Outdoor Adventures

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Outdoor Adventures

Postby TheAlex » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:21 pm

The castle was great - furnished by an eccentric who paid his builders extra to wear tweed kilts (or something like that) if you want to believe that. With some nice items from around the world, paintings, period decor and furniture, and then out of nowhere a fully stocked dentist's room! I didn't make it over to the west side that time, but cycled to the bit where Autumnwatch film the deer.

Wendelin of Trier wrote:Hoping to 'nip' over to Jura during our Islay visit. Looks brilliant.
Harris is an amazing place. The beaches.. Possibly my favourite, but it's hard to choose.
Mull is another bobby dazzler. It kind of has it all. Managed to spot an otter while we were there last year! Golden Eagles, Sea Eagles, Bottlenose Dolphins, Atlantic seals. We took a boat out to Staffa and Lunga. Walking into fingals cave was pretty unforgettable. As were the comical puffins on Lunga. You could sit just a few feet away from them, they aren't particularly bothered by people.
Iona is a lovely little island too. The view back to Mull from Iona is one of the finest in Scotland imo. Incredible.

I don't think i'll ever tire of going to these places, and i've still plenty left to visit. It really feels a world away up there.

I'm planning on doing Jura's west coast walk at some point (about 50 miles). It's uninhabited by us lot, with the only signs of human life being 3 bothies, and a cave an artist lived in in the early 90s.

I love Staffa too. I should add it to my list of favourites. And Iona is gorgeous - that view over to Mull - there was a rainbow over the abbey as I walked by. I was glad I didn't stay in my tent to avoid the rain - I'd just arrived and set my tent up, and didn't feel like doing much.

I was really surprised by Mull as I didn't know anything about it (apart from Tobermory and the Colin MacIntyre band), and from what I read, it wasn't rated amongst the most scenic of the islands. It was my first Hebridean island, and a walk I did along the south coast is one of my favourites ever - incredible cliffs and waterfalls - and I only saw 1 person in 2 days. It was also the first time I camped in a bivvy bag.
TheAlex

Postby Hebrides Zimbo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Read up on the Rhum castle. You are right about the kilted builders. It seems to have been built for a hedonistic getaway with a bit off hunting/shooting m/fishing thrown in. I don't often get spooked by anything, but got it outside that place!
Never set foot on Mull, Iona or Staffa. Never seem to get past Oban or Benderloch beach .
Set sail on those turquoise days
Hebrides Zimbo

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55 pm

TheAlex wrote:The castle was great - furnished by an eccentric who paid his builders extra to wear tweed kilts (or something like that) if you want to believe that. With some nice items from around the world, paintings, period decor and furniture, and then out of nowhere a fully stocked dentist's room! I didn't make it over to the west side that time, but cycled to the bit where Autumnwatch film the deer.

Wendelin of Trier wrote:Hoping to 'nip' over to Jura during our Islay visit. Looks brilliant.
Harris is an amazing place. The beaches.. Possibly my favourite, but it's hard to choose.
Mull is another bobby dazzler. It kind of has it all. Managed to spot an otter while we were there last year! Golden Eagles, Sea Eagles, Bottlenose Dolphins, Atlantic seals. We took a boat out to Staffa and Lunga. Walking into fingals cave was pretty unforgettable. As were the comical puffins on Lunga. You could sit just a few feet away from them, they aren't particularly bothered by people.
Iona is a lovely little island too. The view back to Mull from Iona is one of the finest in Scotland imo. Incredible.

I don't think i'll ever tire of going to these places, and i've still plenty left to visit. It really feels a world away up there.

I'm planning on doing Jura's west coast walk at some point (about 50 miles). It's uninhabited by us lot, with the only signs of human life being 3 bothies, and a cave an artist lived in in the early 90s.

I love Staffa too. I should add it to my list of favourites. And Iona is gorgeous - that view over to Mull - there was a rainbow over the abbey as I walked by. I was glad I didn't stay in my tent to avoid the rain - I'd just arrived and set my tent up, and didn't feel like doing much.

I was really surprised by Mull as I didn't know anything about it (apart from Tobermory and the Colin MacIntyre band), and from what I read, it wasn't rated amongst the most scenic of the islands. It was my first Hebridean island, and a walk I did along the south coast is one of my favourites ever - incredible cliffs and waterfalls - and I only saw 1 person in 2 days. It was also the first time I camped in a bivvy bag.

Utterly superb!
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Hebrides Zimbo wrote:Read up on the Rhum castle. You are right about the kilted builders. It seems to have been built for a hedonistic getaway with a bit off hunting/shooting m/fishing thrown in. I don't often get spooked by anything, but got it outside that place!

