All New What Are You Reading Now Thread

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: All New What Are You Reading Now Thread

Postby rover » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Having been lucky enough to see her at the Edinburgh Book Festival, I've just finished Viv Albertine's fab memoir 'Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys'.
Just embarking on Iain M. Banks 'Excession' (Having read a lot of Banks' non sci-fi, I've decided to work my way through all the Culture series.
The Law of Inverse Relevance: the less you intend doing about something the more you have to keep talking about it.
rover

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:19 pm

never read the Kulture, though have read most (a few) of the non scifi
I find him very hit and miss, but the gooduns I have really enjoyed
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby Shadowplayer » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:25 pm

only read the wasp factory and the bridge by banks, both excellent i thought.

Recent reads: - finished the go between - sublimely good
"the festival" - hp lovecraft (from the shadow over insmouth)
"the waiting room" - robert aickman (from dark entries)
the magus - john fowles
halfway through if on a winter's night a traveller - italo calvino - very very good so far
" And then the strangest feeling drifted over me,
Oh we'll begin where you give in now, baby dear"
Shadowplayer

Postby SPT » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:12 pm

NicholasVanWotsisface wrote:never read the Kulture, though have read most (a few) of the non scifi
I find him very hit and miss, but the gooduns I have really enjoyed

Yep on the non sci-fi being hit and miss - there's a couple I've never finished, But I do like the Culture novels a lot.
You can always outrun a golfer

http://www.soundsxp.com
Always changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/
SPT

Postby pomfob » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:40 pm

Not long finished Geek Love by Katherine Dunne. It's quite wonderful, deeply warped and quite gross at times - and attempting to describe it doesn't make it seem any less gut-turning; if it's about anything, it's about how messed up families can be, and how you can love them but still want to kill them. Oh, and carnival freaks. Lots of them.

Currently on the Collected Short Stories Of Saki, which are very, very sharp. Oscar Wilde cubed, if you will.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:26 am

The Wallcreeper by Nell Zink
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby Lammy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:25 pm

I picked up a copy of A Month in the Country after seeing it mentioned here a few times. Very pleased I did. Thank you to the various people who mentioned it. Not sure how it passed me by until now.

In the spirit of the thread, I am currently reading The Book of Margery Kempe. It's a bit god heavy for my usual tastes, but I'm a bit in love with Margery. She has some sexy visions of Jesus.
Lammy

Postby kate o » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:43 pm

Lammy wrote:I picked up a copy of A Month in the Country after seeing it mentioned here a few times. Very pleased I did. Thank you to the various people who mentioned it. Not sure how it passed me by until now.

The most beautiful book ever written.

Read 'New Finnish Grammar' eventually, NVW, and bloody loved it. Currently rereading Regeneration 12 years after studying it for my A Levels. Which means I joined the forum 10 years ago. My god.
kate o

Postby Wicker Man » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:18 am

kate o wrote:
Lammy wrote:I picked up a copy of A Month in the Country after seeing it mentioned here a few times. Very pleased I did. Thank you to the various people who mentioned it. Not sure how it passed me by until now.

The most beautiful book ever written.

I suspect it might be. Time for a re-read, though my copy's fallen to bits.
Wicker Man

Postby SPT » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Kristin Hersh's Don't Suck, Don't Die is brilliant. I know v little about Vic Chessnut but you don't need to. Like her first book it's a memoir that has v little in common with other memoirs. Manages to combine massive openness and bad things with being warm and funny. And straightforwardness with a more lyrical approach.

Also enjoying Jamie Manners' 7 Noses of Soho, a modern version of one of those idiosyncratic guide books full of interesting small details about London married to offhand observations and opinions.
You can always outrun a golfer

http://www.soundsxp.com
Always changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/
SPT

Postby Skinku » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:17 pm

Sad he killed himself, really good when I saw him.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby Wicker Man » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:59 am

Yes, I was (and am) a big fan of Vic and an even bigger fan of Kristin - not sure I'm ready to read that book yet, though. I was still mucking about on Twitter in 2009, where Kristin was one of the funniest and wisest 140-character warriors, but some of her Tweets following his death were heart-gougingly raw.
Wicker Man

Postby wfqfd » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:49 am

I finished it lastweek and premium Samsung J5 cover I still think it is a pretty good art! Certainly Xperia z5 cover the most graphic thing I've read.
wfqfd

Postby pomfob » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:54 am

Oh good, spammers are back.

Currently reading the recently re-actived Ablaze! fanzine. A weighty piece of work, interviews with Sleaford Mods, Katie Harkin, Laetia Sadier and much, much more. It took about 30 seconds for me to remember why I sometimes found the original zine a bit hard going back in the 90s. The articles are often more about the author than the supposed subject. Still, I'm glad it's back, faults and all.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Heartland » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:31 pm

pomfob wrote:Oh good, spammers are back.

Currently reading the recently re-actived Ablaze! fanzine. A weighty piece of work, interviews with Sleaford Mods, Katie Harkin, Laetia Sadier and much, much more. It took about 30 seconds for me to remember why I sometimes found the original zine a bit hard going back in the 90s. The articles are often more about the author than the supposed subject. Still, I'm glad it's back, faults and all.

That's all very 1980s. It was a short lived phenomenon even then. James Brown's Attack on Bzag was probably the best example.
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

PreviousNext

Return to General