Leicester = alternative music meca?

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Leicester = alternative music meca?

Postby Mr Bod » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:50 pm

After BSP and Wire gigs is this further evidence of Leicester becoming an alternative music meca ??
Attachments
CA4G3pbWwAIKwGz.jpg
CA4G3pbWwAIKwGz.jpg (129.91 KiB) Viewed 4617 times
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Re: Leicester = alternative music meca?

Postby pomfob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:30 pm

Possibly; alternatively they've realised there's a market for this sort of thing over the May Day bank holiday weekend - hence Live At Leeds & Glasgow and the Sounds From The Other City festival in Salford...if I wasn't going to 2 out of the 3 of those, I'd be sorely tempted by Leicester...
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:14 am

pomfob wrote:Possibly; alternatively they've realised there's a market for this sort of thing over the May Day bank holiday weekend - hence Live At Leeds & Glasgow and the Sounds From The Other City festival in Salford...if I wasn't going to 2 out of the 3 of those, I'd be sorely tempted by Leicester...

Yep. It does look like a great festival but that weekend is full, they should maybe try another one next year...
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby PontiacB » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:36 pm

Things have certainly improved significantly over the last 2-3 years in terms of the number of decent gigs of this type in the city. The academy isn't everyone's cup of tea, but having multiple stages within the same building makes it ideal for this type of thing. Whereas a few years ago it seemed like there were only 1-2 of the promoters booking these types of bands, now there are at least 4 promoters I can think of in the city who have a good reputation and seem to have the right contacts.

I managed to get a handmade early bird weekend ticket for £25 before any bands were announced which now looks like a real bargain.
PontiacB

Return to Other Music