i like trains

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: i like trains

Postby Rake » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:10 am

Very impressed with Progress too so shall be buying up the rest of their back catalogue very soon. Really sweeping evocative stuff, the arrangements are superb and lyrically I can see where you were coming from too ethyl. Feel a bit of a plumb for leaving it so long before coming to the party now.
Rake

Postby Kattegat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk9Dbx31jSc

Teaser for the new album. Sounds like it will be totally different.
Kattegat

Postby Rake » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:32 am

So what do people think of The Shallows? On first listen tonight I really like it. A bit of a departure.
Rake

Postby Cold Ethyl » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Rake wrote:So what do people think of The Shallows? On first listen tonight I really like it. A bit of a departure.

i like it- not as much as the last one, but that's because i am more a guitar girl than a plinky plinky synth fan... best track is Reykjavik( spelling?)
"Even if I saw these names grouped together completely out of context away from here... lets say a set of albums sitting together in a charity shop - I would immediately think of you and no other!"

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby Rake » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:50 pm

Cold Ethyl wrote:
Rake wrote:So what do people think of The Shallows? On first listen tonight I really like it. A bit of a departure.

i like it- not as much as the last one, but that's because i am more a guitar girl than a plinky plinky synth fan... best track is Reykjavik( spelling?)

I think they've done a great job of going a bit electronica but still keeping the guitars in place and their identitiy intact. Agree Reykjavik is very good but I haven't got a best track just yet. Love the flow of the album, as with the last one, something they excel at.
Rake

Postby pomfob » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:06 pm

It sounds much better really loud - which I suppose is a bit obvious, but really, crank it up.

So far, I think the title track & Water / Sand are the best couple of tunes for me.
Last edited by pomfob on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Rake » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:23 pm

pomfob wrote:It sounds much better really loud - which I suppose is a bit obvious, but really, crank it up.

So far, I think the title track & Water / Sand are the best couple of tunes for me so far.

Only played it nice and loud on my iPod so far but will give it a proper blast through the hi-fi this afternoon. Sorry Jean.
Rake

Postby redc » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:33 pm

pomfob wrote:It sounds much better really loud - which I suppose is a bit obvious, but really, crank it up.

Bugger!

I've listened to the mp3 rather half-heartedly on the computer a couple of times and was really looking forward to hearing it powering through the speakers. Unfortunately my rather dodgy old CD player has taken an instant dislike to the disk and refuses to play it.

Will have to subject the family to in the car tomorrow as we set off for the Chilterns in search of bluebells and Sunday lunch.
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby redc » Tue May 08, 2012 1:45 am

Just back from seeing them play the whole of the Shallows live for the first time, I believe - not in order, mind, and with Voice of Reason thrown in + non-Shallows encore.

Afflicted with a bad dose of bank holiday torpor, I really didn't feel like trudging up to London, but I'm so glad I did as it was pretty amazing. They absolutely nailed it - although I'm not sure my 2 companions fully agreed - the sound was great, especially the drums and probably the most enjoyable of the 14 or so times I've seen them, certainly since I last saw Beeching performed. Made up for not being able to listen to the album through the Hi fi (wish I'd bought the vinyl now).

I doubt this album will see them break through, but if there were any justice it would as I think it's their most listener friendly & consistent . I'm sure it will become their album I listen to the most.
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby kevo » Tue May 08, 2012 8:08 pm

redc wrote:Just back from seeing them play the whole of the Shallows live for the first time, I believe - not in order, mind, and with Voice of Reason thrown in + non-Shallows encore.

Afflicted with a bad dose of bank holiday torpor, I really didn't feel like trudging up to London, but I'm so glad I did as it was pretty amazing. They absolutely nailed it - although I'm not sure my 2 companions fully agreed - the sound was great, especially the drums and probably the most enjoyable of the 14 or so times I've seen them, certainly since I last saw Beeching performed.

Must admit I found it difficult to get into. Not a good sign when your two favourite songs of the evening were the only two 'old' ones they played. I think the album is definitely a 'grower' tho, and would like to see the new songs performed live again in a few months time.
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby pomfob » Wed May 09, 2012 2:33 pm

kevo wrote:Must admit I found it difficult to get into. Not a good sign when your two favourite songs of the evening were the only two 'old' ones they played. I think the album is definitely a 'grower' tho, and would like to see the new songs performed live again in a few months time.

Yeah, the first time I heard The Shallows, I was a bit deflated. They grew on me, and live there's a whole other dimension to them, especially In Tongues - & I thought that was crap the first time I heard it.

Here's hoping for a proper UK tour in October...
Last edited by pomfob on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Eyelevel » Wed May 09, 2012 10:53 pm

I struggle to understand the interest exhibited on this forum in this hideously mediocre band. Have any of you heard Reigns? True genius and disgustingly ignored. More controversially, have BSP written a better song than Gravenhurst's 'The Prize' this year? Let's see how 'Machineries Of Joy. turns out but I think the answer is 'no', much as I love BSP.
Eyelevel

Postby skittles » Thu May 10, 2012 12:01 am

Eyelevel wrote:I struggle to understand the interest exhibited on this forum in this hideously mediocre band. Have any of you heard Reigns? True genius and disgustingly ignored. More controversially, have BSP written a better song than Gravenhurst's 'The Prize' this year? Let's see how 'Machineries Of Joy. turns out but I think the answer is 'no', much as I love BSP.

You are a definite keeper. You should post more often. I've been on a life course of radical change & just don't do "chat" anymore. Sad really because this place needs more color or colour or something. Varying opinion I mean. FYI, my iPhone just tried to auto correct the UK spelling of colour with the word collie. I love & miss you Steve Jobs. You are a real jackass for dying off on us you old bastard. Tell God to send us a new you. But preferably one that doesn't exploit people in poverty stricken Asian countries this time. ASAP. Please. Because I need a new iPhone yesterday & I have ethics now. Kind of. Thanks. Anyway, righteous post Eyelevel. You must be a Christian or an abnormally nice BSP fan. Otherwise you'd have called them shit like I do. Or would've. Once. Baby steps. Okay. Going to pray now. Bye!
skittles

Postby Rake » Thu May 10, 2012 11:00 am

Eyelevel wrote:I struggle to understand the interest exhibited on this forum in this hideously mediocre band. Have any of you heard Reigns? True genius and disgustingly ignored. More controversially, have BSP written a better song than Gravenhurst's 'The Prize' this year? Let's see how 'Machineries Of Joy. turns out but I think the answer is 'no', much as I love BSP.

Don't struggle, just let it all wash over you. I haven't heard Reigns but will check them out on your recommendation. If they prove to be hideously mediocre, or just a bit weird for my liking, I'll just let it all wash over me.
Rake

Postby Rake » Tue May 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Well that just proves that one person's true genius is another's boring dirge, I think Reigns are trying hard but delivered nothing for me. I've quite liked Gravenhurst for a while though, although I'd put a fair part of BSP's output ahead of The Prize, as good a piece of songwriting as it is.
Rake

PreviousNext

Return to Other Music