has managed to flush two perfectly good stations down the toilet; Lesley Douglas.
Lieutenant Woodpigeon

Postby bancroftboy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:14 pm

Lancashire Fusileer wrote:he could be in cock prison by the sound of it Jim.

i realised that i had no idea what he had done other than he was in trouble so i just had a look. he breached a restraining order and was caught drink driving.
it isnt good but i'm surprised that it adds up to the threat of prison

serve him right for living in the isle of man
hes lucky they dont still use the birch
bancroftboy

Postby bancroftboy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:15 pm

Lieutenant Woodpigeon wrote:
bancroftboy wrote:actually it seems to me what is happening at 6music is exactly what happened at xfm. there just isnt an audience for the more esoteric end of pop music, or if there is its a small one. in the end even the bbc need to have an audience to justify themselves.

Blaxhill ruined xfm and was brought into 6Music to do the same thing. He has also succeeded in deflecting some attention from the woman who has managed to flush two perfectly good stations down the toilet; Lesley Douglas.

when a man is called RIC you know hes a wrongun
bancroftboy

Postby m1573r_g4v » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:28 am

ceecee wrote:would be good to send me to sleep

agreed, it is a nice voice. the music he plays might put me to sleep too.

i see the freak zone is still on air. by far the best show on bbc radio.
m1573r_g4v

Postby Ketchup » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Lettuce Spray wrote:Completely. It is a witch hunt at the Beeb at the moment and it is a total disgrace. They are making fools of themselves, and they will create a culture where staff are terrified of making mistakes, and end up scared of their own shadows. One of the things you learn in management is that staff have got to be able to make mistakes and learn from them. If you start sacking everyone who makes a mistake, you will lose some great staff and also will not be able to then attract the best staff either. And what were the mistakes? Its not that they were caught with their hands in the till or snorting coke in the BBC canteen or anything. All they were doing was making what they thought were the best decisions for the programmes they were working on. Errors of judgement of this kind should result in a warning at the most.

The BBC 6Music producer sacked over a faked phone contest is expected to allege at her appeal that executives higher up the management chain knew about the deception.

Sony Award winner Leona McCambridge, who worked on the Liz Kershaw Show, was sacked on Tuesday after admitting in July that production staff had posed as competition winners on prerecorded programmes.

It emerged yesterday that the BBC 6Music director of programmes, Ric Blaxill, had resigned after two further incidences of listener deception on the digital station were uncovered.

Luke Crawley, assistant general secretary of broadcasting union Bectu, which is representing Ms McCambridge, told MediaGuardian.co.uk that faking competition winners was understood to be common practice on the show.

"My member was of the clear understanding that what she was doing was standard practice on the show and expected of a producer, and the knowledge of this was known further up the chain," Mr Crawley said.

He said that when Ms McCambridge first came forward she did not know it would turn into a disciplinary issue.

"In July when Mark Thompson said he needed to know of any other examples of questionable behaviour in production techniques, she ruminated about it and said I think there was some questionable stuff done last year," he said

"Her reward for this is to be sacked, which is quite amazing. She was not under the impression that owning up would put her in the frame. That was what was implied to her in terms of the process.

"It was only latterly that it became a disciplinary issue. She was to understand it was good she had done this and it would be investigated."

He said the fact that Ms McCambridge had been dismissed would mean other BBC staff would think twice about coming forward about incidents in the future.

"This sends the message that whatever you have done, don't tell a soul because the BBC will punish you," he said.

Anyway, to be fair to Ric Blaxhill he DID put bis on TOTP before they were signed.
Ketchup

Postby Lettuce Spray » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:42 pm

That is actually horrifying... a total disgrace.
Lettuce Spray

Next

Return to General