Outdoor Adventures

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Outdoor Adventures

Postby Gorgeous Undertow » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:41 pm

OK, finally got my pictures sorted. It was an amazing trip although it could have been a tad cooler(it was in the upper 80's) and with fewer blackflies. The trail was super rocky most of the way, but the view from the lookout was inspiring. Here's some snaps:

View from the trail.

View of nearby Mt Baker from the summit.

Cool standing rock.

More rocks.

Me at the summit.

If you're interested the rest of my pictures can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=55564&id=1577527244&l=3f4e34cec6
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean." - John Muir

http://popgirlzarts.com
Gorgeous Undertow

Postby avocetboy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:34 pm

Stunning
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Postby avocetboy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:31 pm

No match for yours, Undertow, but I took this from the top of Stac Poly on the Coigach Peninsula in Scotland earlier this year

avocetboy

Postby No Paranoia » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:33 am

Best thread in General.
I'll be off to Scotland once more in late August, hopefully bringing a few pretty pictures back.

This is Loch Leven (branching from Loch Linhe) and the Pap of Glen Coe in February:
No Paranoia

Postby Gorgeous Undertow » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:09 pm

If I ever make it back across the ocean I must spend some quality time in Scotland...it looks amazing. I have a pretty heinous desk job so trips out like these are one of the only things that keep me moderately sane.
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean." - John Muir

Gorgeous Undertow

Postby avocetboy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:55 am

No Paranoia wrote:Best thread in General.
I'll be off to Scotland once more in late August, hopefully bringing a few pretty pictures back.

This is Loch Leven (branching from Loch Linhe) and the Pap of Glen Coe in February:

Where abouts are you going?
avocetboy

Postby Airbrushed From History » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm

A few photos of a trip to the Lakes in April.

We stayed here - a fantastic place - it sleeps 21 but with only 13 of us it was about £20 a night each:

And walked:

Me somewhere on the ridge in the vicinity of Haystacks:

A few weeks later Derrick Bird was taking a similar route:

He shot the landlord of the Woolpack, thankfully he survived to continue selling his fine ales:

British Sea Power Forum Official Celebrity Short Description Mid Winter Word Search Competition Winner 2007.
Airbrushed From History

Postby Kattegat » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:05 pm

I'm visiting lithuania this september and will go to the Kursiu Nerija national park, home to the Curonion spit.

Looks quite picteresque. Do have to be cautious though, since wandering a bit too much could get me in Russian territory.
Kattegat

Postby No Paranoia » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:42 pm

avocetboy wrote:
No Paranoia wrote:Best thread in General.

Where abouts are you going?

Good question. I have friends living near-by in that area and so I sort of walked off a random path leading away from the road into the hills. It was the day of my arrival up there and I felt deeply mentally exhausted. What was supposed to be a short walk then lasted over 4 hours because I just went on and on. My friends' place in Scotland has become somewhat of a sanctuary for me, bless them forever for graciously and patiently hosting my troubled self again and again.

All in all I must admit that I am more of an ambitious walker than a determined hiker, you will certainly never see me hauling tent, sleeping bag and 18 kilo of rucksack through the wilderness. Instead I love doing long day trips with light package and a hostel or b&b to return to in the evening.
No Paranoia

Postby No Paranoia » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:50 pm

Airbrushed From History wrote:A few photos of a trip to the Lakes in April.

We stayed here - a fantastic place - it sleeps 21 but with only 13 of us it was about £20 a night each:
Me somewhere on the ridge in the vicinity of Haystacks:

Lovely pictures. The area is very much on my list for some time.

I did visit the Lake District for a few days in 1994 but seem to recall mostly that we had trouble getting anywhere near the lake shores because most of them were private property. But that trip was admittedly rather poorly planned, we mainly drove around looking at the scenery from the car and camped at random sites without knowing much where we actually were.
Will do better next time.
Gorgeous Undertow wrote:OK, finally got my pictures sorted. It was an amazing trip although it could have been a tad cooler(it was in the upper 80's) and with fewer blackflies. The trail was super rocky most of the way, but the view from the lookout was inspiring. Here's some snaps:

View from the trail.

