Black Country, New Road

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Black Country, New Road

Postby Kattegat » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:50 pm

This band released it's debutalbum For The First Time last year and now have Ants From Up There out. It does have that Sea Power/Arcade Fire-grandeur, but the music is very lovely. The band consists of 7 members (although the frontman decided to leave due to mental health issues). The music blends a lot of instruments including violin and saxphone. I do think there are similarities and a potential for SP-fans to like the new album.

Anyone heard it? Thoughts?
Kattegat

Re: Black Country, New Road

Postby pomfob » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:28 am

I saw them back in 2019. There'd been a lot of hype around them, so I was prepared not to be impressed. They turned out to be excellent, very intense and enveloping. For the half hour or so, you were in their world. I guess that's pretty hard to sustain & may well have contributed to Isaac having to step back.

Oddly, I thought the first LP was a let down. All but the first & last tracks felt quite flat to me, not capturing that live energy at all. I'll give the new one a listen though.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Re: Black Country, New Road

Postby O Larsen Beret » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:05 pm

I don't get the big deal with the first album. It's okay. I haven't listened to the second album yet.

O Larsen Beret

Return to Other Music