Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Biggest shithole you've ever been too?

Postby Ketchup » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:53 pm

Took the girlfriend on a day trip to Gateshead/Hartlepool/Middlesbrough yesterday. All amazing, especially when Transporter Bridges are involved and the train has Monopoly boards built into the tables.

Follow a Conference team and you visit shitholes, although it's generally bland commuterville that's worse than supposedly notorious places. The worst was Grays on a Tuesday night in January for a postponed FA Trophy replay featured an urban fox running across the terrace, gaggles of 14 year old girls pleading with me to buy them Vodka and an overwhelming sense of 60s concrete slum-overspill no-character shitness. One side of the ground had burnt down so they'd just built some flats along the touchline instead and the backdrop looked like the cover of Original Pirate Material.

Honourable mentions for anywhere in Holderness.
Ketchup

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:03 am

Dewsbury. Warrington. Stockton on Tees. Nieuwe Vennep.

For a city, Duisburg takes some beating, but I like Germans so I'll let it off
Die "beste Show ever" (c) British Sea Power) beinhaltete fliegende Zwiebeln, einen Plüsch-Pferdekopf, Walzer-tanzende Fans und Musiker, das Besteigen der Boxen, das unabsichtliche Zerstören der Speaker (und einer Gitarre und einem Keyboard).
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby The Good Doctor » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:17 am

I don't think Scunthorpe deserves to be mentioned here: It gave us Amazing Blondel.

In addition to my previous entries:

"Welcome to Larne" is surely the most demoralizing sign on the planet. It is blighted by drab buildings, empty tower blocks with dolphins painted on the side, a stench quite unlike any other seaside town, a long tradition of sectarian hatred and its inhabitants. On the coast the view is dominated by Ballylumford power station, a massive belching carbuncle on the nearby Islandmagee. (Islandmagee's inhabitants are so backward due to inbreeding that they haven't discovered the wheel or that they live on a penninsula and not an island - they have a holiday resort called Portmuck; says it all!)
... The best thing to come out of Larne is the ferry to Cairnryan.

Unlike many of the places mentioned in this thread that, because of circumstance or situation, couldn't be any better, Larne could be a top notch place; it is out of choice that it isn't.
The Good Doctor

Postby de lacey » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:45 am

SPT wrote:
Mons Quiff wrote:Mansfield is grim, it's like a downmarket Bury with a worse market.

Indeed, though it's a jewel compared to Sutton in Ashfield.

But my vote goes to Hinckley, Nuneaton's downmarket neighbour.

(Though in fariness I've not been to any of these places in a few years - and don't plan to - they might have improved...)

Hinckley was great, i lived there for several years when i was in my teens...home of one of the greatest record shops of all times, the aptly named Hinckley Sound Centre, great sports centre and tennis club, and (due to the local shoe and tights factories) a ratio of girls to men of about ten to one.

what more could a spotty 17 year old want...

Of course it's all gone now...
de lacey

Postby SPT » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:27 am

de lacey wrote:
Hinckley was great, i lived there for several years when i was in my teens...home of one of the greatest record shops of all times, the aptly named Hinckley Sound Centre, great sports centre and tennis club, and (due to the local shoe and tights factories) a ratio of girls to men of about ten to one.

euuchhh. Mrs SPT lived there for the first year that we were together (working for a company making pants, natch), greater love hath no man than he who would travel up to the wasteland of Hinckley every other weekend. I'll cede the Hinckley Sound Centre was a fine place, but when she first lived there she rented a room in a house full of loonies, with a woman next door who used to wander into the garden in the dark and try to look through the windows. And if you had a light on past 10 o'clok she'd stand in the garden shouting "I know what you're doing" and banging on the windows. Which, given that we were on the first floor, required quite a complicated contraption.

Fortunately she escaped to share with a very nice lady, a photographer who worked part-time in Somerfield and had previously managed Hinckley's premier nitespot, Karn's (named after Mick).
You can always outrun a golfer

http://www.soundsxp.com
Always changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/
SPT

Postby avocetboy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:20 pm

Skegness...Jesus.....

Decided, after a hard days work, to go for Fish and Chips in Skeggy. Parked up and made our walk to "Chip Pan Alley". Immediately came accross a bench outside the train station occupied by 5 alchies, 3 of whom looked about 16, drinking White Lightning. As we passed, one vomited all over the floor. We continued on, to observe the most hideous freaks that modern society has produced. Fat overweight women, blokes with ugly tattoos, Kids screaming and being shouted at. One guy, in a string vest, berating his kids, swearing etc. The Fish and Chips which are usually good, were cold. To try and improve the evening we finished off with an ice cream. Crap "Mr Whippy" chemical shite...Never....ever...go to Skegness in August. If you do go, go in spring and go for a walk at Gibralter Point.
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Postby icehaven » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:23 am

Isn't Duisberg where Herr Lipp from the League of Gentlemen is supposedly from? Ha!
People from the West Midlands
Shouldn't be allowed on Television
icehaven

Postby Smoggy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:00 pm

avocetboy wrote:Skegness...Jesus.....

