Lewes Con Club Sunday 26 May

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Lewes Con Club Sunday 26 May

Postby Mr Bod » Fri May 24, 2019 9:28 am

As a fair few of the traveling mob are not doing this one, well at least Pomfob ent and he normally does these posts, I shall step in to the void of communication.

Stage times are:

19.30 - doors
20.10 - Ditz @ditzband
21.10 - BSP

The normal Lewes drinking den, well it was last December, is The Snowdrop but it’s a bit out of town on South Street

Others flagged up before as being good of beer ..

The Gardeners Arms, Cliffe High Street.
The John Harvey. Just behind the Gardeners, along the river. The Harveys Brewery pub.
Lansdown Arms. Handily placed a minute from the station.
The Swan. Really lovely old Harveys pub in a nice part of town, at the end of Southover High St.

It’s also sold out so any spares may well find takers if posted here…
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Re: Lewes Con Club Sunday 26 May

Postby TomBowtell » Fri May 24, 2019 3:19 pm

I can’t make it now so have a spare, but not sure how to transfer?
TomBowtell

Postby Mr Bod » Fri May 24, 2019 4:10 pm

I think all of the tickets for the Con Club are via we got tickets, which if true makes it easy ..

Can I transfer my tickets to someone else?

https://wegottickets.freshdesk.com/supp ... eone-else-

We know you're a kind bunch and will often buy tickets for your friends, family, partners or kids so yes, in most cases, you certainly can transfer the tickets to someone else (we call this 'reallocation' and would strongly recommend doing this if you will not be attending the event yourself).
Our reallocation function is designed specifically for cases where you have purchased the tickets for someone else or where you've bought tickets for a group but won't all be arriving together. It can also be used if you are unable to attend an event, allowing you to reallocate your tickets to a friend or relative who can attend in your place.
To reallocate your ticket, log in to your WeGotTickets account here and click on 'my tickets' then 'reallocate'. For most events (except those with Limited or No reallocation) you can reallocate tickets up until midnight on the day before the event (or midnight on Thursday for events between Friday and Sunday).
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby TomBowtell » Fri May 24, 2019 11:12 pm

Thanks

I’ve just looked and the website says it’s too late to transfer

However the booking ref is the ticket

Here are the details, if someone can use it, then great

Booking reference: t05161359123078b1
Named ticket holder: Tom Bowtell

I’m sure it will be fine if you show them this as consent!

Tom
TomBowtell

Postby kevo » Sat May 25, 2019 1:25 pm

Just repeating my post from last time they played there, in case it's useful!

Lewes is a great little historic town and was home to Yan, Hammy and the Secretary during the early years of BSP (Fear of Drowning was inspired by the Lewes floods of 2000). It used to be my manor too (I grew up a few miles away), so here are some tips for anyone coming to the gig.

First of all pubs. These are the best ones imho:

The Snowdrop: Quirky, eccentric pub, slightly out of the centre (head down Cliffe High St and turn right) - but well worth the detour (everywhere is reasonably close in any case). Fun decor, music, and, as Blackout said, does great food.

The Gardeners Arms, Cliffe High Street. Nice little pub and home of the Cliffe Bonfire Society. You usually get a few odd Lewes characters in here!

The John Harvey. Just along the river off Cliffe Hight St. The Harveys Brewery pub.

Lansdown Arms. Handily placed a minute from the station. Maybe a slightly younger, trendier vibe. Interesting decor. Always a pleasant place for a pint before/ after your train.

The Swan. Really lovely old Harveys pub in a nice part of town, at the end of Southover High St. The only pub in Lewes I know of with a beer garden.

Pubs to avoid (though they may have got better since I last visited): the Royal Oak and the Volunteer.

As for ones in the immediate vicinity of the venue, there are four I can think of: the Pelham Arms, the Black Horse, the Brewer's Arms and the Rights of Man. 'Hungry Joe' (Damselfly) elsewhere suggested the Brewers as the best meet up one. Never been in, but trust his judgement. The Rights of Man, another Harveys pub, is a bit bland but might have more space. Never visited the other two. Apart from the Snowdrop, everywhere else is within a 5-10 min walk, so take your pick.

Other things to see/do:

The Castle. Great views from the tower at the top (though you have to pay to get in). At the back of the castle precincts is Castle Lane, a spooky late-night detour which comes out near the Con Club (lots of ghosts in Lewes - partcularly in the little lanes that run down to Friars Walk).

Harveys Brewey and the brewery shop (all BSP fans should pick up a Bob Copper ale!), on Cliffe High Street.

Keere St, off the main High St. A very steep cobbled lane, where some prince or other once drove a horse and carriage for a bet.

This comes out at Southover Grange and Southover High St, Anne of Cleeves House and the ruins of Lewes priory. Turn left and you are back at the station and the Dripping Pan, Lewes FC's scenic ground, haunted by ghost monks. Turn right for the Swan.

If anyone has a bit more time on either the Fri or Sat, I'd recommend a walk along Juggs Road, an ancient track that used to lead to Brighton. It starts at the other end of Southover High St to the station (right next to the Swan), and takes you to Kingston Windmill. Beautiful views of the surrounding Downs. From the windmill you can head down to Kingston village and the Juggs Inn.

In the other direction, you can head up Mount Caburn, an atmospheric neolithic hill fort overlooking the Ouse valley. North west of the town, you can also walk up to the old racecouse to the battle site on Mount Harry.

Finally, a miscellaneous Lewes BSP fact: the vinyl 7" of Carrion was released in a limited edition of 1,264 copies to commemorate the date of the Battle of Lewes (allegedly......)
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby kevo » Sat May 25, 2019 2:05 pm

Never been there, but the Patch Beer Cafe on Market Street also comes highly recommended from some folks who came down for the December gig. There's also the Lewes Arms, bit more tucked away behind the castle, nice old traditional pub.
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Blackout » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:46 pm

kevo wrote:There's also the Lewes Arms, bit more tucked away behind the castle, nice old traditional pub.

I'm still having fucking nightmares about the whole blokes dressed as scarecrows throwing things into a hole in a box thing, proper Wicker Man weird rural ritual vibes there :-)
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Mr Bod » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:16 pm

Looking back at this it was a rather fine gig, them that wished to jump, jumped them which did not did, did not ..but in a one big happy family way.,

I think a few more locals than the December one and a more normal set. (what is a normal BSP set these days anyway?)

Anyhow posting mostly to say sorry for running off right at the end of the set and not saying goodbye to them nice folks who made it. I may be getting a tad paranoid about changing trains at Brighton after a few bad experiences in the past ..

Oh I got attacked by a bear again ,,
Attachments
IMG_0236.jpg
IMG_0236.jpg (13.74 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
Mr Bod

Return to Meet ups