DAMSELFLY

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: An Awkward Bow

Postby Rake » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:10 am

TheAlex wrote:"Nice work - it suits the music," said Alex.

"Check out Damselfly more than hanging on to a top 5 place in Alex's albums of 2018," Alex also said, for some reason referring to himself in the third-person: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheAlex/ ... ms-fo-sar/

As for the black "humour" at that link, you shouldn't have previously told him you liked the black humour.

Thanks, I thought it fitted the track nicely too. Good to see An Awkward Bow holding its own half-way through the year, some fine company there too. Keep up the black humour, it rules. My ego has told me that the line about the 'majestic' Sub Rosa has validated the review as non-humour, but one should never trust their ego.
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Hello, the real Alex is back now. I'm pretty sure he's not making it up (hello fajara). I read some old reviews of my own band recently, and I'd remembered some much more positively than they were! We didn't really have any bad reviews, so if we did, maybe I would have remembered those more negatively than they were.

After your mailout today, it seems you might be the biggest threat to knocking your own album out of my top 5 for the year.
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:12 am

TheAlex wrote:Hello, the real Alex is back now. I'm pretty sure he's not making it up (hello fajara). I read some old reviews of my own band recently, and I'd remembered some much more positively than they were! We didn't really have any bad reviews, so if we did, maybe I would have remembered those more negatively than they were.

After your mailout today, it seems you might be the biggest threat to knocking your own album out of my top 5 for the year.

Welcome back the the real Alex :)

I think the closest I've come to a bad review so far is the odd laughing emoji as a reaction to my Facebook promotions, so that's not bad really (perhaps they were laughing with pure joy). At least I haven't had any angry emojis yet.

I'll be very interested in what you think of the new one when it comes out, it's quite a mixed bag musically I think, but pretty sure there are at least a few on there that'll tickle yer fancy, hope so anyway.

Are you doing anything band-wise currently?
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:31 pm

The Cakes' frontman is moving closer to home so he's asked about starting up again next month and all parties are up for it. I've received a track for a project I mentioned to you a while ago, but I'm making slow progress on getting my own songs recorded (the short story writing is taking up much more time than I thought it would, though at least I'm enjoying it (mostly!)). So lots and not much really.
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:15 pm

TheAlex wrote:The Cakes' frontman is moving closer to home so he's asked about starting up again next month and all parties are up for it. I've received a track for a project I mentioned to you a while ago, but I'm making slow progress on getting my own songs recorded (the short story writing is taking up much more time than I thought it would, though at least I'm enjoying it (mostly!)). So lots and not much really.

That all sounds promising, best of luck with it. Writing is incredibly time-consuming isn't it. I started a novel once (you know, on the basis that we're all supposed to have one good one in us) and gave up about two chapters in. I recall the project now you come to mention it again. Can you remind me of where best I can listen to your stuff and I'll see if anything fits the bill for a spot of Damselflyamecation :)
Rake

Re: DAMSELFLY

Postby Rake » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Afternoon all.

My new single is out today. It's called Sing Me Down Lorelei and is taken from the forthcoming album We Chose The Wilderness. If you'd like to take a listen you can do so here...

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/track/s ... wn-lorelei

https://soundcloud.com/user-321084802/s ... -lorelei-2

Cheers,

Darren
Rake

Postby Rake » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:45 pm

My new album will be out in the Autumn, but if anyone wants to hear a taster then you can head over to Bandcamp or Soundcloud and listen to promo single Mountain Ghost A via the links below. Those of you who have been following DAMSELFLY will notice a bit of a change of direction into more post-progressive-rock territory here, and I've managed to indulge my love of late 60s / early 70s British Rock with nods to Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. Anyway, hope (some of) you like it. Cheers for listening for those that do....