Decided, after a hard days work, to go for Fish and Chips in Skeggy. Parked up and made our walk to "Chip Pan Alley". Immediately came accross a bench outside the train station occupied by 5 alchies, 3 of whom looked about 16, drinking White Lightning. As we passed, one vomited all over the floor. We continued on, to observe the most hideous freaks that modern society has produced. Fat overweight women, blokes with ugly tattoos, Kids screaming and being shouted at. One guy, in a string vest, berating his kids, swearing etc. The Fish and Chips which are usually good, were cold. To try and improve the evening we finished off with an ice cream. Crap "Mr Whippy" chemical shite...Never....ever...go to Skegness in August. If you do go, go in spring and go for a walk at Gibralter Point.

God, I miss skegness
Smoggy

Postby ORK (Original Red Kite) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:39 pm

GustavusTheGreat wrote:Depends ....
Phnom Penh in Cambodia is filthy, dirty, noisy and smelly, but rather cool at the same time.

As for the UK, it would have to be Bratfud or Blackpool. Total Shitholes from what I have seen of them.

Bratfud for me...home of the biggest shithole of a pub I've ever been in (a woman pissed in a chair before leaving, a bloke came in, sat in her chair and, on realising he was wet through, stood up, dropped his keks and hung them over a chair in front of the fire and sat down again in his undercrackers to finish his pint).

And Bulwell, Notts...the motorised wheelchair capital of the world.
Hanx...
ORK (Original Red Kite)

Postby Teutone » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:11 pm

Lancashire Fusileer wrote:For a city, Duisburg takes some beating, but I like Germans so I'll let it off

what??

you haven't been to Kamplintfort, have you?

---

I say Niagara City.
The Fjordhorse, a charming and reliable family horse.
Teutone

Postby avocetboy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:14 pm

ORK (Original Red Kite) wrote:
GustavusTheGreat wrote:Depends ....
Phnom Penh in Cambodia is filthy, dirty, noisy and smelly, but rather cool at the same time.

As for the UK, it would have to be Bratfud or Blackpool. Total Shitholes from what I have seen of them.

Bratfud for me...home of the biggest shithole of a pub I've ever been in (a woman pissed in a chair before leaving, a bloke came in, sat in her chair and, on realising he was wet through, stood up, dropped his keks and hung them over a chair in front of the fire and sat down again in his undercrackers to finish his pint).

One of the most uncomfortable experiences I have ever encountered, never before has a shit pint of beer been drunks so quick
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Postby Fox » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:53 pm

One of the most stupid things I've ever done is accidentally wander into Casal Ventoso in Libson, Europe's biggest and worst drugs ghetto:

To quote the BBC "A near derelict warren of shacks and squalid smack houses on one of Lisbon's seven hills. Casal Ventoso's long main winding street - known as Portugal's drugs supermarket - is lined with hundreds of addicts desperate to buy their next fix. The place is a virtual no go area for police who, despite their new benevolent role, are regarded by the junkies as the enemy, because they scare off the dealers. It is also avoided by most Portuguese, who are afraid of being mugged by addicts wielding Aids infected syringes."

Had to get a bus to get out of there and the six minute wait was probably the scariest six minutes of my life!
Fox

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:10 am

Teutone wrote:
you haven't been to Kamplintfort, have you?

I haven't mate, just been looking at it on Google, it looks nuts.
Die "beste Show ever" (c) British Sea Power) beinhaltete fliegende Zwiebeln, einen Plüsch-Pferdekopf, Walzer-tanzende Fans und Musiker, das Besteigen der Boxen, das unabsichtliche Zerstören der Speaker (und einer Gitarre und einem Keyboard).
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby Szabo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:13 am

Bradford 'least attractive city for visitors'

Bradford tops least visited list
It has been revealed that Bradford in Yorkshire is the city travellers least want to visit as it is deemed "dangerous, ugly and boring".

Another Yorkshire town, Wakefield, was considered the next least-attractive place for visitors as it was "dull and depressing", according to a poll of 5,000 people conducted by hotel company Travelodge.

Other locations high on the do-not-visit list were Dundee (due to bad weather there), Sunderland (nothing to offer with dislikeable local accents) and Newport in South Wales, which was seen as having a high crime rate.

London led the list of the most-visited cities as well being the city most Britons were planning to visit this year. The next most-visited cities were Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh and York.

Jane Glaister, Bradford Council's strategic director for culture, tourism and sport, said: "Bradford is a great city to visit. It's home to the National Media Museum, the most visited museum outside London and host to the nationally acclaimed Bradford Film Festival.

"Also, Bradford has recently been designated as Unesco City of Film - the only city in the world to achieve this designation."

These were the least visited towns and cities in the UK:

1. Bradford

2. Wakefield

3. Dundee

4. Sunderland

5. Newport

6. St David's

7. Wells

8. Ely

9. Ripon

10. Lichfield
its not abaht getting pissed, its all abaht the art innit?
Szabo

Postby Northern Pete » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:33 am

Szabo wrote:Bradford 'least attractive city for visitors'

Nonsense

Szabo wrote:dangerous, ugly, dull and depressing with dislikeable local accents and having a high crime rate

Sounds like London to me
Northern Pete

PreviousNext

Return to General