Primavera Sound Barcelona (rolling thread since 2009)

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Primavera Sound Barcelona (rolling thread since 2009)

Postby Blackout » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:39 pm

First acts announced.....

My Bloody Valentine to play 2 performances, one in the Auditori and one on an outdoor stage.

http://www.primaverasound.com/index.php ... &idioma=en

I have been to a hell of a lot of festivals over the years and this is the first time in my life I had bought tickets for one before any of the line-up was announced. I couldn't recommend it highly enough to those who love the interesting music of the past, present and future.

For those who are unaware, basically it runs a lot of the same acts as ATP, only with additional bookings of a few more "mainstream alternative" acts touring the festival circuit (last year had BSP, MGMT, Cribs, Rufus Wainwright) and various odd stuff you just wouldn't come across anywhere else (pensioner-aged Swedish post-rock pioneers Träd Gräs och Stenar were one of the best things I saw last year). The three main outdoor stages run roughly 5pm to 5am; there are no "headliners" as such but "headline level" acts tend to play between 11pm and 2am, with brand new, established and reunion acts nicely mixed, and long gaps between the acts on each stage so every band gets a decent sound set-up and you the punter have the chance to see more. There are a couple of smaller stages which host up-and-coming bands from up til about midnight and then go techno / electronica / dance with the emphasis still on live acts. Finally there's the Auditori, an indoor theatre/concert hall where some of the headline-level acts play "normal" gigs which you do have to get a ticket for on the day, but these are either free or 2 euros.

There is none of that horrible overcrowding you get at Leeds/Reading/etc - one of the reasons I do not go to large UK festivals - it's big enough and really relaxed, with an appropriate number and distribution of bars and bogs to cope with the size of crowd (I never waited more than 10 minutes at peak time for either last year, most of the time there was little or no queue). And more to the point, it's on the gloriously sunny Barcelona seafront, about 3-4 miles out of the city centre (but there's decent cheap transport).

You can still get early bird tickets until 14th January (unfortunately the only UK agent is Seetickets)...
Last edited by Blackout on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Re: Primavera 2009

Postby dan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:12 pm

roll on!!

Wilco seem to bee confirmed as well.. gonna be amazing! MBV + Spiritualized is already an impressive one, and Michael Nyman (where else can he play if not in the Auditori?) + Vaselines make another cool set already!

:)
dan

Postby dan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Too quiet here, let's go with new bands

last week confirmations for Pitchfork stage:

Bowerbirds, The Bug, Crystal Antlers, Crystal Stilts (these rock!), The Mae Shi, Plants & Animals, Ponytail, The Tallest Man On Earth, Vivian Girls and Wavves.

band announced today:

A Certain Ratio, Oneida, Art Brut, Deerhunter, Jay Reatard, The Bad Plus
dan

Postby Blackout » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:26 pm

Looking good... a couple of other mates from Manchester are coming now as well, and my Barcelona/Madrid mates have got their tickets too... I'm quite excited about it already!
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby Ketchup » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:15 am

Is it really worthwhile? I fucking hate anywhere with a temperature above 20C.

Is it outside?

I'm tempted, booking another load of Shiteair flights at the moment.
Ketchup

Postby dan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:34 am

err.. I meant Crystal Antlers rock, Crystal Stilts I've only heard a couple and dont really know

anyways, yes it is outside and the area is windy, never suffered the heat. have to say Barcelona is not at its warmest at the end of May so you shouldn't have problems

obviously IT IS worthwhile
dan

Postby Blackout » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:16 am

Ketchup - the sensible scheduling of music from 5pm to 6am means it is always pleasantly warm without ever getting stupidly hot. As for worthwhile, depends what you like - see my first post, if that sounds like your thing it's the best good-bands-per-quid and good-to-dodgy ratio you'll find anywhere.
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby Ketchup » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:35 pm

I'm tempted.

Truck-ing this year, Cath?
Ketchup

Postby dan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:58 pm

Looks like Sonic Boom's in as well (check his myspace blog)

fuck yeah, where else could I hope to see Spectrum...
dan

Postby Blackout » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:15 pm

FUCKING GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-)

I mean, um, thank you Dan.

Ketchup wrote:Truck-ing this year, Cath?

Depends on the line-up. Whilst it was indeed a lovely festival my usual rule of "one from the top or a few from the rest" still applies to all festivals except Primavera...
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby Blackout » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:59 pm

New up to date list of confirmed artists.... :-)

A-Trak, A Certain Ratio, Alela Diane, Andrew Bird, Angelo Spencer, Aphex Twin, Ariel Pink, Art Brut, The Bad Plus, Bat For Lashes, Black Lips, Bloc Party, Bowerbirds, The Bug, Carsick Cars, Crystal Antlers, Crystal Stilts, Cuzo, Chad VanGaalen, Damien Jurado, Dan Deacon Ensemble, Deerhunter, Dj Mehdi, The Drones, Ebony Bones, El-P, Extra Life, The Extraordinaires, Extraperlo, Fucked Up, Gang Gang Dance, Ghostface Killah, Girl Talk, Girls, Jarvis Cocker, Jason Lytle from Grandaddy, Jay Reatard, The Jayhawks, The Jesus Lizard, Joe Crepúsculo y Los Destructores, Joe Henry, John Maus, Karl Blau, Kimya Dawson, Kitty Daisy & Lewis, Lemonade, Lightning Bolt, The Lions Constellation, The Mae Shi, Magik Markers, Magnolia Electric Co., Mahjongg, Marnie Stern, Michael Mayer, Michael Nyman, My Bloody Valentine, The New Year, Oneida, The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, Phoenix, Plants & Animals, Ponytail, Rosvita, The Secret Society, Shearwater, Shellac, Simian Mobile Disco, Skatebård, Sleepy Sun, The Soft Pack, Sonic Youth, Spectrum, Spiritualized, Squarepusher, Sunn O))) performing "The Grimmerobe Demos", The Tallest Man On Earth, Throwing Muses, Uffie, The Vaselines, Veracruz, Vivian Girls, Wavves, Women, Wooden Shjips, Yo La Tengo, Zombie Zombie

Will I finally get to see Wooden Shjips live? Or will something prevent this as it usually does......????
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby dan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:55 pm

yesh!

some more to come, two of which should be 'big' names. Nine Inch Nails possibly? Jane's Addiction? Blur? who knows..

can't wait though :-P
dan

Postby Solero » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:37 pm

Booked flights today for this

Plenty on that line-up I am unfamiliar with... any recommendations?
Solero

Postby Moscow Olympics » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:26 pm

I agreed to go to this last night. Should be a jolly lark.
Moscow Olympics

Postby dan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:40 pm

Neil Young just confirmed

yeeeeahhhh!!
dan

Next

Return to Meet ups