Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby avocetboy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:56 am

Northern Pete wrote:
Szabo wrote:Bradford 'least attractive city for visitors'

Nonsense

Image



Is that the Sculpture Park?...Cracking place, but not exactly in Bradford
How would they survive back in the wild?
User avatar
avocetboy
 
Posts: 2079
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: Where the Samphire grows

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby Northern Pete » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:04 pm

avocetboy wrote:
Northern Pete wrote:
Szabo wrote:Bradford 'least attractive city for visitors'

Nonsense

Image



Is that the Sculpture Park?...Cracking place, but not exactly in Bradford

It's Undercliffe Cemetary Avocet.

http://www.bradlibs.com/localstudies/vtc/uc/index.htm
Northern Pete
 

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby bob falconscotch » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Parts of London are truly awful,some suburbs of Paris such as Clichy sous Bois are pretty grim but for me nothing is in the same ballpark as the antechamber to hell that is Hull.
I would rather live in a Calcutta gutter.
James Dean was just a careless driver,and Marilyn Monroe was just a slag...
bob falconscotch
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Mamucium

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby Szabo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:18 pm

Northern Pete wrote:Nonsense


Travelodge Survey results Pete innit, I've never visited Bradford. Couldn't agree more with your sentiments about our capital.
its not abaht getting pissed, its all abaht the art innit?
User avatar
Szabo
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby bob falconscotch » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:31 pm

bob falconscotch wrote:Parts of London are truly awful,some suburbs of Paris such as Clichy sous Bois are pretty grim but for me nothing is in the same ballpark as the antechamber to hell that is Hull.
I would rather live in a Calcutta gutter.


...whilst listening to Ralf Hutter sing "The Cutter" with a stutter and receiving a handjob off Anne-Sophie Mutter covered in "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter".
If you make but one decision this weekend,I implore you to make it never to visit Hull,not in this life or in the next.
James Dean was just a careless driver,and Marilyn Monroe was just a slag...
bob falconscotch
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Mamucium

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby Northern Pete » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:41 pm

Szabo wrote:
Northern Pete wrote:Nonsense


Travelodge Survey results Pete innit, I've never visited Bradford. Couldn't agree more with your sentiments about our capital.

I was commenting on the survey. Cath loves a Travelodge mind.
Northern Pete
 

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby avocetboy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:09 pm

bob falconscotch wrote:
bob falconscotch wrote:Parts of London are truly awful,some suburbs of Paris such as Clichy sous Bois are pretty grim but for me nothing is in the same ballpark as the antechamber to hell that is Hull.
I would rather live in a Calcutta gutter.


...whilst listening to Ralf Hutter sing "The Cutter" with a stutter and receiving a handjob off Anne-Sophie Mutter covered in "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter".
If you make but one decision this weekend,I implore you to make it never to visit Hull,not in this life or in the next.


"The Deep" is alright, as is the Humber Bridge, and it is well worth the effort of passing through Hull to reach Spurn Point. I may make that one decison.
How would they survive back in the wild?
User avatar
avocetboy
 
Posts: 2079
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: Where the Samphire grows

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby Heartland » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:38 pm

I'm ticking some boxes on this thread me.

Born in Dewsbury, live in Wakefield, visit Bradford a lot and spent a fair bit of time in Hull.

Don't like Blackpool much.
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Northern England

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby sinned » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:20 pm

I lived in Hull for a year and really liked it. Mind you, I'm from Middlesbrough.
User avatar
sinned
 
Posts: 760
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:05 pm

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby Busty » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:17 pm

Salford. Christ.

Or, more specifically, Cooden Beach railway station. A building so astonishingly awful that it is impossible to be in a good mood until you've left it again.
Junior! Thish ish intolerable!
Busty
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:28 am

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby The Other Half » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:30 pm

I've never been to Hull, but one of my colleagues has been there a few times and enjoyed it. OK, she isn't planning on moving there, but apparently it's got a bit of a lively cultural scene and isn't totally devoid of merit.

I have a dim recollection of a previous "biggest shithole" thread where I mentioned North Woolwich. I'm from Manchester and we used visit my gran in the concrete horror of Hulme; I've lived in London for 20 years and am familiar with the scraggier ends of Brixton, Peckham and Tottenham... but walking around North Woolwich with GTW in broad daylight, we were both gradually engulfed by a feeling of impending doom that neither of us had ever experienced before. Nothing happened, nobody said anything or even paid us any attention. But we couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I suppose we should go back to see if we still have the same reaction. But I don't know if I could summon up the courage.
And what fresh lunacy is this? A crocodile?!
User avatar
The Other Half
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:36 pm

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby icehaven » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:48 pm

The Other Half wrote:we were both gradually engulfed by a feeling of impending doom that neither of us had ever experienced before. Nothing happened, nobody said anything or even paid us any attention. But we couldn't get out of there fast enough.


I had the exact same feeling in Marypool, most depressing place I've ever been. Until we saw a man fall off his horse on the beach, that cheered us up.
People from the West Midlands
Shouldn't be allowed on Television
User avatar
icehaven
 
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby The Other Half » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:13 pm

icehaven wrote:
The Other Half wrote:we were both gradually engulfed by a feeling of impending doom that neither of us had ever experienced before. Nothing happened, nobody said anything or even paid us any attention. But we couldn't get out of there fast enough.


I had the exact same feeling in Marypool, most depressing place I've ever been. Until we saw a man fall off his horse on the beach, that cheered us up.



A place that has a beach? And horses? Sounds idyllic!

Er, actually, where is it? I've done a quick google... Is it near Bournemouth?
And what fresh lunacy is this? A crocodile?!
User avatar
The Other Half
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:36 pm

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby icehaven » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:54 am

The Other Half wrote:
icehaven wrote:
The Other Half wrote:we were both gradually engulfed by a feeling of impending doom that neither of us had ever experienced before. Nothing happened, nobody said anything or even paid us any attention. But we couldn't get out of there fast enough.


I had the exact same feeling in Marypool, most depressing place I've ever been. Until we saw a man fall off his horse on the beach, that cheered us up.



A place that has a beach? And horses? Sounds idyllic!

Er, actually, where is it? I've done a quick google... Is it near Bournemouth?


Oops, tis Maryport, not pool.It's in Cumbria, just at the top of this map below. See it was so bad, I can't even recall it's name properly.
Image
People from the West Midlands
Shouldn't be allowed on Television
User avatar
icehaven
 
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby bob falconscotch » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:05 pm

The Other Half wrote:I've never been to Hull, but one of my colleagues has been there a few times and enjoyed it. OK, she isn't planning on moving there, but apparently it's got a bit of a lively cultural scene and isn't totally devoid of merit.

I have a dim recollection of a previous "biggest shithole" thread where I mentioned North Woolwich. I'm from Manchester and we used visit my gran in the concrete horror of Hulme; I've lived in London for 20 years and am familiar with the scraggier ends of Brixton, Peckham and Tottenham... but walking around North Woolwich with GTW in broad daylight, we were both gradually engulfed by a feeling of impending doom that neither of us had ever experienced before. Nothing happened, nobody said anything or even paid us any attention. But we couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I suppose we should go back to see if we still have the same reaction. But I don't know if I could summon up the courage.


Congratulations in incorporating,possibly for the first time in living memory,the words "Hull" and "cultural scene" in the same paragraph.
I can only assume that your colleague was born and bred in a United Nations refugee camp if she can accentuate the positives of Hull.
If you want culture in Hull,I would suggest buying some yoghurt.
Come,come nuclear bombs...
James Dean was just a careless driver,and Marilyn Monroe was just a slag...
bob falconscotch
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Mamucium

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests