Allotment News

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Allotment News

Postby avocetboy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:13 pm

First Butternut Squash picked, Tomatoes in abundance, French Beans prolific, Raspberries plump and sweet, Onions drying out, cabbages ruined by caterpillars, Pak Choi seedlings appearing, Potatoe crop are now old rather than new, Winter potatoes planted in time for xmas, Sweetcorn insufficiently pollinated resulting in an absence of kernals.
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Re: Allotment News

Postby Thing2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:21 am

Uchi kuri and patty pan squashes taking over most of Kent, (butternut to follow) climbing beans steady and reliable, tomatoes the size of cooking apples, onions being plaited into decorative strings by Thing1, kale up to my armpits, parsnips waiting for the first frost (apparently), sweetcorn coming on, celeriac looking ok (as far as I can tell) and carrots delicious but oddly shaped.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Thing2

Postby Ronald Amundsen » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:36 am

Thing2 wrote:Uchi kuri and patty pan squashes taking over most of Kent, (butternut to follow) climbing beans steady and reliable, tomatoes the size of cooking apples, onions being plaited into decorative strings by Thing1, kale up to my armpits, parsnips waiting for the first frost (apparently), sweetcorn coming on, celeriac looking ok (as far as I can tell) and carrots delicious but oddly shaped.

Are any of your carrots shaped like genitalia?
I used to love that feature on 'That's Life'.
If so,please feel free to post pictures.
My James Grieve is blighted by blackspot.
I may seek medical advice.
Outside the Gielgud,a neon sign read : 'Equus On The Buses',starring Mr Ed.
Ronald Amundsen

Postby Thing2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:27 pm

Ronald Amundsen wrote:
Thing2 wrote:Uchi kuri and patty pan squashes taking over most of Kent, (butternut to follow) climbing beans steady and reliable, tomatoes the size of cooking apples, onions being plaited into decorative strings by Thing1, kale up to my armpits, parsnips waiting for the first frost (apparently), sweetcorn coming on, celeriac looking ok (as far as I can tell) and carrots delicious but oddly shaped.

Are any of your carrots shaped like genitalia?
I used to love that feature on 'That's Life'.
If so,please feel free to post pictures.
My James Grieve is blighted by blackspot.
I may seek medical advice.

There are 3 carrots which appear to me to be entwined in a quite erotic way.
Mind you, I don't get much stimulation since the missus threw out my stash of Reader's Wives
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Thing2

Postby redc » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Whilst driving a couple of months back on the A22 near East Grinstead, I noted one of those brown leisure road signs saying "Bonsai Nursey"

I'm convinced if I'd followed the sign it would just have led to someone's allotment.
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby Gorgeous Undertow » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:45 pm

Sadly, since I bought the townhouse there's only room for a tomato in a bucket. I tried German striped heirloom tomatoes this year and have just recently noticed two tiny fruits beginning. It's been a tough year weatherwise.
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean." - John Muir

http://popgirlzarts.com
Gorgeous Undertow

Postby ORK (Original Red Kite) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:13 am

My bristol sink of strawberries has yielded a punnet or two and bristol sink of herbs has seen chives thrive and all others die (waterlogged). Apple tree looking good for a bumper October crop. Space in garden earmarked for veg next year, hell yeah, watch this space...
Hanx...
ORK (Original Red Kite)

Postby Ronald Amundsen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:17 am

redc wrote:Whilst driving a couple of months back on the A22 near East Grinstead, I noted one of those brown leisure road signs saying "Bonsai Nursey"

I'm convinced if I'd followed the sign it would just have led to someone's allotment.

I think a Bonsai Nursey sounds positively kinky.
I can just envisage some Hattie Jacques lookalike dominatrix in a basque flagellating the puckering,rouge buttocks of her 'naughty' clients with small trees.
Outside the Gielgud,a neon sign read : 'Equus On The Buses',starring Mr Ed.
Ronald Amundsen

Postby avocetboy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:31 pm

Pak Choi picked today. Went down a treat in a Thai Chicken Noodle Soup, which also included homegrown Leeks, Onions, Basil, Coriander and French Beans.
avocetboy

Postby beforetheflood » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Soup sounds delicious, do you make it spicy at all? I prefer the Vietnamese Pho to the Thai noodle soups usually, but they're both good eats. I don't have much of a bumper crop this year, but I did sucessfully raise three avocado trees from seed and finally got them big enough to transplant which I did today. I hope they survive the winter. My garden consists of bananas, honeybell oranges, pink grapefruit, meyer lemons, basil, cilantro, tomatoes and the rogue kumquat tree.
beforetheflood

Postby avocetboy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:02 pm

Onions, Leeks, 3 varieties of potatoes, Beetroots, French Beans, Bolloti Beans and Kentucky Wax Beans all planted. 2nd Year asparagus looking healthy, but no spears taken. Raspberries producing flower buds.

Tomatoes and Cucumbers transferred to larger pots.

Busy days to come.
avocetboy

Postby avocetboy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:14 pm

First early spuds planted. Leeks and Onions grown from seed along with onion sets all in. Took a risk with the parsnip seedlings, but there in.

Planting carrot and beetroot seed tomorrow and preparing salad bed and may plant radish and lettuce.

Tomatoes, aubergines and sweet corn all growing well in the greenhouse.

Spring time is a good time.
avocetboy

Postby Thing2 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Spuds and onions in. Trying Salad Blue spuds this year
Onions and garlic from autumn plant well on the way
Planted an edible hedge this winter (hazel, crab apple, cherry plumb, wild pear) which is budding well, as is the damson sapling (probably Farleigh) which I "transplanted" from a hedgerow discovered while walking the dog
This year's project is a home made polytunnel
Thing2

Postby avocetboy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Thing2 wrote:Spuds and onions in. Trying Salad Blue spuds this year
Planted an edible hedge this winter (hazel, crab apple, cherry plumb, wild pear) which is budding well, as is the damson sapling (probably Farleigh) which I "transplanted" from a hedgerow discovered while walking the dog

Like the idea of the edible hedge. Keep us posted as to progress
avocetboy

Postby Thing2 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:42 pm

avocetboy wrote:
Thing2 wrote:Spuds and onions in. Trying Salad Blue spuds this year

Like the idea of the edible hedge. Keep us posted as to progress

Will do. Tis for the wildlife mainly. And I CAN spell plum. Working nights frazzles the brain
Thing2

Return to General