View of nearby Mt Baker from the summit.

Absolutely amazing!
*develops severe case of wanderlust*
No Paranoia

Postby ORK (Original Red Kite) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Airbrushed From History wrote:A few photos of a trip to the Lakes in April.

Don't suppose you have a link for this place do you?
Hanx...
ORK (Original Red Kite)

Postby Airbrushed From History » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:00 pm

ORK (Original Red Kite) wrote:Don't suppose you have a link for this place do you?

http://www.eskmealshouse.co.uk/

We paid £1100 for 4 nights in mid-April. Cheaper than a Travel Lodge. We were planning to go back this year but it looks like it might be full until 2011.

The only slight downers about it were:

1) It's about a mile from the coast so you need transport to get to interesting walks. ~10 miles to Wasdale Head for instance. It actually pops up directly from a search for 'Eskmeals Ho' on streetmap.co.uk
2) It's about a mile from an MOD testing range - they did nothing while we were there so perhaps it
doesn't get used much.
3) The owners live in another house on the same site - but apart from upon arrival we saw the bloke once, 2 fields away, feeding the horses. He waved.

The good things, apart from it being an awesome house were:

1) Splendid butchers in the nearby villages - rib of beef for 13 on the Sunday. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
2) The nearest pub in Waberthwaite (1.5 miles over fields) serves excellent food and beer.
3) Quiet and secluded (See possible MOD caveat!)
4) The owner's King Charles' spaniels coming to scrounge toast in the morning.
5) The owner's horses wandering about.
British Sea Power Forum Official Celebrity Short Description Mid Winter Word Search Competition Winner 2007.
Airbrushed From History

Postby ORK (Original Red Kite) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Airbrushed From History wrote:
ORK (Original Red Kite) wrote:Don't suppose you have a link for this place do you?

http://www.eskmealshouse.co.uk/
We paid £1100 for 4 nights in mid-April. Cheaper than a Travel Lodge. We were planning to go back this year but it looks like it might be full until 2011.
The only slight downers about it were:
1) It's about a mile from the coast so you need transport to get to interesting walks. ~10 miles to Wasdale Head for instance. It actually pops up directly from a search for 'Eskmeals Ho' on streetmap.co.uk
2) It's about a mile from an MOD testing range - they did nothing while we were there so perhaps it
doesn't get used much.
3) The owners live in another house on the same site - but apart from upon arrival we saw the bloke once, 2 fields away, feeding the horses. He waved.
The good things, apart from it being an awesome house were:
1) Splendid butchers in the nearby villages - rib of beef for 13 on the Sunday. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
2) The nearest pub in Waberthwaite (1.5 miles over fields) serves excellent food and beer.
3) Quiet and secluded (See possible MOD caveat!)
4) The owner's King Charles' spaniels coming to scrounge toast in the morning.
5) The owner's horses wandering about.

Thanks very much for that, much appreciated,shall have a good look at the site later.

Can equally vouch for this place http://www.theknowe.co.uk/index.htm, over the border and west, which comfortably accommodated a group of 15 of us over this New Year
Hanx...
ORK (Original Red Kite)

Postby Gorgeous Undertow » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Anyone know of any good and resonably priced accomodations for two? I may actually get over for a holiday in a year or so. Will probably be staying generally in the south but maybe the Lake District as well...?

No Paranoia wrote:Absolutely amazing!

C'mon over! I'll put you up in my guest room. I'm only an hour away from the mountains! :)

Gorgeous Undertow

Postby No Paranoia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Gorgeous Undertow wrote:Anyone know of any good and resonably priced accomodations for two? I may actually get over for a holiday in a year or so. Will probably be staying generally in the south but maybe the Lake District as well...?

No Paranoia wrote:Absolutely amazing!

C'mon over! I'll put you up in my guest room. I'm only an hour away from the mountains! :)

(>_<)
You might consider erasing that post before I seriously lock jaws on that idea...

As for your own travel plans, how about waiting a little more and then tying them together with possible BSP tour plans? If there's a new album there will certainly be a tour. Kill two birds with one stone.
No Paranoia

PreviousNext

Return to General