New Gold Dream

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: New Gold Dream

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:00 am

remember seeing them do Big Sleep in 1989, it was breathtaking. But there again if you hang around for 3 hours through slurry like Ghostdancing to hear one song then, yes it does elevate it.
C'mon Kev, admit the title track for NGD is tremendous
Die "beste Show ever" (c) British Sea Power) beinhaltete fliegende Zwiebeln, einen Plüsch-Pferdekopf, Walzer-tanzende Fans und Musiker, das Besteigen der Boxen, das unabsichtliche Zerstören der Speaker (und einer Gitarre und einem Keyboard).
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby kevo » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:43 pm

I did like the album when it came out - favourtite track is probably Someone Somewhere in Summertime. I just think that NGD marked a big shift - so see at as the beginning of the end for what were my (second) favourite band at the time. I think Gary's made a very good point tho - it will allow them to end the performance with some hits... I am tempted...
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Bastian » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:53 pm

When i was a teenager i was obsessed with checking out 80's bands that were still on the go in the late 90's. Glitterball was the first Simple Minds item i bought.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdPr69fyy18
Still a good enough track.

I got Empires And Dance a few years ago. I wish i had gone to see them live when they came to Kerry last summer. I Travel live would be pretty cool i'd say.

NGD is the best for sure. Perfect new wave album.
Bastian

Postby SPT » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:16 pm

This made me realise that I was a teenager for more than 15% of the 90s. This pleases me. Thank you.
You can always outrun a golfer

http://www.soundsxp.com
Always changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/
SPT

Postby The Secretary » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:58 pm

I reckon New Gold Dream is very good indeed – gauche but kind of gloriously so. A real lovely kind of innocence with the anthemics. Simple Minds at Glasgow Barrowlands in 1982 was one of best concerts I've ever seen.

But my fave SM is Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings.

Bobby Gillespie has been speaking in praise of Real To Real Cacophony recently: "Hard European disco." Can't recall if is Reel or Real? Or Real To Reel, in anticipation of the mighty Mad Stuntman...

Novelist Alan Warner is a bit of Minds fan, partic of bassist Forbes.
The Secretary

Postby The Secretary » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:10 pm

PS Yeah, sort it our Kevo...
The Secretary

Postby Lieutenant Woodpigeon » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:01 pm

The Secretary wrote:I reckon New Gold Dream is very good indeed – gauche but kind of gloriously so. A real lovely kind of innocence with the anthemics. Simple Minds at Glasgow Barrowlands in 1982 was one of best concerts I've ever seen.

How did you ever get to where you are today not knowing that there's no 's' in Barrowland?
Wave to the Wottingers.
Lieutenant Woodpigeon

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:32 am

The Secretary wrote:I reckon New Gold Dream is very good indeed – gauche but kind of gloriously so. A real lovely kind of innocence with the anthemics. Simple Minds at Glasgow Barrowlands in 1982 was one of best concerts I've ever seen.

Bobby Gillespie has been speaking in praise of Real To Real Cacophony recently: "Hard European disco." Can't recall if is Reel or Real? Or Real To Reel, in anticipation of the mighty Mad Stuntman...

Real to Real innit? Says so on my battered copy.
I've got a 2 C90 set of that 82 Glasgow gig, it's tremendous.

Funny how their early work finally gets praise off people like Bobby G, wonder if he's always championed them...
Die "beste Show ever" (c) British Sea Power) beinhaltete fliegende Zwiebeln, einen Plüsch-Pferdekopf, Walzer-tanzende Fans und Musiker, das Besteigen der Boxen, das unabsichtliche Zerstören der Speaker (und einer Gitarre und einem Keyboard).
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby gtw » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Would you go so far as to say that Simple Minds > Queen > The Beatles holds true?
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby burghblue » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:29 pm

On paper this 5x5 thing sounds superb. In reality, I fear, it won't be.

That said, found a recent live effort at This Earth That You Walk Upon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51yFWUMPOaw
and Sons And Fascination:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrhQk1S6Hy0&feature=related

Could have been a lot worse... Although ole Jim's dancing is even less impressive when performed by a 50 year old, slightly thinner Alex Salmond-alike. His singing voice ain't what it was either. Not sure what tune he's trying to carry at times.

Still no sign of Forbes...
You're an absolute shower...
burghblue

Postby The Secretary » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Don't be daft Gary. But Simps > Beatles?
The Secretary

Postby avocetboy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Having just watched burgh blues youtube clips, as much as I would love to hear them, I don't think I really want to see them.
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:25 pm

ditto, But SAF is such a great song isn't it?
they used to do that fast version whcih I think isn't going to get attempted...
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby avocetboy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Lancashire Fusileer wrote:ditto, But SAF is such a great song isn't it?.

It is. I did a bit more browsing and there is some footage of them doing New Gold Dream on The Tube. The contrast between then and now is amazing (although 30 years is a long time!)

What a band,
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Postby Hebrides Zimbo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:14 pm

Been away for a while , and come back to this fine thread . NGD indeed was a classic . SAF is my tree topper though.
Many great early moments , long before the Forbes/ Don't you forget about me fallout .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZs_l9hF8IY
Set sail on those turquoise days
Hebrides Zimbo

PreviousNext

Return to Other Music