New Gold Dream

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: New Gold Dream

Postby mick wright » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:25 am

Annoyingly double-booked with Krankenhaus 3, I went to the Roundhouse last night.

Along with a few here, I also thought very highly of Simple Minds for a while and last night captured this at times. The 'Empires' tracks were brilliant. mostly, including Today I Died, This Fear of Gods and Thirty Frames. 70 Cities and Themes from Great Citiesalso stood out.

But Jim Kerr is still a bit of a tit and it was this tittery that spoiled some tunes for me. Never mind, the tunes still came over strong.
What you need the most,
Is beans on cheese on toast. Today.
mick wright

Postby Gaz Vanhill » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:55 pm

I went to see Simple Minds at Manchester Ritz, Jim Kerr didn't really say much and he didn't come across as titery .

I first saw them back in 83/84 (not sure which year but it was the New Gold Dream tour) and they were a fabulous live band back then but Street Fighting Years on they just got stuck so far up their own arses they were lost in the stadium rock bubble and ended up making pointless epic sounding shite. I did see them on the Real Life Tour (only because OMD were supporting them) and they were trully awful even manageing to murder Love Song to such an extent that is was half way through it before I realised what they were playing.

Roll on 20+ years and they decided to revisit the first 5 albums playing 5 songs off each, so back to a time before it went pear shape and low and behold back were the Simple Minds I know and love. Out were the epic long slogging 10 minute guitar solos and Jim Kerr's blood curdaling screams of 'I wanna see those hands' at just about every song and back was a unit playing some superb Kraftwerkian electro pop with their own Scotish twist. It was just shear unadultarated pleasure and the 26 song two and a half hour set just flew by. Only grumble was the stupidly early start of 7.30 and having to finish at 10 but it was very special.
I'd write and tell you that I've burnt them all.
But you never send me your address and I've.
I've kept them anyway.
Gaz Vanhill

Postby kevo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:12 am

Went to the one in Dublin on Sunday, brilliant. The last time I'd seen them was the New Gold Dream tour - so almost a 30-year gap! Finally got to see 'Chelsea Girl' live an' all...

I agree with Mick that Jim Kerr can come across as a bit of a tit, but it wasn't enough to put me off. And he's less of a tit than a lot of performers I could name...!
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby gtw » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Loved what I saw and heard at The Roundhouse last Friday. We arrived as the band were going off stage after the first half though, so managed to miss some of my all time favourite songs. And then they came off at 10.20pm! Did they need to be in bed early or something?
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby kevo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:26 pm

gtw wrote:Loved what I saw and heard at The Roundhouse last Friday. We arrived as the band were going off stage after the first half though, so managed to miss some of my all time favourite songs. And then they came off at 10.20pm! Did they need to be in bed early or something?

Why did you arrive so late?!

kevo

Postby gtw » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Why did they start so early!
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby kevo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:59 pm

gtw wrote:Why did they start so early!

Well, they said they were playing 25 tracks - and, as you know, some of their early songs are pretty long. I'd reckoned at least 5 mins per track (including gaps in between), so that's already over two hours. Then if you have an encore - it was pretty obvious you would be looking at a performance getting on for two and a half hours. Even if it had finished at 11, it would still have had to start at 8.30. The ticket I had also stipulated 'no support' which is always an indication that it's going to be an early start.

They came on at about 8.15 in Dublin, I was still in the bar, but had made sure I was in the venue by 7.30! The floor was already absolutely packed when they came on, so seemed to be common knowledge that it was an early one.

kevo

Postby Nurdled, by Astley » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:08 pm

The whole idea really tempted me as I have only heard the early stuff on bootlegs and on some songs, esp onb Real to Reel, they only come alive out of a studio, but Manchester was sold out when I checked, so nevermind. I understand there is a recording of Dublin though.
Nearly drowned on a learn to swim course.
Nurdled, by Astley

Postby Anticitizen1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:47 pm

They've just announced that they are releasing a live double cd from the tour - out 19/11. And no, I don't work for EMI.

CD1:
1.Intro
2.I Travel
3.Thirty Frames A Second
4.Today I Died Again
5.Celebrate
6.Life In A Day
7.Calling Your Name
8.Scar
9.King Is White And In The Crowd
10.Hunter And The Hunted
11.Wasteland
12.Love Song
13.This Fear Of Gods
14.Pleasantly Disturbed
15.Room

CD2:
1.The American
2.70 Cities As Love Brings The Fall
3.In Trance As Mission
4.Sons And Fascination
5.Sweat In Bullet
6.Changeling
7.Factory
8.Big Sleep
9.Premonition
10.Promised You A Miracle
11.Someone Somewhere In Summertime
12.Theme For Great Cities
13.Glittering Prize
14.Someone
15.Chelsea Girl
16.New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)
Anticitizen1

Postby Nurdled, by Astley » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:09 am

I knew there was a Simple Minds thread somewhere here....

Anyone else know about Derek Forbes doing a record of his version of early Simple Minds songs? It came out last year and it's not bad: some are fairly straight versions, not dissimilar to the original songs, but others.... well... a piano led-American? Banjo and slide guitar on 'King is White'..? And they work!

Details here - https://www.derekforbesmusic.com/; even if the thought of the CD doesn't tempt you, I'd recommend reading his Song Diary, some interesting details about the original versions there.
Nearly drowned on a learn to swim course.
Nurdled, by Astley

Previous

Return to Other Music