The castle looks great, although definitely intimidating.
I remember seeing a photo of the interior in a guide book about 15 years ago when I first became interested in visiting Scotland, and thought it looked pretty amazing. Hope to get there one day.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby TheAlex » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:01 pm

I seem to be the only BSP forum member who doesn't think Kinloch Castle looks intimidating.

Maybe it's because I almost got locked in the grounds of this one for the night:

Corvin Castle - Hunedoara, Transylvania, Romania

And a castle in Bulgaria, when they decided to lock up 10 minutes early.

Also, Scottish Natural Heritage are threatening to demolish Kinloch Castle, so maybe you should get there sooner rather than later. It's a shame it's isolated on a small island, though that's also part of the appeal.
TheAlex

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:36 pm

That looks a bit too 'fairytale' to be haunted. Maybe youd bump into a hideous hunchback type figure in one of the towers, but that's about it.

It would be a bloody travesty if Kinloch were demolished. Charlie should buy it and do it up.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Hebrides Zimbo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Kinloch Castle is very hard to maintain, thanks to the way it was built and what it was built with. Spoken to a few contractors who have worked there various things over the years. It's almost impossible to maintainin. It's cursed anyway, I'm convinced!
Hebrides Zimbo

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Hebrides Zimbo wrote:Kinloch Castle is very hard to maintain, thanks to the way it was built and what it was built with. Spoken to a few contractors who have worked there various things over the years. It's almost impossible to maintainin. It's cursed anyway, I'm convinced!

Yes, just being a bit silly and off the cuff re charlie, I can imagine that the castle, like many grand old houses (and even westminster!) is crumbling and in need of round the clock maintenance and repair.
It would just be awful to see a place like that have to go.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Hebrides Zimbo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:03 pm

A dark moody Skye Good Friday
Hebrides Zimbo

Postby LeonardMill » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:04 am

TheAlex wrote:I seem to be the only BSP forum member who enjoys great results with pre workout supplements and think Kinloch Castle looks intimidating.

Maybe it's because I almost got locked in the grounds of this one for the night:

Also, Scottish Natural Heritage are threatening to demolish Kinloch Castle, so maybe you should get there sooner rather than later. It's a shame it's isolated on a small island, though that's also part of the appeal.

Would make for a great horror movie!
Last edited by LeonardMill on Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LeonardMill

Postby Selenahudson » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:00 pm

Shorts in practically identical surfaces and makes are moreover awesome, especially for preoccupation drives and nature walks around open fields. Two or three shoes or boots can make or pulverize your adventure. Men sometimes slight this, envisioning whatever they have will work. Men who think like that have found safaris especially difficult to appreciate.
Selenahudson

Postby TheAlex » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:46 pm

Selenahudson wrote:Shorts in practically identical surfaces and makes are moreover awesome, especially for preoccupation drives and nature walks around open fields. Two or three shoes or boots can make or pulverize your adventure. Men sometimes slight this, envisioning whatever they have will work. Men who think like that have found safaris especially difficult to appreciate.

Preoccupation drives are my favourite kinds of drives, though I always make sure fields aren't too open. You can't be too careful when there are leopards around.

I've never had a problem with two or three shoes - I think both are the perfect number for any type of adventure. It's interesting to hear what men think. Do you have information about what women think?
TheAlex

Postby PaulLaffoon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:25 pm

Selenahudison wrote:Shorts in practically identical surfaces and makes are moreover awesome, especially for preoccupation drives and nature walks around open fields. Two or three shoes or boots can make or pulverize your adventure. Men sometimes slight this, envisioning whatever they have otc phentermine this helful phentermine review posted here which will work. Men who think like that have found safaris especially difficult to appreciate.

So you read our post two weeks ago about launching your hiking career, then ... as the days get cooler.
Last edited by PaulLaffoon on Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
PaulLaffoon

Postby Ashtyn » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:32 am

TheAlex wrote:I seem to be the only BSP forum member who doesn't think Kinloch Castle looks intimidating.

Maybe it's because I almost got locked in the https://swallowapill.com/keto-ultra-fit/

https://swallowapill.com/keto-trim-800/
grounds of this one for the night:

Also, Scottish Natural Heritage are keto ultra fit threatening to demolish Kinloch Castle, so maybe you should get there sooner rather than later. keto trim 800 It's a shame it's isolated on a small island, though that's also part of the appeal.

amazing castle - the stuff of fairytales or horror stories.
Last edited by Ashtyn on Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtyn

Postby TheAlex » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:03 am

Spammers seem to like that castle.

TheAlex wrote:

And last year, I did! After not seeing another person for 5 days, despite the difficult terrain in places, it was more mentally than physically challenging. Though during the walk, I was thinking I'd never want to do it again. But I'm thinking about doing it again this year. In spring, to avoid the worst of the tics and high bracken. What a beautiful and incredible place.
TheAlex

PreviousNext

Return to General