soundtrack my year

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

soundtrack my year

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Guys

in a mere seven days I am running away from all my problems

Yep. Job Jacked in. House moving out of. Car being sold.

And I fly to South East Asia for a spot of travelling. I reckon the life savings will last six months easy, but I am hoping to scrape along for a year (You would like me carry your bag through customs for you? Of course I will...)

I was going to be doing this with the love of my life (but anyone who has viewed other threads in this place will know how that has gone for me)

So I am going on my own.

This does mean I am going to seeing things and rather than talk about it with someone (a what a someone, no, Nic, we are past that now), I will just be stuck in my own head (that works well for me too..?).

So...

I thought I have opportunity to soundtrack the experiences myself.

So suggestions please of the sort of music you would want to share the sights and experiences of the trip of a life time.

No genre forbidden. Just the sort of music that could enhance, temples, street markets, valleys of paddy fields, boat trips down the Mekong

Go I can't wait

Just to get my head of my arsehole...

Cath: Expecting some corkers from you
NicholasVanWotsisface

Re: soundtrack my year

Postby atombowl65 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:02 pm

Mice Parade eclectic detailed electronica morphing into something or other. Bit hard to say what.
30 Pounds of Bone. Generally excellent.
The Great Park. Itchy, detailed, intense little narratives.

You may well hate these but I really hope the trip goes well.
atombowl65

Postby bancroftboy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:06 pm

Good luck Nic

My general advice would be to take the headphones off as much as possible,part of the experience is the sounds
Other than that go for instrumental post rock for the full cinematic soundtrack effect
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
bancroftboy

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:35 pm

I know the sounds are part of it
But I know how lonely I am going to be
How lonely I am now

So I just want the option to take the top off my thinking off so I don't do my head in

As I am more than prone to that
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby TheAlex » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:32 pm

I don't listen to much music when I'm travelling, but post-rock tends to soundtrack the longer public transport journeys. Collapse Under The Empire can be very cinematic. They have a compilation out soon which would be a good start, but if I had to pick one album it'd be Shoulders & Giants, or The Sirens Sound (oops, that's two). My favourite song by them is Angle of Incidence, which isn't massively representative of their sound. Maybe Kokomo's new album if you want something noisier, or Syberia for something noisier still. I saw Sagor Som Leder Mot Slutet at a festival recently and they were pretty good.

I remember Mono making some simple moments seem more special, like just watching a bird fly.

Chasing After Shadows... Living With the Ghosts by Hammock is great to rest to, as is a lot of their stuff.

Have you travelled long-term before? I'm just back from 3 1/2 months in Scotland (mostly The Hebrides) and 2 weeks in Norway. The key to long-term travel to me is to keep it varied. It's a good way to get over something in my opinion - keeping life active and varied is the best way to take your mind off things.
TheAlex

Postby pomfob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:22 am

Bit of gamelan...yes, I know that's from a few hundred miles east of where you're going, but nevertheless, I can imagine it working perfectly sailing down the Mekong.

Band called Dengue Fever mix Western rock & pop music from that locality. Some of the members are of either Vietnamese or Cambodian heritage.

Speaking of Cambodia, there's a few good compilations of late 60s & early 70s pop you could pick up before you go. Actually, you could probably find that sort of thing cheaper out there. I have one called something like The Cambodian Tape Archive.

If you're going to post-rock, look out for Jambinai (hmm, is that the right spelling?) from Korea. Again, several countries over from where you'll be, but more local than Explosions In The Sky for example. And they're very good too.

Apocalypse Now soundtrack, maybe?
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Return to Other Music