Brixton pubs?

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Brixton pubs?

Postby Rake » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:21 pm

What are the forum's pub recommendations for Brixton these days?

Ta
Rake

Re: Brixton pubs?

Postby tonight_we_fly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:51 pm

Being a keen purveyor of unhelpful information, I can reveal that The Half Moon in Herne Hill is a nice old Victorian pub, full of authentic-looking features and the snug bar is especially cosy. It also happens to be my local these days. The downside, however, is that it’s a ten minute bus ride from Brixton.

Can’t say I’ve ever found any of the pubs in Brixton to be all that welcoming though I’m afraid, although I’m happy to be corrected.
Rock music: Dulwich Hamlet FC
Not rock music: Meadow Residential, Blake Morgan LLP
tonight_we_fly

Postby Rake » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks twf. Bus ride not a problem as I'm going up for the day to get nicely oiled. What's the Prince Regent like in Herne Hill? It gets good reviews on t'net. And while you're being so helpful - what's the best route to HH from Victoria?

Thanks again!
Rake

Postby kevo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:05 pm

The best pub near the Academy is the Canterbury Arms, imagine most people will be heading there. Also a useful destination post-gig as providing you're in there before 11 you're almost guaranteed a lock-in.
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... ms/Brixton
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Rake » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:12 pm

Cheers kevo
Rake

Postby tonight_we_fly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:32 pm

Easiest route to Herne Hill from Victoria is just to jump on the train - takes nine minutes, as it's only two stops. I think they run every fifteen minutes during the day/early evening. The in-between stop is Brixton, incidentally.

The Prince Regent isn't a bad place per se, it's just a bit of a gastropub these days (with the clientele to match). I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad during the afternoon though.

The Canturbury Arms mentioned above is also a good call for Brixton actually. It's a bit of a locals pub (and can be slightly imtimidating if you go in on the wrong night), but on a gig night you're unlikely to experience any problems. In fact, it's where the monthly How Does It Feel? club night runs, which I'm a big fan of. It's also right opposite the police station, so possibly the one pub in Brixton where you're least likely to get a bottle smashed on your head.
tonight_we_fly

Postby kevo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:45 pm

tonight_we_fly wrote:The Canturbury Arms mentioned above is also a good call for Brixton actually. It's a bit of a locals pub (and can be slightly imtimidating if you go in on the wrong night), but on a gig night you're unlikely to experience any problems. In fact, it's where the monthly How Does It Feel? club night runs, which I'm a big fan of. It's also right opposite the police station, so possibly the one pub in Brixton where you're least likely to get a bottle smashed on your head.

Shouldn't you be on your way to TSDOLE?! :)

Yes, it's absolutely fine on gig nights (in fact, the only time I've been in there!) and the Irish landlord and bar staff are friendly enough.
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby tonight_we_fly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:53 pm

kevo wrote:
Shouldn't you be on your way to TSDOLE?! :)

Ha ha, indeed! I'm catching the 8:05pm train, so leaving in five minutes...
tonight_we_fly

Postby Sarah Nicholls » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:01 am

Canterbury Arms seconded.
Difference creates the opportunity for a better understanding of what it means to be human.
Sarah Nicholls

Postby Blackout » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:34 am

Not for before but after: a couple of people have asked me about Friday night's Warehouse Project gig in Southwark featuring Delphic, this is it:

http://www.thewarehouseproject.com/even ... .php?id=42
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Rake » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:37 am

tonight_we_fly wrote:Easiest route to Herne Hill from Victoria is just to jump on the train - takes nine minutes, as it's only two stops. I think they run every fifteen minutes during the day/early evening. The in-between stop is Brixton, incidentally.

The Prince Regent isn't a bad place per se, it's just a bit of a gastropub these days (with the clientele to match). I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad during the afternoon though.

The Canturbury Arms mentioned above is also a good call for Brixton actually. It's a bit of a locals pub (and can be slightly imtimidating if you go in on the wrong night), but on a gig night you're unlikely to experience any problems. In fact, it's where the monthly How Does It Feel? club night runs, which I'm a big fan of. It's also right opposite the police station, so possibly the one pub in Brixton where you're least likely to get a bottle smashed on your head.

Cheers
Rake

Postby Northern Pete » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:53 pm

This is a decent alternative to The Canterbury "stinky" Arms

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/189899-The- ... rgh-London
Northern Pete

Postby Alfie Noakes » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Is everyone meeting at the Canterbury or how about this for a more pleasant experience.
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/16/1661/Trinity_Arms/Brixton

Also, is anybody after a ticket? PM me. It could be a cheap one.
Alfie Noakes

Postby tonight_we_fly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Alfie Noakes wrote:Is everyone meeting at the Canterbury or how about this for a more pleasant experience.

Funnily enough, I walked past that pub last night on my way to the Tesco on Acre Lane. It looked quiet. Around these parts that's probably a good thing.
tonight_we_fly

Postby Blackout » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Alfie Noakes wrote:Is everyone meeting at the Canterbury or how about this for a more pleasant experience.

Umlikely I'm going to arrive in time to go to the pub first but if I do I'll text you or Boom or someone, if not, see you in there
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Next

Return to Meet ups