Outdoor Adventures

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Outdoor Adventures

Postby TheAlex » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:05 pm

Don_Gorgon wrote:I'm coming over the UK next week for vacation and plan on doing some walking on the South Downs and Norfolk Coast Path, ultimately ending up at the Cromer show. I have good outdoors experience but I really can't tell what kind of footwear I'll need for these trails. Is the ground mostly packed and hard? Seems like I could get away with a pair of running shoes from the pictures I've seen. Any advice would be appreciated. I'll make sure to post the pics of the sights you all have probably grown bored of when I get back.

Some trails will be fine, other places are quite muddy after rain and can be swamp-like after heavy rain. Have fun!
TheAlex

Postby Gorgeous Undertow » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:44 am

Looks like I've missed some great shots whilst I've been away. I am once again hopelessly behind on my photo processing myself!
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean." - John Muir

http://popgirlzarts.com
Gorgeous Undertow

Postby dino » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:51 pm

TheAlex wrote:Awesome! I love old stuff like this. Thanks for the info too, 30 years...I wonder if it'll be there much longer. Where abouts was it on the road? Wikipedia says "Llanerch-y-Mor, near Mostyn", but they're quite far apart and I can't see it on Google Maps. Either way it looks like it's a maximum of two hours drive away, I think I'll have a trip out.

It may well be there for a while....its set in concrete so pretty tough/expensive to shift it.
I think your right in saying its at Llanerch-y-Mor but just head for Mostyn and its about 3 mins further on...you cant miss it !! lol
dino

Postby blir » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Went back to Yosemite a little while ago. Instead of the usual wide angle shots, I limited myself to a big telephoto lens for a different view of the place. First two music choices here are always View From A Hill and True Adventures.

Vernal Falls

Nevada Falls

Arches Face

North Basket Domes

Mt Broderik Shadows

Bunnell Face

Half Dome and Cloud's Rest

Merced River Valley
"Has anyone tried to insert a finger into any of their anuses?" - Rake
blir

Postby nora dindian » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:52 pm

incredible!
nora dindian

Postby TheAlex » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:34 pm

Nice! I don't remember seeing those North Basket Domes before. I'm hoping to camp at Yosemite and Yellowstone in the near future...

dino wrote:It may well be there for a while....its set in concrete so pretty tough/expensive to shift it.
I think your right in saying its at Llanerch-y-Mor but just head for Mostyn and its about 3 mins further on...you cant miss it !! lol

That's great, thanks! I'm thinking about a camping trip to North Wales in October or November, so if I do I'll make sure I pass by.
TheAlex

Postby TheAlex » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:13 am

I went on a great walk in Wales in November, from Llanrwst around an eastern part of Snowdonia. Here's The Grey Mare's Tail Waterfall:

I also stopped off at that ship on the way, so thanks for making me aware of it dino. :D
TheAlex

Postby Heartland » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Is that Robbie Savage? You know, returning to his native land like.
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Postby TheAlex » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Here's the reason I missed another 2 Man of Aran performances - I was outdoor adventuring in Georgia. This was a half-day walk from Stepantsminda to Gergeti Trinity Church and the Sabertse Pass, just a few miles south of the Russian border:

Silhouette of the church in the morning, backed by Mount Kazbek:

What a fantastic country. I have a website now so here are some more photos of the church and its surroundings for anyone interested: http://www.lensbeyond.com/photos/georgi ... ity-church

Which reminds me...
Gorgeous Undertow wrote:Your haunting photos of Copsa Mica made me look for more information on the town, shocking what a couple of factories and terrible environmental and humanitarian policies can do. If anyone else is curious, this was the most succinct write-up I found on the topic: http://www.fragilecologies.com/july22_05.html

I've written a far-from-succinct 3000 words about the place, including an interview about plans to turn the place into a green town: http://www.lensbeyond.com/photos/romani ... own-europe
Last edited by TheAlex on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheAlex

Postby Airbrushed From History » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:55 pm

I'm doing the coast to coast walk in April. I may even do a blog.
British Sea Power Forum Official Celebrity Short Description Mid Winter Word Search Competition Winner 2007.
Airbrushed From History

Postby Thing2 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:31 pm

Are you walking across Sheppey?
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Thing2

Postby Hebrides Zimbo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Following on from a post on LTDITP thread...
Canna, spent a glorious week there back in 2000. Never made it back yet. Stunning little island. Did go to work in Rhum a few years ago, but not quite the same. In fact it was a big disappointed in comparison.
Set sail on those turquoise days
Hebrides Zimbo

Postby TheAlex » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Hebrides Zimbo wrote:Following on from a post on LTDITP thread...
Canna, spent a glorious week there back in 2000. Never made it back yet. Stunning little island. Did go to work in Rhum a few years ago, but not quite the same. In fact it was a big disappointed in comparison.

Did you go inside Canna House (I think that's what it was called)? I was only on Canna for a day, and it was closed. My visit coincided with a new school teacher arriving on the island, which seemed very exciting.

Rum is one of my favourites. I walked from Kinloch Castle (fascinating interior) to Didibil Bothy over the Cuillin - stayed overnight, and walked back along the coast. I will return one day.

All of the Hebrides are brilliant really, but my other favourites are South & North Uist (amazing beaches), Harris & Lewis and Skye. Of the big ones, I'm yet to visit Islay and Jura (the latter being the one that first piqued by interest in the Hebrides as a teenager).
TheAlex

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:39 pm

TheAlex wrote:

Did you go inside Canna House (I think that's what it was called)? I was only on Canna for a day, and it was closed. My visit coincided with a new school teacher arriving on the island, which seemed very exciting.

Rum is one of my favourites. I walked from Kinloch Castle (fascinating interior) to Didibil Bothy over the Cuillin - stayed overnight, and walked back along the coast. I will return one day.

All of the Hebrides are brilliant really, but my other favourites are South & North Uist (amazing beaches), Harris & Lewis and Skye. Of the big ones, I'm yet to visit Islay and Jura (the latter being the one that first piqued by interest in the Hebrides as a teenager).

Hoping to 'nip' over to Jura during our Islay visit. Looks brilliant.
Harris is an amazing place. The beaches.. Possibly my favourite, but it's hard to choose.
Mull is another bobby dazzler. It kind of has it all. Managed to spot an otter while we were there last year! Golden Eagles, Sea Eagles, Bottlenose Dolphins, Atlantic seals. We took a boat out to Staffa and Lunga. Walking into fingals cave was pretty unforgettable. As were the comical puffins on Lunga. You could sit just a few feet away from them, they aren't particularly bothered by people.
Iona is a lovely little island too. The view back to Mull from Iona is one of the finest in Scotland imo. Incredible.

I don't think i'll ever tire of going to these places, and i've still plenty left to visit. It really feels a world away up there.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Hebrides Zimbo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:28 pm

TheAlex wrote:

I was on in the grounds of Canna house. The lady (Margaret Fay Shaw) was away the time. I was working at the small power station beside the farm house. Was a glorious week of July weather.
Was working at the new Rhum hostel in 2014. Walked from Kinloch to Harris on the west side twice. It was amazing over there . The mausoleum looked so out of place, but so at home too. Got the heebie jeebie stuff outside the castle though. Wouldn't set foot in there !
Set sail on those turquoise days
Hebrides Zimbo

PreviousNext

Return to General