A spot of forum archaeology

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

A spot of forum archaeology

Postby pomfob » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:46 pm

As it's a bit quiet round these parts, I've been doing a bit of digging through our back pages...and I can't leave this thread from 2008 without asking the question; who the fuck was I Like Rock Music? What did they do to get De Lacey so wound up? As they lived in Leeds, I need closure.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5553&start=45
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Re: A spot of forum archaeology

Postby Blackout » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:27 pm

He was someone who vaguely knew the Noble family (claimed to work with Noble's mum I think), he did like the music but also got off on winding up fans like a really low grade troll, back when trolling was mostly basically OTT comedy insults anyway. Most of us didn't take him especially seriously, but I think DeL did (once).
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby avocetboy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:22 am

Happy days!!

This was a good one and even more relevant now

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12175&hilit=moon+landings

........and, I still struggle to get my head round it. I just cannot accept it. I try, I've watched a lot of the recent TV on the subject, but......
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Postby Blackout » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:20 pm

I would say I'd forgotten that, but I hadn't. But the great thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not! If you're still not convinced by the science however consider the simple practcality: would it actually be possible to keep 100% of that many people quiet and complicit and all have "the story straight" for half a century? The laws of probability and indeed group psychology would say definitely not. (A point made by others on the thread at the time). Especially given that with the age of the Apollo participants there have been a whole lot more opportunities for deathbed confessions in the seven years snce the original thread.

But I guess probability and psychology are also sciences, and since 23rd June 2016 I've had my eyes opened massively to just how (putting it as politely as I can) unreceptive to scientific / intelligent argument and evidence most people actually are when it goes against their "feeling". This would be absolutely fine if it just meant there were still some people who didn't believe in the moon landings, and I look back with nostalgia to the days when such exchanges were about as stressed out as I ever got reading the internet.

"Skittles" was an absolute prick though. Again, in the context of the time. Would barely register on the average troll-ometer these days.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby pomfob » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:46 am

It's worth noting that a lot of conspiracy theories originate in Russia - especially if it sows discord among the perceived rivals of Russia. Of course that sounds like a conspiracy theory. You've got to hand it to them, they're good...it's not a Soviet thing either, it goes back to Ivan the Terrible and the Okrana. It's relatively cheap and clearly effective.

The USSR's space programme stumbled badly as the 60s progressed, so the stories about the moon landings being faked began to circulate. There's no particularly strong theories to support that, just the assumption that it'd be too hard. I can understand why some folk find it difficult to believe when you look around you now, but as mentioned above, the idea of getting 300,000 + people involved to keep silent is even more fanciful.

I suspect a lot of the narrative about the heroic astronauts has been carefully managed, but the overall story is a true one.

Weird how threads on here can take a fairly startlingly turn, isn't it?
pomfob

Postby avocetboy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:35 pm

I can still feel the smirks and muffled laughter, "There's that bloke who does not belief in the moon landings!!"

Seriously, though, I think you've hit the point about how people will not change their views, no matter what the evidence, if they have a specific point of view. However, one point I do make is that back in the 60's, TV was new and exciting, and if it was on the TV news then I doubt anyone ever questioned the validity of what they were being told. Nowadays, regardless of what you see or hear in the news or read in newspapers / online there is always a degree of skepticism as to what is real and what is fake, or which side of the story is the truth.

However, I did watch the BBC program presented by Brian "things can only get better" Cox. Its hard to disbelieve when you hear such passion..But..!!!! (How the hell did they relaunch back of the surface of the moon and re-engage with a rocket spinning at thousands of miles an hour)
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Postby TheAlex » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:13 pm

An ex-work colleague who would've been a child in 1969 doesn't believe the moon landings were real. It's quite bizarre as she loves space, regularly seeks out darker skies and has a telescope for looking at space.
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:40 pm

I hate reading my posts from this era. Not that my views have necessarily changed, more that I think I sounded like an arrogant arse a lot of the time.
Rake

Postby pomfob » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:40 am

Rake wrote:I hate reading my posts from this era. Not that my views have necessarily changed, more that I think I sounded like an arrogant arse a lot of the time.

...or an entertaining provocateur...? Different perspectives, I suppose.

As I didn't start posting here till late 2008, I've still not come across any of my early content yet. I imagine it was drivel. Even more so than now, OF COURSE.
pomfob

Postby Bastian » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Blackout wrote:He was someone who vaguely knew the Noble family (claimed to work with Noble's mum I think), he did like the music but also got off on winding up fans like a really low grade troll, back when trolling was mostly basically OTT comedy insults anyway. Most of us didn't take him especially seriously, but I think DeL did (once).

The good old days before they started running countries.
Bastian

Postby Rake » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:34 am

pomfob wrote:
Rake wrote:I hate reading my posts from this era. Not that my views have necessarily changed, more that I think I sounded like an arrogant arse a lot of the time.

...or an entertaining provocateur...? Different perspectives, I suppose.

As I didn't start posting here till late 2008, I've still not come across any of my early content yet. I imagine it was drivel. Even more so than now, OF COURSE.

Thanks, that is a slightly improved spin :)

On forums, as anywhere else, the past is a foreign country.
Rake

Return to General