Outdoor Adventures

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Outdoor Adventures

Postby Airbrushed From History » Sun May 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Hot tarn action!

My legs are rather sunburnt. :(
British Sea Power Forum Official Celebrity Short Description Mid Winter Word Search Competition Winner 2007.
Airbrushed From History

Postby TheAlex » Mon May 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Nice! Where is this tarn?
TheAlex

Postby Airbrushed From History » Mon May 28, 2012 8:34 pm

The first two are Low Water and Goat's Water which are either side of the Old Man Of Coniston. The last is Blea Tarn in Langdale.
British Sea Power Forum Official Celebrity Short Description Mid Winter Word Search Competition Winner 2007.
Airbrushed From History

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue May 29, 2012 4:48 pm

I cant see the pics due to the filter here at worky-work, but i'm imagining a nice tarn in the sunshine.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby avocetboy » Thu May 31, 2012 12:55 pm

A few snaps from recent trip to Assynt, North West Scotland

Stac Pollaidh in Coigach from between Beinn Eoinn and the cliffs of Sgurr an Fhidhleir
Ben More Coigach Ridge
Suilven
Ardvreck Castle with Quinag in the background
Mountain Rescue from the summit of Stac Pollaidh
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Thu May 31, 2012 2:51 pm

Cant see those pics either, but I can imagine cos ive visited that area a couple of times.
Very lovely part of the world, and no mistake.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Airbrushed From History » Thu May 31, 2012 3:56 pm

Wendelin of Trier wrote:Cant see those pics either, but I can imagine cos ive visited that area a couple of times.

Do you spend all your time at work faffing about on the internet? The youth of today ...
Airbrushed From History

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Thu May 31, 2012 10:16 pm

Airbrushed From History wrote:
Wendelin of Trier wrote:Cant see those pics either, but I can imagine cos ive visited that area a couple of times.

Do you spend all your time at work faffing about on the internet? The youth of today ...

Not all of it, no.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby skittles » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:10 pm

I've been at Jetty Park most of this gorgeous Sunday afternoon. Whilst everyone else is bitching about the heat we've got a sea breeze! :) Yay! Anyway, I'm here because one of my daughters went on a cruise that left from here today. It goes to Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman & Cozumel before coming home next Sunday. IMO, it's quite apropos that her boat is named "Freedom of the Seas". :D

The next boat to leave after hers was the Disney Cruise Line boat "Dream" The boat horn played "When You Wish Upon A Star," "Be Our Guest", & It's A Small World". It played a 4th song I knew but can't identify. Edit...I have since realized it was hi ho...why this baffled me is a bit baffling, but ffs, it was a ship horn, it's not like any of them sounded right. Like the 10 lowest notes on an old pipe organ but they were all off-key. Whoever dreamed that idea up was surely taking a "Mickey" (ha!) I bet that horn scared the shit out of every kid on that boat.

Final picture is one of my arm. It really upset my oldest. My mom & I laughed. We nag my oldest constantly about the cat hair on her clothes. The slacker doesn't take a lint roller to her outfits before she goes out. Today, however, she had an opportunity to yell at me. ;) Momma has cancer. Stage 4. Awful. And I'm heartbroken & never smile anymore. Until I noticed her shedding on my arm. Awwwwwwwwww *tears* :) <3

skittles

Postby dino » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:23 am

I was driving to North Wales the other day when the traffic news alert said heavy traffic was building on the A55, i chose to take the old coast road............... then this honed into view,

ship1.jpg
ship1.jpg (34.18 KiB) Viewed 12891 times

ship2.jpg
ship2.jpg (22.33 KiB) Viewed 12891 times

ship3.jpg
ship3.jpg (32.11 KiB) Viewed 12891 times

launched in 1956 and once an elegant passenger ferry and cruise ship, The TSS Duke of Lancaster was retired in 1979 and ending her days docked at Llanerch-y-Mor near Mostyn, North Wales, plans to convert the ship to a 300-room hotel failed and TSS Duke of Lancaster became the short-lived Mostyn “Fun Ship to be used as a static leisure centre and market, but for 30 years it has sat rusting away,
I tried to get closer and to maybe get aboard but the security wouldnt allow.
dino

Postby TheAlex » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:41 pm

dino wrote:I was driving to North Wales the other day when the traffic news alert said heavy traffic was building on the A55, i chose to take the old coast road............... then this honed into view,

ship1.jpg

Awesome! I love old stuff like this. Thanks for the info too, 30 years...I wonder if it'll be there much longer. Where abouts was it on the road? Wikipedia says "Llanerch-y-Mor, near Mostyn", but they're quite far apart and I can't see it on Google Maps. Either way it looks like it's a maximum of two hours drive away, I think I'll have a trip out.
TheAlex

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:45 am

Acc in June
Die "beste Show ever" (c) British Sea Power) beinhaltete fliegende Zwiebeln, einen Plüsch-Pferdekopf, Walzer-tanzende Fans und Musiker, das Besteigen der Boxen, das unabsichtliche Zerstören der Speaker (und einer Gitarre und einem Keyboard).
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby Don_Gorgon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm coming over the UK next week for vacation and plan on doing some walking on the South Downs and Norfolk Coast Path, ultimately ending up at the Cromer show. I have good outdoors experience but I really can't tell what kind of footwear I'll need for these trails. Is the ground mostly packed and hard? Seems like I could get away with a pair of running shoes from the pictures I've seen. Any advice would be appreciated. I'll make sure to post the pics of the sights you all have probably grown bored of when I get back.
Where the ancient oak leaf clusters grew, the deaths head hawk moth flew
Don_Gorgon

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:41 am

Don_Gorgon wrote:I'm coming over the UK next week for vacation and plan on doing some walking on the South Downs and Norfolk Coast Path, ultimately ending up at the Cromer show. I have good outdoors experience but I really can't tell what kind of footwear I'll need for these trails. Is the ground mostly packed and hard? Seems like I could get away with a pair of running shoes from the pictures I've seen. Any advice would be appreciated. I'll make sure to post the pics of the sights you all have probably grown bored of when I get back.

You might get away with running shoes on the South Downs but may encounter some wetter areas in Norfolk.
To be perfectly honest, it could rain heavily at any time here so you may benefit from some light waterproof boots wherever you go a-wandering.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby avocetboy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Don_Gorgon wrote:I'm coming over the UK next week for vacation and plan on doing some walking on the South Downs and Norfolk Coast Path, ultimately ending up at the Cromer show. I have good outdoors experience but I really can't tell what kind of footwear I'll need for these trails. Is the ground mostly packed and hard? Seems like I could get away with a pair of running shoes from the pictures I've seen. Any advice would be appreciated. I'll make sure to post the pics of the sights you all have probably grown bored of when I get back.

Stout pair of trainers should be fine for the Norfolk Coast Path. Make sure you have a Cromer crab and some fish and chips in Wells next to the Sea. If you get a sunny day at Holkham Bay, it is one of the finest beaches around.
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

PreviousNext

Return to General