Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby Heartland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:24 am

rover wrote:
Blackout wrote:
I have no idea why anyone else doesn't like "Canvey Island", in my case I just find it really fucking boring and ploddy, though should they ever return to playing sets of over 90 minutes I'd welcome its reinstatement exactly half way down.

For a piss-break, presumably?[/quote]

That was always Lately for me.

As a latecomer to BSP, it's wonderful to read the views of some old timers on here, but I'll always struggle with the idea that DYLRM and OS are inferior.
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:49 am

Heartland wrote:
rover wrote:
Blackout wrote:
I have no idea why anyone else doesn't like "Canvey Island", in my case I just find it really fucking boring and ploddy, though should they ever return to playing sets of over 90 minutes I'd welcome its reinstatement exactly half way down.

For a piss-break, presumably?[/quote]

That was always Lately for me.

As a latecomer to BSP, it's wonderful to read the views of some old timers on here, but I'll always struggle with the idea that DYLRM and OS are inferior.

You use Lately as a piss break??

That goes to highlight just how utterly different peoples tastes can be I suppose, even within this fairly narrow framework.
To me thats like walking out as McCulloch sings "All at sea again.." Unthinkable.

But as one much missed forumite might say "Difference creates the possibility of a greater understanding of what it is to be human"

It was something like that, anyway.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Rake » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:18 am

I was thinking much the same.

Was that Northern Pete?
Rake

Postby Wicker Man » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:25 am

Perhaps Heartland just has a particularly roomy bladder? You could potentially do a wee and a poo during 'Lately' and have time left over for a tactical spew. Perhaps even give birth, if you were feeling particularly relaxed and circumstances demanded.
Wicker Man

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:33 am

Rake wrote:Was that Northern Pete?

captain.riot
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Rake » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:36 am

Ah, though it was one of those two. Good quote that.
Rake

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:42 am

Wicker Man wrote:a wee and a poo...a tactical spew...Perhaps even give birth

Trumpton.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Wicker Man » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:45 am

Rake wrote:I was thinking much the same.

Was that Northern Pete?

Very droll.
Wicker Man

Postby Rake » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:53 am

Wicker Man wrote:

Was that Northern Pete?

Very droll.

:o)

I wonder if he still thinks I'm a shit pie.
Rake

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Rake wrote:
Wicker Man wrote:

Was that Northern Pete?

Very droll.

:o)

I wonder if he still thinks I'm a shit pie.

Sorry, didnt pick up on that! v tired this morning, not on the ball really.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Cold Ethyl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Rake wrote:Interesting stuff. Very hard to retrospectively judge albums by your favourite bands when you haven't got them in chronological order. I came to the REM party late, buying Life's Rich Pageant when it first came out and Murmur at the same time, having only heard Radio Free Europe and Don't Go Back To Rockville previously, which had got me interested. I played LRP first when I got home and was absolutely blown away, never forget the feeling listening to the opening riffs of Begin The Begin. When I played Murmur straight after I was somewhat underwhelmed at first, and it was only later that I completely fell in love with that album, and then bought Reckoning and Fables of the Reconstruction of the Fables. I've spoken to a lot of REM fans who were there from the beginning who were really disappointed with LRP, and have also read that the band struggled putting it together, rehashing old early set songs and tour jams. But to me it will always be special as it was the album that got me hooked.

Strangely I had been thinking along these lines whilst pondering my responses to this thread. I had a very similar experience with discovering The Moody Blues =, coming to the band via hearing Nights in White Satin on Jimmy Savile's Sunday morning radio one show when I was 13. I used to buy whatever back catalogue album Virgin or Windows had in stock so my exposure was all over the place and many years after the album's release date. Still, I would argue that there was a palpable sense of excitement and expectation every time I unwrapped the plastic and stuck the vinyl on my parents' shitty stereo. Some albums exceeded my expectations and others fell far short and I probably felt more let down by some of the older stuff than by the albums that came out post 79, when they started recording again. I guess what I am trying to say is that the onus of delivering is actually on the band, not on me lowering my expectations. No one can come to any album as a tabula rasa, so of course what we've thought/heard before will have some impact but that doesn't stop anyone from making a value judgement on what is presented to them album by album. DYLRM didn't fail to meet my expectations because I couldn't look beyond Decline but because the lyrics left me cold and the whole album felt it had no soul. That's not to say, that I can't understand how it might be great to someone coming at the band amidst whatever other dross was circulating then. Nor have I closed the door on the band .. some of the tracks on MOJ I really enjoy and A light above descending, the most obviously old school track, is probably in my top ten BSP tracks.
"Even if I saw these names grouped together completely out of context away from here... lets say a set of albums sitting together in a charity shop - I would immediately think of you and no other!"

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby Skinku » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:47 pm

That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby Cold Ethyl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:01 pm

Skinku wrote:Image

You been on the curries again?
"Even if I saw these names grouped together completely out of context away from here... lets say a set of albums sitting together in a charity shop - I would immediately think of you and no other!"

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby redc » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:51 pm

Cold Ethyl wrote:
Skinku wrote:Image

You been on the curries again?

I think you'll find it was the spicy ketchup on his German sausages.
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby Rake » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Cold Ethyl wrote:
Rake wrote:DYLRM didn't fail to meet my expectations because I couldn't look beyond Decline but because the lyrics left me cold and the whole album felt it had no soul. That's not to say, that I can't understand how it might be great to someone coming at the band amidst whatever other dross was circulating then.

Agree with that entirely.
Rake

PreviousNext

Return to General