Live At Leeds, Leeds (duh), Saturday 5 May

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Live At Leeds, Leeds (duh), Saturday 5 May

Postby pomfob » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Live At Leeds is a multi-venue festival all over the town centre and beyond. Here's a link to the schedule

https://www.liveatleeds.com/artists/#/schedule/byVenue

Tickets are £36, plus booking fee, though there are a few outlets where they're available fee-free - The Brudenell, the O2 box office and the Trinity Centre Customer Services. That's in person, of course. If you're ordering over the net, can I suggest you support Crash Records

http://www.crashrecords.co.uk/product/l ... ty-centre/

(apparently Jumbo aren't selling them via their website).

Suggested serving? Collect your wristband from the Arena as early as possible, then hightail it down to the Wardrobe & join the queue for Idles, who're opening the festivities at noon (facken' ell). Follow that by getting over to the Brudenell on the number 56 bus, and sit it out there till an appropriate time, head up to Beckett's University (The Poly) for BSP. As a precaution (wristbands don't guarantee entry if the venue hits capacity), and because they're also pretty good, get in for Pulled Apart By Horses at 2030, then take your positions for the main event at 2215.

Obviously that's all subject to change :)

Oh, and all the usual stuff about cheap digs, lifts and pubs, naturally.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Re: Live At Leeds, Leeds (duh), Saturday 5 May

Postby Bastian » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks for posting the line-up, although I just went through it with spotify and bloody hell it's grim.

The amount of shite I had to wade through before finding anything half decent. And even then I'd struggle to be bothered leaving a good pub to go and see what I did find. Most of it is so disposable , here today, gone tomorrow rubbish that sounds fairly manufactured. If Simon Cowell launched a ''indie'' label half this shite would on it. Typically a couple of things i would genuinely like to see are on around the same time as BSP. Feck it! Doesn't matter, I'm going for BSP.
Bastian

Postby pomfob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:19 am

Bastian wrote:Thanks for posting the line-up, although I just went through it with spotify and bloody hell it's grim.

The amount of shite I had to wade through before finding anything half decent. And even then I'd struggle to be bothered leaving a good pub to go and see what I did find. Most of it is so disposable , here today, gone tomorrow rubbish that sounds fairly manufactured. If Simon Cowell launched a ''indie'' label half this shite would on it. Typically a couple of things i would genuinely like to see are on around the same time as BSP. Feck it! Doesn't matter, I'm going for BSP.

All of the above. LAL as being going downhill for the last 3 or 4 years, to the point I'd decided not to bother this year. And then you know who come along. Hence my 'go to Brudenell, stay at Brudenell' option - good beer, comfy seats, PIES!, and some bands that may turn out to be interesting (like the German techno outfit fronted by a mutant Britney Spears last year). And Pip Blom. She's ace.
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Pulled Apart By Horses are always excellent live, even if they're not a band I would ever listen to on record. Conveniently on before BSP in same venue. Stand at the side, though. Last time I saw them in that room (LAL 2011) The Twilight Sad were also on that bill, and the following day at SFTOC I spoke to TTS for the first time, their guitarist is not a man of many words but when the PABH moshpit was mentioned he quietly muttered "I thought I was going to die".

You aware of any fringe stuff this year? do they still do that? Milo's in 2014 was ridiculous, I think the last band (Patterns) came off stage about half two in the morning.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby pomfob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:18 am

Blackout wrote:Pulled Apart By Horses are always excellent live, even if they're not a band I would ever listen to on record. Conveniently on before BSP in same venue. Stand at the side, though. Last time I saw them in that room (LAL 2011) The Twilight Sad were also on that bill, and the following day at SFTOC I spoke to TTS for the first time, their guitarist is not a man of many words but when the PABH moshpit was mentioned he quietly muttered "I thought I was going to die".

First time I saw 'em at LAL a year or so earlier, the guitarists spent more time rolling around on stage than actually, y'know, playing guitar. Chaos in a fun way.

Blackout wrote:You aware of any fringe stuff this year? do they still do that? Milo's in 2014 was ridiculous, I think the last band (Patterns) came off stage about half two in the morning.

Not heard anything, I don't think they do gigs at Milo since the refurb. Most venues do appear to be on the official list, or ignoring the whole deal completely. If I see owt, will post here.
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:28 am

Quick update on wristband exchanges - NOT THE SAME AS PREVIOUS YEARS!

You can pick them up on Friday if you're around from 1600 in the Trinity Kitchen or The Wardrobe till 2000 (no good if you're going to Nottingham, grrr)

And from 0900 on Saturday, it's Leeds College of Music, which is right by the Wardrobe. Great, everyone's going to get straight in the queue for Idles, aren't they?
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Blackout wrote:You aware of any fringe stuff this year? do they still do that? Milo's in 2014 was ridiculous, I think the last band (Patterns) came off stage about half two in the morning.

Not heard anything, I don't think they do gigs at Milo since the refurb. Most venues do appear to be on the official list, or ignoring the whole deal completely. If I see owt, will post here.[/quote]

There is at least one Fringe stage, at Santiagos (bottom of Grand Arcade, on Vicar Lane, down from Roots & Fruits). Life and Drahla playing, bands on from noon. Hope it's running late, otherwise those two will be on at the same time as you-know-who.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2112541702294025/

Still, where there's one, there should be others.
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:38 am

ooh I've been wanting to see The Boxing. May have to pop over if times work out, but as you say, no Drahla for us. It will run late because it's a Live At Leeds fringe gig and they always do, but probably not late enough.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby pomfob » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:51 pm

Blackout wrote:ooh I've been wanting to see The Boxing. May have to pop over if times work out, but as you say, no Drahla for us. It will run late because it's a Live At Leeds fringe gig and they always do, but probably not late enough.

We'll see, no stage times, vague or otherwise, yet. Anyway, we can head in that direction after the big event; Even if nowt's on in Santiago, Howl Bar over the road has a very late license and we'll need a post-show drink or two.
pomfob

Return to Meet ups