Patterns, Brighton, Friday 12 October

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Patterns, Brighton, Friday 12 October

Postby pomfob » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Shall we? yes we shall.

Let's do that call out for suggestions for pre-gig pubs, offers of lifts, spare beds, cheap digs, spare tickets, all that sort of malarkey.

I'm due to arrive in Brighton at 1700, so I'll pop into the Evening Star near the station before checking in to my digs and then finding you 'orrible lot. What's the best pub near Patterns? Or nearish, at least. Hand In Hand?
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Re: Patterns, Brighton, Friday 12 October

Postby Mr Bod » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:47 pm

Well I have one will need to meet up with you good sir as I think your phone is my ticket ... which means meeting before the gig .. which means beer ...
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby Heartland » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:11 pm

...and hoping Mr P still has a ticket with my name on; happy to meet up, 6pm onwards in any pub in the vicinity.
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Postby Skinku » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:38 am

In advance, anyone know stage times?
This is essential to many things.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby pomfob » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:38 am

As discussed here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13739&start=15 it's supposed to be 1900 - 2200, but there's 3 (Three) supports, so the theory is maybe that's wrong. No indication of a club night after.
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:41 pm

And of course, tickets for both Heartland and Mr Bod sorted and waiting for them.

I'm going to say Hand In Hand for 6ish unless anyone has a better idea. 5 or 10 minutes stroll from the venue, the only closer pub I can think of is a spoons, and I need to be a bit tipsy before I go in those.
pomfob

Postby Skinku » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Anyone have a young child's urine?
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby Blackout » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:37 am

pomfob wrote:the only closer pub I can think of is a spoons, and I need to be a bit tipsy before I go in those.

Or not at all.

I know they're cheap and I know they're convenient and all the other excuses we have used for going in their bland shite pubs over the years when deep down we knew they were putting proper pubs out of business, but if you are in any way opposed to the Brexit clusterfuck then a full boycott is the only decent course of action. No "oh but it's so handy". No "oh but you can get a cheap veggie full breakfast". The latter, along with an alleged recent introduction of halloumi snacks, a very clear strategy for getting people into wethershites who really don't want to be in wethershites. Resist it. I'm just over a year Wether-resistant at this point and I can't say I've missed the shitholes.

Can't fucking wait to see the whole chain and its absolute c-unt of a CEO go tits up when nobody wants to buy their English wine, and even the sort of no-neck cross-of-St-George pondlife that would support the CEO's views on "forriners" gets angry they can't get a Stella any more, and there are no bar staff because they've all re-migrated to nicer countries.

We should be in Brighton by teatime and happy to meet in any other pub, though may do a first call at Sticky Mike's because I am genuinely gutted to have read yesterday that our beloved pre-Haunt haunt is to close at the end of the year. Sticky Mike's closing while there are any wethershites still standing in Brighton is borderline criminal :(
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby pomfob » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:47 am

Blackout wrote:
pomfob wrote:the only closer pub I can think of is a spoons, and I need to be a bit tipsy before I go in those.

Or not at all.

I know they're cheap and I know they're convenient and all the other excuses we have used for going in their bland shite pubs over the years when deep down we knew they were putting proper pubs out of business, but if you are in any way opposed to the Brexit clusterfuck then a full boycott is the only decent course of action. No "oh but it's so handy". No "oh but you can get a cheap veggie full breakfast". The latter, along with an alleged recent introduction of halloumi snacks, a very clear strategy for getting people into wethershites who really don't want to be in wethershites. Resist it. I'm just over a year Wether-resistant at this point and I can't say I've missed the shitholes.

Can't fucking wait to see the whole chain and its absolute c-unt of a CEO go tits up when nobody wants to buy their English wine, and even the sort of no-neck cross-of-St-George pondlife that would support the CEO's views on "forriners" gets angry they can't get a Stella any more, and there are no bar staff because they've all re-migrated to nicer countries.

We should be in Brighton by teatime and happy to meet in any other pub, though may do a first call at Sticky Mike's because I am genuinely gutted to have read yesterday that our beloved pre-Haunt haunt is to close at the end of the year. Sticky Mike's closing while there are any wethershites still standing in Brighton is borderline criminal :(

I too have been avoiding spoons of late because of the Brexitery. Fell off the waggon twice - once at Gatwick airport, but they took so fucking long serving me I walked away and went to the other, equally unappealing bar in the airport.

The other time was before the football a couple of weeks ago in Plymouth. It's the only hostelry anywhere near the ground, so...felt a bit dirty about it.
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:13 pm

And continuing the off-topic 'spoons coverage...solidarity, comrades.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45734662
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:53 pm

whilst it's an absolute fucking disgrace the way these companies treat their employees (I'd boycott them all, except I've been boycotting brexitspoons for a year, McMurderburgers for about 30, never used deliveroo/justeat/uber and wouldn't piss on TGI Fridays if it was on fire) it's beautiful that young people are getting into collective action again. 10-15 years ago at our place we couldn't begin to interest the new graduates / apprentices in joining the union. These days they come to us.

anyway. sticky mikes and/or hand in hand, yes?
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby pomfob » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:03 pm

Blackout wrote: sticky mikes and/or hand in hand, yes?

Sticky Mike's!

http://www.stickymikesfrogbar.pub/contact/

It wins because

1 - It's bigger (HinH is 'kin tiny)
2 - Food - it does pizza.
3 - For most of us, it's the last chance to go :(

Doesn't open till 6 though.
pomfob

Postby gtw » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am

Sticky Mikes at 6 sounds good to me.

I agree re Spoons boycott btw.
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby kevo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Last orders for Sticky Mikes... The St James Tavern is also close and does food. Hand in Hand lovely but very small. Will probably head to East Street Tap (formerly the Fishbowl) at some point too. But Sticky's it is.
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Lucanesque » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:11 am

Good to see others boycotting Spoons too... the only time I've been in since Tim came out as a rabid Brexiteer was sadly for a BSP gig (group consensus and all that).
Lucanesque

Next

Return to Meet ups