Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby SPT » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:49 pm

bluesman wrote:
although I didn't own the sports centre or tennis club, I did own Hinckley Sound Centre. And it was one of the greatest record shops of all times - noisy, friendly (except to the goons who purloined record sleeves for their bedroom walls), informative, cheap and expert. It's a pity that the citizens of Rugby (now there's a shithole) didn't feel the same about the shop I opened there; if they had done, HSC would still be going (my fault...a failed attempt to be Branson). And more.....it had a great Rugby Club, a superb wine bar in Karns run by the beautiful Chrissy (who I saw recently and hasn't changed a bit);

Ha ha - having opened the hostilities on Hinckley, I am glad I acknowledged the greatness of Hinckley Sound Centre. I definitely bought the OP8 album off you and probably a few more. And as per my post, Mrs SPT lodged with the lovely Chrissie for a year (we're still in touch).
You can always outrun a golfer

http://www.soundsxp.com
Always changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/
SPT

Postby Shafty69 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Sorry to ressurect this thread but i was looking into how shit Egremont is as I went there last night for a takeaway. Anyhow as bad as Egremont is its nothing compared to the domp that is Gosport.
Shafty69

Postby pomfob » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:51 am

Strange that I refrained from mentioning the city of my birth, Plymouth. What a dull, soulless, concrete void. If there was a graph with the x axis representing the size of a place and the y showing the amount of cultural activity, Plymouth would be crawling along the bottom like a catfish. Escaped in 1986, not spent more than a couple of weeks a year in it since...heavily bombed during the Blitz, it probably needs another war to flatten it and start again.

Oh, and there's a bunch of decaying nuclear submarines spitting distance from one of the more heavily populated estates. That's totally safe and not worth worrrying about, isn't it?
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:30 pm

While looking for something else, I stumbled on this thread, then stumbled on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1392

We've been to some seriously shitty places down the years, haven't we?
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:54 am

pomfob wrote:While looking for something else, I stumbled on this thread, then stumbled on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1392

Was this prompted by our discussing Cumbernauld and associated Scottish new towns last night? :)
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby pomfob » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:05 am

Blackout wrote:
pomfob wrote:While looking for something else, I stumbled on this thread, then stumbled on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1392

Was this prompted by our discussing Cumbernauld and associated Scottish new towns last night? :)

Oddly not, but lordy it is a shit town. Not as bad as Livingston, but that opinion is mainly to do with the proximity of the railway station to the football ground (Cumbernauld, bit of a hike. Livingston, fucking miles).
pomfob

Postby montagne » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Whilst I hate the idea of being a resurrectionist, in this case I don't mind as it's one of the best I've visited on any forum. We could get in touch with Channel 4 with a view to getting louis Theroux or Kate Adie to do a series on these shitholes but I doubt they'd visit most of these places due to insurance issues.

I've luckily never lived in any of these dumps previously mentioned but did spend my Army days in Aldershot, where "This is Aldershot" on the tannoy of the train was the highlight of the place. Though the pubs such as 5's and the Peggy and the Rat Pit where awesome but deadly. Belfast in the 'Troubles' was as dire as they come, but for completly different reasons.
montagne

Postby Rake » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:49 am

montagne wrote:I've luckily never lived in any of these dumps previously mentioned but did spend my Army days in Aldershot, where "This is Aldershot" on the tannoy of the train was the highlight of the place. Though the pubs such as 5's and the Peggy and the Rat Pit where awesome but deadly. Belfast in the 'Troubles' was as dire as they come, but for completly different reasons.

I've been to Aldershot a few times, notably as a kid for the big army thing, which I enjoyed at the time (explosions! climbing ropes! yay!), when Brighton & Hove Albion played there back in the day and a lad I used to play Sunday football with was arrested for assaulting the Chief Constable of Hampshire and knocking his hat off (well, if you're going to take out a copper....) and most recently (though not that recent) a thoroughly bizarre but very enjoyable James Yorkston gig at The West End Centre where there were only about 50 people in the audience and it was absolutely freezing in the room he played. That gig, apart from being great musically, has become more poignant for me since as it was one of the last that Dougie played bass with James before falling terminally ill.
Rake

Postby avocetboy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Rake wrote:[ The West End Centre where there were only about 50 people in the audience and it was absolutely freezing in the room he played. That gig, apart from being great musically, has become more poignant for me since as it was one of the last that Dougie played bass with James before falling terminally ill.

And, also, where BSP played in 2007
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Postby Blackout » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:21 pm

avocetboy wrote:
Rake wrote:[ The West End Centre where there were only about 50 people in the audience and it was absolutely freezing in the room he played. That gig, apart from being great musically, has become more poignant for me since as it was one of the last that Dougie played bass with James before falling terminally ill.

And, also, where BSP played in 2007

(it was 2006 actually) and they still send me a forthcoming events programme, a proper magazine like thing, in the post 3-4 times a year. because I bought tickets directly from them. Once. 12 fucking years ago. Their records must surely show that I live absolutely nowhere near Aldershot and have never been back since. A colossal wastefulness, but I've not got round to phoning them and asking to be taken off their list yet. I mean it's easy with emails isn't it, just hit unsubscribe... I strongly suspect they will continue to send brochures out to everyone who has ever bought a ticket off them until long after the apocalypse...
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby bancroftboy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:54 pm

Was it that long ago? I still get the little booklet thing in the post too.
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
bancroftboy

Postby avocetboy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:56 pm

bancroftboy wrote:Was it that long ago? I still get the little booklet thing in the post too.

Likewise, still get it and I tend to look through it to see whats on, despite the fact that I will never go again
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Postby Rake » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 am

I don't get a little booklet. I feel left out. Mind you, I wasn't at the BSP gig there, so perhaps I don't count :)
Rake

Postby redc » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:25 pm

I (& a few of 'us') saw BSP play the West End Centre in Aldershot twice. The last time was, I'm pretty sure, Alan BluishBlack's final BSP gig - which would make it some time around early 2010. For me, that gig was most notable for the first play of Cleaning Out The Rooms, a song also played (in pre-Zeus-release recorded form) as exit music at Alan's funeral a few months later.

I have to admit, I think the town is a bit of a S-H. Reluctantly, partly because of the West End Centre, and partly because it is/was the 'Hometown' of the late, great Our Lost Infantry, who played an emotional farewell gig at the West End Centre 2 or 3 years back. Also the town had a song* written about its streetlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcHOCbkugfY

[*Coincidently, this song touches on a similar subject to Lights Out - another song played pre-release by BSP at the West End Centre, but at their first gig there. I know at least one of (the then future?) members of OLI - Matt Mostlyscarce of this place - was in attendance.]
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby gtw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:37 am

First time I saw iLiKETRAiNS was at that Aldershot Westy BSP gig. LIked them so much I bought their Beeching cuts map T shirt that very night. Wish I knew where that's gone.
how's it going to end?
gtw

PreviousNext

Return to General