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/track/mountain-ghost-a

https://soundcloud.com/user-32108480...a-8-05_07_2018
Rake

Postby Rake » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Video for Mountain Ghost A here, hope you like it x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JAQA7hyU3A

Mixing the local with the international is how we at DAMSELFLY HQ like it, original footage here filmed at Goring Gap (Sussex) and Viana do Castelo in Portugal by the visionary eye and hand of Chris Tomsett (Innerstrings)

https://www.instagram.com/innerstrings/
https://www.facebook.com/innerstrings/
Rake

Postby Rake » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi all,

A quick shout to let you know that as esteemed BSP'ers and all-round lovely people you can now have a sneak peek / listen / buy if you feel like it of the new DAMSELFLY album 'We Chose The Wilderness'. It's available as limited edition CD and high-quality download here....

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/album/w ... wilderness

In other news, I was recently interviewed about all things D'fly by the excellent Louder Than War magazine. If you fancy reading about strange goings on up Lancing Ring(?), ghost echoes of long-lost walkers and potentially dubious early 80's vinyl fetishes then read on.......

https://louderthanwar.com/damselfly-interviewed/

Pip pip!
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Since King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard released 43 albums in the same year, I refuse to listen to multiple albums released by the same band/artist in the same year. I'm only joking, but it did put me off them. I've listened already, but only as background music so far.

Rake wrote:That all sounds promising, best of luck with it. Writing is incredibly time-consuming isn't it. I started a novel once (you know, on the basis that we're all supposed to have one good one in us) and gave up about two chapters in. I recall the project now you come to mention it again. Can you remind me of where best I can listen to your stuff and I'll see if anything fits the bill for a spot of Damselflyamecation :)

I'm sorry I missed this! Have you thought about writing short stories? Saying that, I've spent about 5 hours editing a 1,200-word story today (it only took 1-2 hours to write). It's a mild horror I sent to an editor for critique and I've been tasked with amping up the horror, without literally saying something's scary. I was also up until 2-3am for three or four mornings deleting 800 words from a 10,000-word story. I am a slow reader though - I don't mean to put you off.

I don't know when I'll get around to finishing the musical project, but Spotify and https://notthecakes.bandcamp.com/ have the same songs apart from 2 extra on the oldest Bandcamp release. There are even bigger obscurities elsewhere!
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:22 pm

TheAlex wrote:Since King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard released 43 albums in the same year, I refuse to listen to multiple albums released by the same band/artist in the same year. I'm only joking, but it did put me off them. I've listened already, but only as background music so far.

Rake wrote:That all sounds promising, best of luck with it. Writing is incredibly time-consuming isn't it. I started a novel once (you know, on the basis that we're all supposed to have one good one in us) and gave up about two chapters in. I recall the project now you come to mention it again. Can you remind me of where best I can listen to your stuff and I'll see if anything fits the bill for a spot of Damselflyamecation :)

I'm sorry I missed this! Have you thought about writing short stories? Saying that, I've spent about 5 hours editing a 1,200-word story today (it only took 1-2 hours to write). It's a mild horror I sent to an editor for critique and I've been tasked with amping up the horror, without literally saying something's scary. I was also up until 2-3am for three or four mornings deleting 800 words from a 10,000-word story. I am a slow reader though - I don't mean to put you off.

I don't know when I'll get around to finishing the musical project, but Spotify and https://notthecakes.bandcamp.com/ have the same songs apart from 2 extra on the oldest Bandcamp release. There are even bigger obscurities elsewhere!

I've noted your first point, I don't think I'll ever be in King Gizzard territory when it comes to proliferation, maybe more Ryan Adams, ho ho. Joking aside, it's a fair point, there is a delicate balance between being busy and being annoying, and now I don't have to (currently) worry about getting other musicians to learn and rehearse the music and play live there's much more time and room to write more often (I've already written and recorded 30 mins worth of stuff for the next album). Be interested in what you think of the new one as and when you've absorbed it more.

I used to dabble at short stories when I was much younger and it is something that I'd like to do again, or maybe some more extensive poetry. Once I've run out of steam with the current music stuff and /or no-one's interested anymore that'll likely be my next project. Good luck with yours, be interested in reading it when it's complete, I do like short ghost / horror stuff. Are you happy about amping up the horror? I prefer the dark stuff to be subtle personally.
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:03 pm

You're allowed an EP, I think... I especially enjoy Sub Rosa (Sussex Winter mix). Rather than being annoying, it's more that it gives me time to take an album in properly. If it was before the streaming-era I'd probably be all for it but there's so much music available now. One of my favourite albums last year was a double album, but I'd probably love it even more if it was one CD as it'd be easier to take in. I don't think the quality dips particularly in the second half (I listened to it in reverse to check) but by the second half I want to listen to something else.

I forgot to mention I like the artwork on the new album. It may be stating the obvious, but it has a Manics Gold Against the Soul vibe.

I was fine amping up the darkness in my stories, though I haven't thought of any of it as extreme, apart from one story maybe, but the character got what they deserved. I wouldn't put anything brutal in a story for the sake of doing it.

I've generally avoided watching horror films and reading horror stories, but I'm beginning to wonder what the fuss is about. As I was accidentally writing horror I thought I should read some. Apex Magazine is one of the leading horror publishers, and although they have horror, it's not what I thought of as horror. I doubt I'll ever have a sleepless night after one of the stories I've read. Similarly films - I've seen [REC], Saw, Don't Look Now and others recently. [REC] was supposed to be scary, but I found it more humorous than anything. I was more on edge with Jurassic World. Maybe those films aren't serious horror, or it's more of a mindset that if you want to be scared, you will be. There are still films I wouldn't watch in a dark room on my own!

Fingers crossed, I'll sell my first story soon. I've had a rejection with suggested revisions, which I'm working on to send back to the editor. I'll definitely share the one that features BSP if I sell it! Neither of these are horror.

Do you have an idea of the kind of short stories you'd like to write? When I was younger I used to write what I'd be interested in reading, but most of what I write now isn't what I planned on writing (but I still enjoy it).
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:39 am

TheAlex wrote:You're allowed an EP, I think....

Haha, thanks ;) Seriously though, really pleased you like the Sub Rosa remix, especially as it was largely inspired by one of our conversations on here. It all seeps in one way or the other mate. One of the tracks I've written for the next one partly came to me in a dream I had recently which involved a musical moment with a former forumite on here, who happens to be closely linked with BSP (I'll say no more for now and save the full story for another time).

I find a lot of horror funny too, especially on film, there's usually a fair amount of slapstick involved (remember reading somewhere that The Evil Dead was largely based on Three Stooges gags). I prefer more unsettling stuff that leaves more of an impression, more to the imagination. One of the more unsettling horrors I've seen recently was It Follows, that did freak me out a bit. On a more arty tip, but again a bit unnerving (as well as beautifully scored and shot) was A Ghost Story.

I've got no idea what I'd like to write really. The last thing I started was semi-autobiographical which those I shared bits with really liked but I found that I was boring myself writing it so gave up. I think if I try again it'll definitely be fictional and probably darkly romantic in some aspect, that's about all I've got for now.

PS, see what you mean now about the Gold Against The Soul cover thing, must give that another spin, good album.
Rake

Postby TheAlex » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:40 pm

I'll check those two out - I see A Ghost Story drew influence from Spirited Away, which is one of my favourite films.

I do enjoy Hitchcock films. I forget to mention him as I've watched him since I was a kid.
TheAlex

Postby Rake » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:21 pm

TheAlex wrote:I'll check those two out - I see A Ghost Story drew influence from Spirited Away, which is one of my favourite films.

I do enjoy Hitchcock films. I forget to mention him as I've watched him since I was a kid.

Don't think I've seen Spirited Away, will check.

PS - a couple of free D'fly download things currently if anyone's interested (one does require purchase of a badge though, no strings on t'other).....

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/track/undersong-6

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/merch/d ... logo-badge
Rake

PreviousNext

Return to Other Music