DAMSELFLY

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: An Awkward Bow

Postby TheAlex » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:33 pm

It arrived yesterday and I thought it'd be nice to picture it with some other names of the genre that have similar packaging and artwork. A quick snap from my phone:

IMG_20180210_110500422.jpg
IMG_20180210_110500422.jpg (212.16 KiB) Viewed 9480 times

I like the poem inside. As I haven't compared the music to anyone this time, it made me think of Matt Kidd and his poem of song titles: http://auralmethod.com/album/when-i-dri ... int-melody

His second album was a Haiku, and the poetry stopped when he changed name to Slow Meadow.
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:29 pm

TheAlex wrote:It arrived yesterday and I thought it'd be nice to picture it with some other names of the genre that have similar packaging and artwork. A quick snap from my phone:

IMG_20180210_110500422.jpg

I like the poem inside. As I haven't compared the music to anyone this time, it made me think of Matt Kidd and his poem of song titles: http://auralmethod.com/album/when-i-dri ... int-melody

His second album was a Haiku, and the poetry stopped when he changed name to Slow Meadow.

In some fine company there, she'll be happy with that :)

Cheers, it's a part of a full poem I did for The Girl With A River's Name, thought that bit fitted the mood of the album nicely. Will give Aural Method a listen.

Just working on a no-drums remix of Sub Rosa, liking it so far.
Rake

Postby Blackout » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:27 pm

.....when you get home from an excellent weekend away and there's a CD shaped jiffy bag from Sussex and you haven't time to open it cos you have to go to work immediately.... yep, I'm building the excitement here :)
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Rake » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Blackout wrote:.....when you get home from an excellent weekend away and there's a CD shaped jiffy bag from Sussex and you haven't time to open it cos you have to go to work immediately.... yep, I'm building the excitement here :)

Haha, I hope it lives up to it!
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:19 pm

Rake wrote:
In some fine company there, she'll be happy with that :)

Cheers, it's a part of a full poem I did for The Girl With A River's Name, thought that bit fitted the mood of the album nicely. Will give Aural Method a listen.

Just working on a no-drums remix of Sub Rosa, liking it so far.

Cool, I wouldn't mind reading that if it's around somewhere. I'd settle for the Sub Rosa remix instead though. :D
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:45 pm

TheAlex wrote:Cool, I wouldn't mind reading that if it's around somewhere. I'd settle for the Sub Rosa remix instead though. :D

I’ll let you know when it’s finished and you can have a sneak preview
Rake

Postby Rake » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:00 pm

TheAlex wrote:
I'd settle for the Sub Rosa remix instead though. :D

For Alex and those others who are interested in this sort of thing, final track listing for 'Beneath the Rose' mini-album complete and now working on final mixes / masters:

1. Windfucker
2. Come Fallow Lands, Come Fallen Leaf
3. Let It Flood (Dirt of 7 Continents mix)
4. Mermaid Cafe' Crow Blues
5. Sub Rosa (Sussex Winter mix)
6. Fin de la Melodia (Pvt.Townsend's Final Rest mix)
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:49 pm

You're too slow!

Seriously though, I'm sure I remember reading you'd be taking a break after the second album.
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:57 am

TheAlex wrote:You're too slow!

Seriously though, I'm sure I remember reading you'd be taking a break after the second album.

Haha, make hay whilst the sun shines and all that.

That was the plan, yes, but since then I've managed to wangle going part-time on the day job to allow me more time on the music and other creative stuff. I had a bit of a burn-out after Christmas which made me reevaluate a lot of things and this seemed the best way forward to try and keep some feeling of fulfillment and balance.
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Cracking that you've made that decision - you may remember I was doing something similar (but had no job at all). I now am again - after only two weeks working two part-time jobs I've cut the hours of one of them as I felt ready to burn out myself. My replacement at my old job has done something similar, so I've replaced my replacement, albeit on a part-time basis.
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:30 am

I do remember you saying, yes. Glad that you've managed to work something out too. I know it sounds a classic First World problem, but it really isn't easy to find the balance between getting the time for this stuff and enough money to have a relatively decent life.
Rake

Postby Rake » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:27 am

BSP fans early bird offer thing!

As some of you enjoyed An Awkward Bow I thought I'd let you know that a mini album of previously unreleased tracks and remixes from the album sessions (not officially released until Monday) can be found here...

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/album/beneath-the-rose

I'm hoping The Alex like what I've done with Sub Rosa :)
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Mon May 21, 2018 6:27 pm

Rake wrote:I'm hoping The Alex like what I've done with Sub Rosa :)

I can't speak for him, but I believe he does.
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:36 pm

TheAlex wrote:
Rake wrote:I'm hoping The Alex like what I've done with Sub Rosa :)

I can't speak for him, but I believe he does.

Haha, splendid.

Here's a wee film for it that Sussex visual artist Chris Tomsett, AKA Innerstrings, has put together (filmed in Lewes)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCw7qDc ... ture=share
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:53 pm

"Nice work - it suits the music," said Alex.

"Check out Damselfly more than hanging on to a top 5 place in Alex's albums of 2018," Alex also said, for some reason referring to himself in the third-person: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheAlex/ ... ms-fo-sar/

As for the black "humour" at that link, you shouldn't have previously told him you liked the black humour.
TheAlex

PreviousNext

Return to Other Music